How did I get denied....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rsoxfan5000

New

How did I get denied....

Postby rsoxfan5000 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:30 pm

Cornell just denied me with a 3.87 and a 168. I figured I had about a 50/50 shot at waitlist/accept, but I did not think I would get denied because I was at both 75ths. I have pretty good ECs (leadership in 2 clubs, legal internships, volunteer work), and my personal statement was good (at least according to my English professors and advisor). What could have caused them to deny me?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: How did I get denied....

Postby UVA2B » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Any number of factors could have been at play, but the most likely: they thought you wouldn't come to Cornell, so yield protect. It's a bit harsh with a straight rejection, but it could still be at play. Otherwise I would look back on my application materials and see if I screwed anything up.

jdanz

Bronze

Postby jdanz » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Cornell has just been weird this cycle man, but a reject is still surprising. How was your interview ?

rsox5000

New

Postby rsox5000 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:35 am

I didn't even get an interview..... I actually have an idea of what might have done it. I go to a decent school (the average SAT for reading and math is about 600) that gets about 1-2 kids into the T14 each year. One of my friends (3.90 and 170) applied ED to Cornell and got in. Do you think I might have gotten denied because they didn't want to take multiple kids from a school that's not top tier? That's honestly all I can think of. I got into Michigan, Berkeley, and Georgetown and my friend did not apply to any of those.

rsox5000

New

Postby rsox5000 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:44 am

I just checked my application and there were no errors. That was my first thought (I used the same personal statement template as Michigan and I was scared I left a Michigan in there somewhere lol), but it was a clean application.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:46 am

I don't think it's that.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:03 am

Cornell's going for an entering class of 24 this year. Don't take it personally.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:05 am

Could be a bad letter of recommendation, something about the tone of the personal statement, or some other mistake that you're just not seeing yet.

I'll give you feedback on your personal statement if you'd like, PM me if so.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:06 am

you have some great admissions. it helps not to try and read tea leaves because it could be any number of things. i'm sorry about cornell, but hey you are going to go to a great school and get some great opportunities out of it!

Incrementalist

Bronze

Postby Incrementalist » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:21 am

If I were you I wouldn't read too much into the rejection. You have really great options and unless you otherwise really wanted to go to Cornell you shouldn't let it bother you. Maybe Cornell just wasn't the opportunity for you to be great.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:21 am

Don't worry too much. Cornell has surprised a lot of people with denies this year.

Purple Post It Note

New

Postby Purple Post It Note » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:35 am

Don't worry, I've been accepted to higher t14s but also got rejected by Cornell.

Wouldn't hurt to run your application through another set of eyes for safe measure.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:44 am

Incrementalist wrote:Maybe Cornell just wasn't the opportunity for you to be great.

can i hire you to motivate me every morning

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:50 am

I doubt the school you go to is a factor of why you got denied. There are people with better numbers than you who have gotten denied by them this cycle, it's just a weird one this time with Cornell.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:53 am

rsox5000 wrote:I didn't even get an interview..... I actually have an idea of what might have done it. I go to a decent school (the average SAT for reading and math is about 600) that gets about 1-2 kids into the T14 each year. One of my friends (3.90 and 170) applied ED to Cornell and got in. Do you think I might have gotten denied because they didn't want to take multiple kids from a school that's not top tier? That's honestly all I can think of. I got into Michigan, Berkeley, and Georgetown and my friend did not apply to any of those.

Wow your friend fucked up, but that's besides the point.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:03 am

Alexandros wrote:Cornell's going for an entering class of 24 this year. Don't take it personally.

this

Incrementalist

Bronze

Postby Incrementalist » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Incrementalist wrote:Maybe Cornell just wasn't the opportunity for you to be great.

can i hire you to motivate me every morning

I just try and keep a positive outlook and motivate everyone because this process can really weigh an individual and make you feel not good enough sometimes. But just being in the position to even apply to law school is an accomplishment within itself and no one should ever doubt themselves off of just a rejection. I see it like this, there is always a circumstance shielding an individual from going somewhere. Maybe that isn't the place for them. You have an opportunity to do wonderful things somewhere else.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:45 pm

1.) If you've underperformed across the board, it's a rec, your writing sample and PS suggesting they're written by 2 different offers or some other red flag.

2.) A reviewer at a similar school told me they try to filter out assholes by reading the PS's. Asshole is subjective, and maybe something there turned someone off?

3.) Could be related to applying late with good #'s. If you applied to other schools months before, and don't have a specific reason for wanting Cornell, they may assume you'll only matriculate with substantial aid money that they don't want to give you. In this case, accepting you is a waste. Years back I was denied at a TT because I replied to a random "why would you apply here" call with "seems like a great school..... hoping for aid money". Once they determined they can't/don't want to give a big offer then there's no benefit in accepting you.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:52 pm

rsoxfan5000 wrote:Cornell just denied me with a 3.87 and a 168. I figured I had about a 50/50 shot at waitlist/accept, but I did not think I would get denied because I was at both 75ths. I have pretty good ECs (leadership in 2 clubs, legal internships, volunteer work), and my personal statement was good (at least according to my English professors and advisor). What could have caused them to deny me?

Don't worry at ALL. Cornell is not to be taken seriously this cycle.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:54 pm

Have you ever been mean to anyone? If so, did that person work for Cornell Admissions?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:28 pm

Rigo wrote:
rsox5000 wrote:I didn't even get an interview..... I actually have an idea of what might have done it. I go to a decent school (the average SAT for reading and math is about 600) that gets about 1-2 kids into the T14 each year. One of my friends (3.90 and 170) applied ED to Cornell and got in. Do you think I might have gotten denied because they didn't want to take multiple kids from a school that's not top tier? That's honestly all I can think of. I got into Michigan, Berkeley, and Georgetown and my friend did not apply to any of those.

Underrated post. ED to Cornell = terrible life choice. :lol:

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Postby BruiseWillis » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:49 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Yeah especially with those numbers, OP you should be a friend and convince him to drop/apply next cycle

TAD

Bronze

Postby TAD » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:55 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Lol I didn't wanna be the one to call out his/her friend.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Alexandros wrote:Cornell's going for an entering class of 24 this year. Don't take it personally.

I laughed

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Last edited by HYPSM on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�