Merit $$$ and Late Cycle Apps

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mrtux45

Bronze

Merit $$$ and Late Cycle Apps

Postby mrtux45 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm considering sending out some last minute applications, but understand this generally leads to worse results than earlier in the cycle, especially when it comes to merit aid.

First, does this only apply to schools that award scholarships with admissions?

Second, could I still use other scholarships to negotiate with late cycle apps if I don't get good results? I'm confused as to whether they are less generous because they don't think you're serious about attending, or if there's just no money left to give.

Could solid numbers and a good whyX compensate for a late app, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Merit $$$ and Late Cycle Apps

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:27 pm

mrtux45 wrote:...or if there's just no money left to give.

This is the general reason people don't recommend late applications. It applies to schools across the board, even those who don't send out scholarships with the application. Those schools generally ask you to turn in all your financial aid info by a specific day in February in order to meet the "priority deadline" for scholarship consideration. The vast majority of scholarship funds are given out to the people who meet that deadline. If you apply now, for example, there's almost no chance you'll hear back from a school prior to the deadline, so you're automatically in the remaining group of admitted students who are fighting over the scraps from the table. And you'll also hear back later than other students, so you'll have less time to negotiate and make decisions.

Easterbork

Bronze

Re: Merit $$$ and Late Cycle Apps

Postby Easterbork » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:33 pm

mrtux45 wrote:I'm considering sending out some last minute applications, but understand this generally leads to worse results than earlier in the cycle, especially when it comes to merit aid.

First, does this only apply to schools that award scholarships with admissions?

Second, could I still use other scholarships to negotiate with late cycle apps if I don't get good results? I'm confused as to whether they are less generous because they don't think you're serious about attending, or if there's just no money left to give.

Could solid numbers and a good whyX compensate for a late app, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks!

It depends. A school could become desperate for your lsat as they start to get a better picture of what their class looks like later in the cycle. Many people have success getting more money late. The conventional wisdom of getting your apps in early is probably fair, but given that you are at where you are now, there is little reason not to apply. Ask for a fee waiver and the cost is minimal.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�