Will a school like UC Irvine negotiate scholarship against a school like U of Alabama?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
negoques

New

Will a school like UC Irvine negotiate scholarship against a school like U of Alabama?

Postby negoques » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Want to increase scholarship package at Irvine, from California, and have no interest in going to Alabama. They are both ranked #28, but are in completely different markets and are very different law schools. My application indicated a strong interest to attend Irvine. Would it be worth it send in an application to U of Alabama (have fee waiver) to try and get a higher $$$ and then using it to negotiate Irvine up?

zot1

Gold

Re: Will a school like UC Irvine negotiate scholarship against a school like U of Alabama?

Postby zot1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Since you have a fee waiver, just try it. It doesn't cost you anything but a bit of time.

However, I doubt they'd go for it. The kind of people who want to go to UCI do not care to go to Bama.

Incrementalist

Bronze

Re: Will a school like UC Irvine negotiate scholarship against a school like U of Alabama?

Postby Incrementalist » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 am

Like the other respondent said since you received a fee waiver it doesn't hurt but to try. I am not sure if Irvine would negotiate with Bama though. You can throw your hat and the ring and see what happens though. It doesn't hurt but to try and see what your results would be.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:20 pm

I agree with both posts above. Scholarship offers from UCLA and USC would be much more useful in negotiations.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:33 pm

I was able to negotiate a scholarship using an offer from a higher ranked school outside of California. The difference was that the school was in a major city, so it was more believable that I would pick that school over UCI. And it wasn't a successful negotiation per se because even though the school doubled its offer (yay!), the offer was only good if I deferred for a year (fuck). As someone who was set on going to school that year, I missed out on that additional money.

On the contrary, UCI will be more likely to up your offer, for the same year, if you have competing UCLA/USC offers.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm

zot1 wrote:I was able to negotiate a scholarship using an offer from a higher ranked school outside of California. The difference was that the school was in a major city, so it was more believable that I would pick that school over UCI. And it wasn't a successful negotiation per se because even though the school doubled its offer (yay!), the offer was only good if I deferred for a year (fuck). As someone who was set on going to school that year, I missed out on that additional money.

On the contrary, UCI will be more likely to up your offer, for the same year, if you have competing UCLA/USC offers.

Would you mind mentioning which school you used in the negotiation, or at least the relative ranking (T14, T20, T25 etc.)? The reason I am asking is because I may find myself in a similar situation (applied to USC/UCLA/UCI/CAL) for the upcoming admission cycle, barring I decide to retake a 3rd time because of less than enticing offers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�