I messed up, and need advice on moving forward.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Number_L25371794

New

I messed up, and need advice on moving forward.

Postby Number_L25371794 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Tl;dr
- Applied early Nov. with mediocre LSAT score
-Registered for Dec. all schools held :/
-Score dropped and chose the bar over brewery
-Received acceptance from dream schools in Jan
- No money, too late for scholarships
-Do I defer?
Last edited by Number_L25371794 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Re: I messed up, and need advice on moving forward.

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Should you take T30? I'd say no. Look at the schools you're capable of getting into.

Have you even gotten scholly info from all the places you've been accepted yet? I didn't even think that all those schools had started rolling out scholly info yet. Some schools don't give out scholly info until Feb/March. Duke interviews for $$. I don't know what a 168ish is, but if it's a 168, I'd imagine you'll be able to get at least some money from some T14s. How much debt you're willing to take on is more of a personal decision though, and also depends on what your career goals are. Biglaw is generally the goal for folks who take on a lot of debt, but LRAP may also be a good option if you intend to do public interest work.

The debt thing is definitely scary though. "How much debt is too much debt?/How much debt should I expect to have based on my stats?" is the question I've been obsessing over recently.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:31 pm

Please tell me you were not dumb enough to make your forum name your LSAC number. You realize that schools actually use it as a piece of identifying info, right?

Number_L25371794

New

Postby Number_L25371794 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Please tell me you were not dumb enough to make your forum name your LSAC number. You realize that schools actually use it as a piece of identifying info, right?

All they will see is a woman who has the option of going to other schools and can be easily persuaded by money. :mrgreen: :P

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:51 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Please tell me you were not dumb enough to make your forum name your LSAC number. You realize that schools actually use it as a piece of identifying info, right?

omg. dead.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:55 pm

My advice is not to make a username on an internet forum that includes personal information in it.

Seriously.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:59 pm

How do you know you won't get money?
You sound like a bit of an impulsive mess and don't take advice well. We know scores don't get averaged. It's been established many times.
Change your user name already. Anonymity is important.
Wait until you get all your info and then make decisions.

Edit to add: when you have all your acceptances and cost, post your actual cost of attendance numbers. There are schools that have great programs for public interest lawyers to repay debt.

Also, why are you retaking?
Last edited by Npret on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm screaming.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:04 pm

I mean OP didn't post anything that would raise the hackles of an adcomm... I don't see what the big deal is. No, not the smartest username, but I doubt it actually matters.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:12 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:I mean OP didn't post anything that would raise the hackles of an adcomm... I don't see what the big deal is. No, not the smartest username, but I doubt it actually matters.

It's not that she posted anything terrible about herself. It's that anonimity is much better for things like scholarship negotiations, region she wants to work in, potential career interests, likelihood of attendance, etc.

Adcoms will always search this forum for mentions of their school, so there is no chance they won't identify her.

By the way, congrats on your acceptances. You don't seem to have messed up badly to me and I'm not sure why you think you have to attend schools at sticker.
Sorry if I sounded too harsh. You can get good advice on this forum.

Number_L25371794

New

Postby Number_L25371794 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:34 pm

Hey guys, OP here.

Username is obviously random numbers. I didn't think anyone would actually believe it was my LS#. I'm sorry if this stressed yall out.

My stats, and some schools are also changed. I used sister schools and stats within the same brackets. Again, sorry for the undue stress this may have caused. :oops:

So I was researching and it seems no schools except HYSC are worth it on just the LRAP alone.

If I don't get any considerable $$$ and an adcom doesn't neg on my acceptance because of this post, should I defer and apply for the various school scholarships the next cycle?

thanks brinicolec for the insight

edit: I'm retaking because I'm ashamed of my non 170+ scores when I know I can do better. I started with a 149 diagnostic and have been prepping for months. F the LSAT
Last edited by Number_L25371794 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:

omg. dead.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:36 pm

stole ur identity hope u don't mind

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Number_L25371794 wrote:Hey guys, OP here.

Username is obviously random numbers. I didn't think anyone would actually believe it was my LS#. I'm sorry if this stressed yall out.

My stats, and some schools are also changed. I used sister schools and stats within the same brackets. Again, sorry for the undue stress this may have caused. :oops:

So I was researching and it seems no schools except HYSC are worth it on just the LRAP alone.

If I don't get any considerable $$$ and an adcom doesn't neg on my acceptance because of this post, should I defer and apply for the various school scholarships the next cycle?

thanks brinicolec for the insight

edit: I'm retaking because I'm ashamed of my non 170+ scores when I know I can do better. I started with a 149 diagnostic and have been prepping for months. F the LSAT

Good.
I don't know if a June retake will help you get more money from these schools? Maybe someone else can help.
I thought Berkeley had a good LRAP program?

I don't see how you can make decisions without knowing the amounts. This is all very speculative.

Which school specific scholarships are you talking about? Do you mean you messed up this cycle by not applying for them because you didn't think you would get in?

At the worst case scenario you will wait a year and reapply. I would be sure that any school you turn down this cycle knows that it's for financial reasons so you can hopefully get more money next cycle. Make sure they know your situation.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Npret wrote:
Good.
I don't know if a June retake will help you get more money from these schools? Maybe someone else can help.
I thought Berkeley had a good LRAP program?

I don't see how you can make decisions without knowing the amounts. This is all very speculative.

Which school specific scholarships are you talking about? Do you mean you messed up this cycle by not applying for them because you didn't think you would get in?

At the worst case scenario you will wait a year and reapply. I would be sure that any school you turn down this cycle knows that it's for financial reasons so you can hopefully get more money next cycle. Make sure they know your situation.

This. I was prepared to consider paying sticker for a school I shouldn't pay sticker for, and then I got a 70% scholarship. Wait and see what happens.

Number_L25371794

New

Postby Number_L25371794 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Npret wrote:Which school specific scholarships are you talking about? Do you mean you messed up this cycle by not applying for them because you didn't think you would get in? .

This exactly. And I was under the impression that because they were school specific I would need an acceptance first. My b.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Dude, relax. It's January. You still have a loooooong time to hear back about scholarship amounts. Plus, you'll still be able to take out loans and pay them back like practically every other law student. You're going to be fine.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:43 pm

floatie wrote:Dude, relax. It's January. You still have a loooooong time to hear back about scholarship amounts. Plus, you'll still be able to take out loans and pay them back like practically every other law student. You're going to be fine.

+1
Also you might try celebrating your accomplishments so far.

tncats

Bronze

Postby tncats » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Npret wrote:
floatie wrote:Dude, relax. It's January. You still have a loooooong time to hear back about scholarship amounts. Plus, you'll still be able to take out loans and pay them back like practically every other law student. You're going to be fine.

+1
Also you might try celebrating your accomplishments so far.

I second this. 168 is definitely not a mediocre score either. It's excellent objectively, even if you think you can do better.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�