Legal Employment or no?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Aurelius85

New

Legal Employment or no?

Postby Aurelius85 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:25 am

Hey guys,

Here's some background: I'm 32 and during these last 10 years I've worked in the payroll industry (1yr), a hotel (1yr), and now at a law firm (3yrs). I've also clerked at the LA Superior Court (1yr) and at the DA's Office (2yrs). I've also been unemployed for about 2 yrs in between these experiences and jobs. I've been prepping for the LSAT for some time now, however I'm still a few months away before I can confidently take the LSAT and reach my goal of a +170, and then apply for law school. Recently, my firm merged with another, and now I'm out of work.

This brings me to my question: now that I'm looking for work, should I only accept a legal related job?

I'm concerned that if I accept a non-legal related job, the admission's officers will question my commitment and desire to become an attorney. After all, I've worked at two other non-legal related companies (a payroll company and a hotel) in the past, and if I work at third, it might raise some questions about my consistency and interest. I'm going to be a splitter (3.0 GPA, 162 diagnostic), so I need to cover all my bases. However, I also need a job because I've used up all my savings.

I have some clerical experience so I can probably find a job somewhere, even if it's not in a law firm or law office, but should I? Would that hurt my admission chances? Or should I stick to looking for work at a law firm or a law office to strengthen my law school application?

Any and/or all help or advice would really be appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions if need be. Thanks everyone.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Legal Employment or no?

Postby Rigo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Just get a job where you can to make ends meet. Adcoms won't look down on it not being a legal one. You already have a ton more work experience (both legal and not) than the majority of applicants.

Aurelius85

New

Re: Legal Employment or no?

Postby Aurelius85 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:28 am

Rigo wrote:Just get a job where you can to make ends meet. Adcoms won't look down on it not being a legal one. You already have a ton more work experience (both legal and not) than the majority of applicants.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Perhaps you're right.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�