(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
reachchance

New

Postby reachchance » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Last edited by reachchance on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Re: What Schools in the Top 20 are worth sending in an application to?

Postby WamBamThankYouMaam » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:38 pm

I think BC, Emory, Fordham, and Notre Dame would be worth an app. Maybe drop Emory if you don't get a fee waiver.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Where do you want to practice? What kind of job do you hope to get in PI related fields?

reachchance

New

Postby reachchance » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:01 am

Last edited by reachchance on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

reachchance

New

Postby reachchance » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:05 am

Last edited by reachchance on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Postby WamBamThankYouMaam » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:13 am

reachchance wrote:
WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:I think BC, Emory, Fordham, and Notre Dame would be worth an app. Maybe drop Emory if you don't get a fee waiver.

Applied to BC, Emory, and Notre Dame. Think Fordham is worth applying to (don't have a fee waiver for it)?

I think Fordham is worth an app if you could see yourself practicing in NY/NJ. If you have no desire to stay in or around the NY area I'd say no. I also saw that you would prefer to practice in CA, Fordham only places 3.1% of grads there according to LST. I don't think any schools in this range (excluding the ones in CA) place a decent amount of grads there.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:23 am

reachchance wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Where do you want to practice? What kind of job do you hope to get in PI related fields?

I would prefer to practice in California (most schools I applied to were in that state), would also be okay in the Pacific NW, Texas, Chicago, the Northeast, and maybe a few larger cities in the South.

Want to work for a legal aid. If impact litigation or government became an option, I would pursue that.

So, the US metropolitan areas? Hard to narrow down based on that.

In any event, if you have this much geographic flexibility, apply broadly to any region where you'd be interested in practicing.

When you're talking about legal aid and most other forms of PI litigation work, the schools you're talking about are largely fungible and getting a job in the field will be much more about the experience you bring to the table and your demonstrated interest in the given non-profit group. There are others here who have much better knowledge than I do in those fields, so I won't pretend to be an expert.

Just realize that your best bet is to apply broadly and minimize costs. Even though you will ideally be able to use PSLF after graduation for debt, it's the prudent thing to do. None of the schools you're talking about give a leg up in hiring for prestigious PI litigation, so go where cost can be minimized.

Incrementalist

Bronze

Postby Incrementalist » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:18 pm

I think UC Irvine would be a good choice for you since you stated you wanted to be in California. I believe but I'm not 100 percent certain on this but I think their law school is particularly good for those wanting to get into the field of Public Interest. It does seem like a tempting place to study with the offer of money since California is kind of oversaturated with law schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�