NALP Data

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mrtux45

Bronze

NALP Data

Postby mrtux45 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Last edited by mrtux45 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: NALP Data

Postby lymenheimer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:29 pm

how is this different from the ABA employment summary?
What schools are you looking for information for?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:33 pm

NALP reports, at least as far as I understand them, are just slightly more detailed breakdowns of the standard ABA reports with additional info about salaries. A number of schools that aren't shown as reporting via NALP definitely include that information on their site (like Michigan), and others might not include it at all because salary reporting would disabuse too many applicants of the idea that lawyers all get six-figure salaries.

In general, if you're looking at the right schools (T14 for general flexibility, top regional for free if you know where you want to work, etc.), then the NALP data wouldn't tell you anything you can't already figure out. I actually can't think of any circumstance where it would be particularly helpful.

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 pm

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:07 pm

mrtux45 wrote:I'm looking at BC and BU for example..

BC has their 2015 report here: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/do ... 015/bc.pdf

And BU doesn't have their reports up

It's a deeper dive into the ABA reports. Given that I may end up deciding between those two schools, I just wanted to get a detailed look at their employment stats, and I wasn't sure whether I could ask BU about this information, or find similar stats elsewhere

BU and BC are largely the same for employment, as seen on their ABA reports. If you're deciding between the two, take the one that offers the most money. If they're both asking for sticker, then retake and reapply.

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:13 pm

jenesaislaw

Silver

Postby jenesaislaw » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:45 pm

1) There is substantially more data in the NALP Report than the ABA report.
  • Salary information for many categories
  • Breakdowns of employer categories by job type (e.g. of the "Business" jobs, how many require a law license? Are JD Advantage? Of the firm jobs, how many are associates? Staff attorneys? Paralegals? Admins?)
  • Timing: when grads got jobs
  • Source: how grads got jobs
  • Search Status: whether employed grads are looking for another job (satisfaction proxy)
  • Location: states and in-state in home state (ABA only provides top three states)
We are in the process of inputting NALP data into our database. Our volunteers should be finished by late next week. We have a two-step process of entry and approval to ensure two sets of eyes are on all data entered. We just put all the NALP reports up on the NALP Report Database a few days ago.

Right now, if a school published its NALP report for 2014, it is up on the school's LST Reports profile, e.g. https://www.lstreports.com/schools/michigan/ We don't make public the regional salary info anymore, because it's not useful. We also do not keep track of in-state placement (Table 14, http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/do ... chigan.pdf).

We'll update this for 2015 once the data are entered/approved.

2) We encourage schools to put the NALP reports on their websites, but they don't always do so. Likewise they do not all publish. We've been at about 60% publishing or sending to LST in prior years. We're not quite on track for that this year, but hopefully that'll change in the next month as I send some emails to schools.

If a school you're interested in does not publish their report, ask them to. It is not out of bounds. It is not an unreasonable ask. It is not any work for the school beyond scanning and linking the document on their site. If the school can't find the report, NALP will email them a copy very quickly. A school that declines to share it is affirmatively deciding you don't deserve to make an informed decision.

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�