GPA & LSAT (Thrilling title I know)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jciigoe30

New

GPA & LSAT (Thrilling title I know)

Postby jciigoe30 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:35 am

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting on here so forgive me if my topic isn't too unique or if it's in the wrong place.

I am currently currently in my second semester of freshman year at the University at Buffalo. However, I brought in enough credits that I will likely be graduating a year early in 2019. I am a Political Science of Public Law major and Philosophy Minor. I have a 4.0 and can reasonably expect to graduate with a 3.85+. My goal is to attend a T-14 law school.

With that being the case, I was wondering if I should take my GPA and leverage it into transferring into a more target undergrad school for T14 law schools. I would obviously prefer to stay at UB, however I don't know whether a solid GPA from UB will mean as much. I would prefer that my GPA accounts for as much as possible in comparison to my LSAT score and it seems like that may be the case only at more competitive schools.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Re: GPA & LSAT (Thrilling title I know)

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:40 am

lol no.

Stay at your uni. Get a good GPA. Do poorly on the first LSAT. Retake. Crush the LSAT. Attend whatever T14 you want. ????. Profit.

For slightly more in-depth analysis:
They really don't care much at all what your undergrad was IF you have a good GPA and LSAT. If you want T14 you shouldn't even think about it unless you're 168+ (most here would say 170+). If you have 3.85+ and 170+ you should be able to go just about anywhere you want, regardless of undergrad location.

There is not really much situation where a great GPA will make up for a crummy LSAT. They both need to be good to have a good shot at making it to the top (in most cases).

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole

New

Postby ToGetIntoTheBoysHole » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:44 am

Undergraduate school does not matter unless you are applying to Yale

jciigoe30 wrote:I would prefer that my GPA accounts for as much as possible in comparison to my LSAT score and it seems like that may be the case only at more competitive schools.

LSAT will always be > GPA regardless of the school you go to. Some law schools will view the GPA as more important (Cal, USC, etc.) but you still need the LSAT score in order to get in.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Don't transfer just for law school admissions purposes.
Get a great GPA at Buffalo.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 pm

To be clear, law schools care far more about your GPA than the school you attended. You're better off getting a 4.0 at Buffalo than a lower GPA at a better school. The only T14 that *might* care is Yale but you'd have to transfer to an Ivy league UG for it to really make any difference (and this isn't worth it for other reasons).

jciigoe30

New

Postby jciigoe30 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Thank you all for your advice!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�