Resume vs. CV

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
science burner

New

Resume vs. CV

Postby science burner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm applying for this cycle while also finishing my PhD.

My current goal is to go into intellectual property law/patent pros.

My problem is that I've never had to deal with the resume format before as I've been in the academic world which uses the CV format. On a CV length is good as it's a complete accounting of your accomplishments. It currently fits comfortably onto 2 pages with 0.5in margins.

Currently on my CV I have:
  • worked in several labs
  • authorship on at least 5 papers: published, submitted, or in preparation- including a publication in Nature
  • written a book chapter
  • several current or previous professional memberships
  • grant awards
  • poster presentations
  • other various professional activities
Using 0.5in margins and a small 11pt font like Times just putting my education, two main labs, and publications it is over 3/4 of a page before adding any contact info. This also isn't including anything from my UG career or sub-bullets on my lab experiences. So, I don't think there is really a way to display my grad school achievements in a one-page resume format without slashing much of what I have.

Should I go over a page in length because it's relevant to my future goals or just start cutting large chunks of my achievements?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Re: Resume vs. CV

Postby goldenbear2020 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:47 pm

A 2-page resume is fine especially with a PhD and/or significant work experience

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:47 pm

I used an academic cv when I applied (I had done a PhD) and I think it was 4 or 5 pages. Unless a school specifically imposes a 1 page limit, for application purposes you'll be fine.

When applying to jobs you'll need to cut it down, but you won't need a lot of the PhD stuff at that point. (Like the professional memberships and probably the poster presentations and other professional activities.)

science burner

New

Postby science burner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:58 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I used an academic cv when I applied (I had done a PhD) and I think it was 4 or 5 pages. Unless a school specifically imposes a 1 page limit, for application purposes you'll be fine.

When applying to jobs you'll need to cut it down, but you won't need a lot of the PhD stuff at that point. (Like the professional memberships and probably the poster presentations and other professional activities.)

Did you sub-bullet any of your academic experiences? I'm not sure anyone will care about the things I had to do for my project.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:03 pm

I think I provided brief descriptions for my teaching gigs -number and subjects of courses taught and non-course stuff like advising and running study-abroad programs. (Also did that for a couple of admin positions I had in grad school.) Otherwise I don't think I did. You probably don't need a lot of description although to the extent a project involved transferable non-academic skills (like overseeing lab muppets or managing supply logistics or the like) I think a description is fine. I don't think there's the same concern about putting in too much/extraneous info for an application resume as there is for a job resume.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�