Do they really mean 2-4 pages for the PS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpadoreo

New

Do they really mean 2-4 pages for the PS?

Postby kpadoreo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:36 am

Some schools, such as the University of Chicago, allow for a PS of up to 4 pages. I originally wrote the 4 for Berkeley and am now in the process of condensing, but I'm wondering how necessary it is to follow the rule of keeping it at 2 unless you have some really unique backstory. Would it look bad if mine were 2 pages plus one paragraph? Or does that just make it seem like I can't be succinct?

brinicolec

Gold

Re: Do they really mean 2-4 pages for the PS?

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:58 am

Condense it.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:38 am

Always follow the directions for that school's application. 2 pages means 2 pages. While going over might not be an auto-reject, you don't want to seem like someone who can't follow the instructions. If you're having difficulty condensing, you can go down to 11pt font or slightly adjust the margins.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:22 pm

floatie wrote:Always follow the directions for that school's application. 2 pages means 2 pages. While going over might not be an auto-reject, you don't want to seem like someone who can't follow the instructions. If you're having difficulty condensing, you can go down to 11pt font or slightly adjust the margins.

I wouldn't recommend messing with the margins either. That could be as noticeable as someone going over the 2-page limit.

OP, now is as good a time as any to learn to condense, because law school is going to drill that into you.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
floatie wrote:Always follow the directions for that school's application. 2 pages means 2 pages. While going over might not be an auto-reject, you don't want to seem like someone who can't follow the instructions. If you're having difficulty condensing, you can go down to 11pt font or slightly adjust the margins.

I wouldn't recommend messing with the margins either. That could be as noticeable as someone going over the 2-page limit.

OP, now is as good a time as any to learn to condense, because law school is going to drill that into you.

Fair point. I just did 0.8 all around and have gotten into schools with 2pg limits.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�