Couple of resume questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kinch08

Bronze

Couple of resume questions

Postby Kinch08 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:29 am

Hey all,

applying to Chicago and HLS. Currently finalizing my resume. Couple of things I'd like feedback about. Firstly: my latest job is somewhat less impressive than my previous ones. Should I leave it in the resume to show that I have been working, or boot it to make more space for older stuff? Secondly: the way it's formatted right now, I have an "Extracurricular Activities" section, and in addition to some sports stuff I'm thinking about including a bullet point about video games; I played one competitively all through high school and college, with some success. I was thinking about saying something along the lines of "semiprofessional eSports athlete - earned more than $2,000 in prize money at regional [title of video game] tournaments between 2011 and 2016."

Is that too much/too precious? I kind of like it, because it's quirky, but while the prize money thing is true it's not like I'm actually some kind of super talented genius--I've never mentioned it on resumes before. Is it maybe a risk I don't need to take (unprofessional sounding)?
Last edited by Kinch08 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Re: Couple of resume questions

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:39 am

Kinch08 wrote:Hey all,

174/3.87/overrepresented majority, applying to Chicago and HLS. Currently finalizing my resume. Couple of things I'd like feedback about. Firstly: my latest job (tutor with a standardized test prep company) is somewhat less impressive than my previous ones. Should I leave it in the resume to show that I have been working, or boot it to make more space for older stuff? Secondly: the way it's formatted right now, I have an "Extracurricular Activities" section, and in addition to some sports stuff I'm thinking about including a bullet point about video games; I played one competitively all through high school and college, with some success. I was thinking about saying something along the lines of "semiprofessional eSports athlete - earned more than $2,000 in prize money at regional [title of video game] tournaments between 2011 and 2016."

Is that too much/too precious? I kind of like it, because it's quirky, but while the prize money thing is true it's not like I'm actually some kind of super talented genius--I've never mentioned it on resumes before. Is it maybe a risk I don't need to take (unprofessional sounding)?

First of all, I just want to make sure you aren't thinking you're constrained to a one-page limit for your resume. When you talk about space issues, it concerns me that you've bought into that myth. See here for what MS9 has to say on that topic:

==error==/debunking-the-1-page-law-school-resume-myth/

So, my guess is you have plenty of room. I was able to fit all my accomplishments from a 12-year career onto a page in a half. I'm certain you will be able to as well.

Given that info, I'd include everything you listed on your resume. It all adds to a whole-person idea of who you are and what your interests are. However, I probably wouldn't go into "total prize money won"--that's definitely "precious", in your words. Perhaps include something along the lines of "regional champion at XXX tournament" or "state runner-up at XXXX tournament". "Won $X,XXX dollars" seems gauche to me.

Good luck! 8)

Kinch08

Bronze

Postby Kinch08 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:50 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:First of all, I just want to make sure you aren't thinking you're constrained to a one-page limit for your resume. When you talk about space issues, it concerns me that you've bought into that myth. See here for what MS9 has to say on that topic:

==error==/debunking-the-1-page-law-school-resume-myth/

So, my guess is you have plenty of room. I was able to fit all my accomplishments from a 12-year career onto a page in a half. I'm certain you will be able to as well.

Given that info, I'd include everything you listed on your resume. It all adds to a whole-person idea of who you are and what your interests are. However, I probably wouldn't go into "total prize money won"--that's definitely "precious", in your words. Perhaps include something along the lines of "regional champion at XXX tournament" or "state runner-up at XXXX tournament". "Won $X,XXX dollars" seems gauche to me.

Good luck! 8)

I dunno, it's not so much a space issue as an I don't want to list too much issue. Their sample resumes all have 3-5 positions listed, I don't want to list 7 where 3 of them are kind of dinky. The MS9 article you link says that more than 50% of resumes should be only a page--I'm only a year out of college, and I don't have any publications or anything, so I think I'm definitely in the majority.

Probably just gonna remove the video game stuff. Too much of a risk, and I don't really need it. Law School is serious bizness.

laqueredup

Bronze

Postby laqueredup » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kinch08

Bronze

Postby Kinch08 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:11 pm

laqueredup wrote:I think the video game stuff could fit if it fits with your story.. ie you are interested in IP issues related to emerging forms of media or something like that... If it doesn't fit or add value there is no sense in including it though, regardless of space constraints.

It doesn't fit in in any neat way like that. I just thought it was a cool extracurricular, add a little bit of personality and differentiate me from some of the other 15 million english major -> paralegals. That was the "value," but now I'm thinking it's not worth the risk.

laqueredup

Bronze

Postby laqueredup » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Someone put "content editor for Top-Law-Schools" on their resume and got in here. The video game stuff will be an interesting pitch/line item. It's just a resume, it doesn't have to fit within a broad narrative.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�