Can I shorten a university's name in Why X Statement?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpadoreo

New

Can I shorten a university's name in Why X Statement?

Postby kpadoreo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:58 pm

I am writing Why X statements for a few of my applications and wondering if I need to use the full name every time I mention the school. Specifically, can I write 'Penn' instead of 'the University of Pennsylvania Law School' and 'Boalt Hall' instead of 'Berkeley Law'? I've used the full name of the school for most of the essay, but added in these shortened names once or twice so that it doesn't become too repetitive.

KMart

Gold

Re: Can I shorten a university's name in Why X Statement?

Postby KMart » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:37 am

iirc i shortened names after using the full name once. you're worrying too much, op. relax.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:57 am

KMart wrote:iirc i shortened names after using the full name once. you're worrying too much, op. relax.
I shortened it, but kept using the same shortened name every time.

Incrementalist

Bronze

Postby Incrementalist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:40 pm

I would probably shorten the name like the above poster said once I already used the full name. But that is just my opinion because it cuts down on the word length somewhat and gives the opportunity to maybe write about something else of why you would like to attend.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:20 pm

kpadoreo wrote:I am writing Why X statements for a few of my applications and wondering if I need to use the full name every time I mention the school. Specifically, can I write 'Penn' instead of 'the University of Pennsylvania Law School' and 'Boalt Hall' instead of 'Berkeley Law'? I've used the full name of the school for most of the essay, but added in these shortened names once or twice so that it doesn't become too repetitive.

I would think that "Berkeley" would be more natural than "Boalt Hall." Hasn't that name been phased out?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�