What kind of GPA should I aim for to get into a T14 school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
booknerd

New

What kind of GPA should I aim for to get into a T14 school?

Postby booknerd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:48 am

I'm an black male and I'm interested in going to law school. I just finished my first semester of college. Right now I have a 3.0 GPA (I had A's in writing intensive courses, but I did poorly in a science class). I go to one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country. I'm wondering what kind of GPA I should be aiming for if I want to go to a t 14 school. I'm also wondering if law schools consider grades from writing-intensive classes more than those from science or math classes, and also whether law schools look more favorably on a lower GPA if it's from a well-regarded undergraduate institution.

01panm

New

Re: What kind of GPA should I aim for to get into a T14 school?

Postby 01panm » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:00 pm

For admissions purposes, highest GPA possible, at all costs. School/major are just tiebreakers for similar/identical GPA numbers. A 4.0 in fingerpainting from Topeka State is worth more than a 3.6 in physics from Princeton.

On a larger scale, still take what you're interested in. People tend to do better in what they actually give a damn about, Plus, as a freshman there's a good chance you will want to do something else in a few years, and if you majored in fingerpainting for the 4.0 then you're probably screwed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�