(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SUNY1995

New

Postby SUNY1995 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Last edited by SUNY1995 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: Pro's and Cons of Taking the February LSAT

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Pros: None, in your situation. A score increase in February can be used in scholarship negotiations, but it's far less useful than an acceptance/scholarship from another peer school.

Cons: Schools don't accept it. Schools that do accept it won't have space in the class or money for scholarships. Schools that have either are probably not schools you want to be attending.

There is almost never a good reason to rush this process. What is your current LSAT? What are your career goals?

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: Pro's and Cons of Taking the February LSAT

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:55 pm

SUNY1995 wrote:Can someone please explain to me the pros and cons of taking the February LSAT? I definitely do not want to sit out this cycle and wait until next year to apply, so is it worth taking the February LSAT (ideally I want to apply to the T14)? Which schools don't accept this LSAT, and would all of the money already be gone if I were to apply after it since it is pretty late in the cycle? Lets say I got in with my other LSAT score, could I use the February score to negotiate more scholarship money?

Pros: If you did get in with your current score, then you can use it to negotiate for more scholarship money. Or if you're on a waitlist somewhere, it'll probably bump up your chances.

Cons: Many schools won't accept it, since their deadlines will have passed by the time you get your score back. It will be late in the cycle, so there won't be a lot of money left, except at lower tier schools, which it probably isn't in your best interest to attend. You also won't get a detailed score report back - you'll get your score, but no indication of which questions you got wrong. If you end up planning on retaking afterwards, then this can be pretty frustrating.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�