Asking to be put in touch with current students?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xnsch

Bronze

Asking to be put in touch with current students?

Postby xnsch » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:18 pm

So I'm currently trying to make a decision about which law school to attend and I would really like to hear the perspective of current students at the schools I'm looking at, particularly those who may have similar career plans as I do. Would it be okay to email admissions to ask if they have any students with similar goals or plans that would be willing to answer some questions over email or phone or something? Is there also a way I could maybe get in touch with representatives of the career centers from the schools to ask them some questions about the resources the schools offer?

Also would admissions be the best place to email about something like that?

I want to make sure I make an informed decision so it's definitely important for me to hear about specific resources and personal testimony from current students beyond what is advertised on school websites and promotional materials. Thoughts?

*Edit: If it matters, the two schools are HLS and YLS. I'm not sure if there are specific ways to go about doing something like this with those schools...

Dcc617

Gold

Re: Asking to be put in touch with current students?

Postby Dcc617 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:35 pm

xnsch wrote:So I'm currently trying to make a decision about which law school to attend and I would really like to hear the perspective of current students at the schools I'm looking at, particularly those who may have similar career plans as I do. Would it be okay to email admissions to ask if they have any students with similar goals or plans that would be willing to answer some questions over email or phone or something? Is there also a way I could maybe get in touch with representatives of the career centers from the schools to ask them some questions about the resources the schools offer?

I want to make sure I make an informed decision so it's definitely important for me to hear about specific resources and personal testimony from current students beyond what is advertised on school websites and promotional materials. Thoughts?

*Edit: If it matters, the two schools are HLS and YLS. I'm not sure if there are specific ways to go about doing something like this with those schools...

I go to HLS. Ask away.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:12 pm

I assume you're already in, so yes, this is completely appropriate and expected. The admissions office is your point of contact, so they should be the ones to get you in touch with current students and professors.

But as noted, you can also ask people on these forums, and the posters here are less likely to feed you the company line (not that YLS or HLS need a company line).

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:18 pm

Go to Yale unless you'll pay significantly less at Harvard because of the GI bill or something.

xnsch

Bronze

Postby xnsch » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
xnsch wrote:So I'm currently trying to make a decision about which law school to attend and I would really like to hear the perspective of current students at the schools I'm looking at, particularly those who may have similar career plans as I do. Would it be okay to email admissions to ask if they have any students with similar goals or plans that would be willing to answer some questions over email or phone or something? Is there also a way I could maybe get in touch with representatives of the career centers from the schools to ask them some questions about the resources the schools offer?

I go to HLS. Ask away.

I appreciate it! Once I come up with a list of questions I'll be sure to PM you!

xnsch

Bronze

Postby xnsch » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:28 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I assume you're already in, so yes, this is completely appropriate and expected. The admissions office is your point of contact, so they should be the ones to get you in touch with current students and professors.

But as noted, you can also ask people on these forums, and the posters here are less likely to feed you the company line (not that YLS or HLS need a company line).

Awesome, that's good to know. I'll definitely try reaching out on the forums here as well. Thanks

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:09 pm

I am not looking at the Yales and Harvards of the ABA world, but I have been contacting current and recently-graduated students via LinkedIn to bounce questions off of them. Most people get back to me and are more than happy answering any questions that I have - several have given me their number to talk further. One student I am actually having lunch with when I visit the school next month.

LinkedIn is a great resource for that stuff.

xnsch

Bronze

Postby xnsch » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:04 am

bmathers wrote:I am not looking at the Yales and Harvards of the ABA world, but I have been contacting current and recently-graduated students via LinkedIn to bounce questions off of them. Most people get back to me and are more than happy answering any questions that I have - several have given me their number to talk further. One student I am actually having lunch with when I visit the school next month.

LinkedIn is a great resource for that stuff.

Oh LinkedIn is a great, idea. Thanks!

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Postby SamuelDanforth » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:51 am

YLS 1L. Shoot me a message if you have questions that a 1L could answer!

Also, the Admissions Office solicits 1Ls (and perhaps other students) to email admitted students with similar backgrounds/interests to answer questions. But if you've been admitted, and would like to speed up the process, I'm sure they'd be happy to connect you with people. They're terribly friendly.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�