LSAC Gpa Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lawfromday1

New

LSAC Gpa

Post by Lawfromday1 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:15 pm

In high school, I took multiple APs and classes for credit through colleges. They don't factor into my GPA at my University, but on my transcript, they will say things like, "TB" for receiving a 4 on an AP. I wouldn't think that they do, but would these APs and college level courses count towards my LSAC GPA?

Dcc617

Gold

Re: LSAC Gpa

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:24 pm

Lawfromday1 wrote:In high school, I took multiple APs and classes for credit through colleges. They don't factor into my GPA at my University, but on my transcript, they will say things like, "TB" for receiving a 4 on an AP. I wouldn't think that they do, but would these APs and college level courses count towards my LSAC GPA?
No.

ETA http://www.lsac.org/aboutlsac/policies/ ... marization

Lawfromday1

New

Post by Lawfromday1 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:35 pm

Sorry, but I'm slightly confused. Where on that page does it refer to what I am asking? It says that it won't include it if a grade isn't listed, but a grade is listed with a "T" in front of it. Does that make the difference?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:44 pm

From the exact link already provided:
AP or CLEP courses are summarized and included in the GPA if the undergraduate school transcript shows grades and credits for them.
Your transcript does not show grades for those courses. Therefore, your LSAC GPA will not include grades for those courses.

hydrohect

New

Post by hydrohect » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:11 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:From the exact link already provided:
AP or CLEP courses are summarized and included in the GPA if the undergraduate school transcript shows grades and credits for them.
Your transcript does not show grades for those courses. Therefore, your LSAC GPA will not include grades for those courses.
Not to resurrect a dead thread, but his transcript does show grades for those courses right? "TB" just means Transfer - B and "TC" would just mean Transfer - C. That's how mine is as well and it definitely affected my LSAC GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SkateboardT

New

Post by SkateboardT » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:35 am

So my second transcript was just processed last night and I just got my academic summary report this morning. I dropped .65 points, it seems as though the LSAC DID calculate in my LSAC gpa all of the classes that I originally did poorly in and subsequently retook for higher grades.

At my school they make a note on the transcript with an RT and I believe they even include a short sentence saying something along the lines of "retaken: no credit attempted" on the original class that you did poorly in.

I was under the impression that if there were 0 hours attempted for the class or if there were notifications on the transcript that they would not count those grades....or that they would be included in the non-punitive credit section but still not be factored into your cumulative LSACgpa

I e-mailed them, and will call tomorrow, but I'm really nervous about this because dropping so much pretty much screws me from attending ANY of the schools I had my eyes on and probably will not even get me into a top 50.

Has anybody had any experience with this kind of thing? I'm a non traditional student and probably added an extra year to my undergrad career cleaning up the mess I made for myself when I first left college. I did about 18 retakes in order to get my GPA as high as I could possibly get it and now it's looking like there was absolutely no point...does the LSAC work with applicants in these cases? Does the academic summary report get updated several times as they calculate your NP credits? Or am I going to have to really fight with them about this?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:40 am

SkateboardT wrote:So my second transcript was just processed last night and I just got my academic summary report this morning. I dropped .65 points, it seems as though the LSAC DID calculate in my LSAC gpa all of the classes that I originally did poorly in and subsequently retook for higher grades.
That was so not what the question in this thread was about. Of course LSAC factors in the original grades for retakes of college classes, regardless of how your undergrad tries to spin it.
patrickkpaul wrote: Not to resurrect a dead thread, but his transcript does show grades for those courses right? "TB" just means Transfer - B and "TC" would just mean Transfer - C. That's how mine is as well and it definitely affected my LSAC GPA.
I didn't know there were schools that noted it on the transcript that way. I guess it might depend on whether the OP's school actually recorded the grades that way, but I haven't heard of an undergrad using AP scores as a GPA substitute. It would be a little weird/punitive.

SkateboardT

New

Post by SkateboardT » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:49 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
SkateboardT wrote:So my second transcript was just processed last night and I just got my academic summary report this morning. I dropped .65 points, it seems as though the LSAC DID calculate in my LSAC gpa all of the classes that I originally did poorly in and subsequently retook for higher grades.
That was so not what the question in this thread was about. Of course LSAC factors in the original grades for retakes of college classes, regardless of how your undergrad tries to spin it.
So is that why they specifically say the opposite of it in their policy?

under "Grades excluded from Conversion"
"Those assigned no measure of credit by the issuing institution, regardless of the grade. ..."

"The original grade for a repeated course when the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant’s academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation."

My University assigns no measure of credit to retakes, the "attempted hours" are set to 0 and they make a note that the course was "not for credit". As far as I understand due to this language, those grades should not be included in my summary...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:54 am

SkateboardT wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
So is that why they specifically say the opposite of it in their policy?

under "Grades excluded from Conversion"
"Those assigned no measure of credit by the issuing institution, regardless of the grade. ..."

"The original grade for a repeated course when the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant’s academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation."

My University assigns no measure of credit to retakes, the "attempted hours" are set to 0 and they make a note that the course was "not for credit". As far as I understand due to this language, those grades should not be included in my summary...
But I'm guessing your transcript still shows the original grade and the number of credits you took the class for, so even though your undergrad can pretend you never took the classes, LSAC counts the original grade.

You can always call to ask about it, but you're well aware that you're trying to artificially boost your GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”