Background for Corporate Law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yakmonay

New

Background for Corporate Law

Postby yakmonay » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:31 pm

I'm a first year undergrad majoring in History and minoring in Political Science. I want to work in corporate law in the future, and am worried that I won't have the business/finance background necessary for corporate law. Should I add an accounting/business minor, or will the corporate law I need to know be taught in law school anyways?

RZ5646

Gold

Re: Background for Corporate Law

Postby RZ5646 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:35 pm

Might want to ask this in the "ask a law student / graduate" forum instead.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:10 pm

You do not need a corporate background of any kind to practice corporate law.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:12 pm

yakmonay wrote:I'm a first year undergrad majoring in History and minoring in Political Science. I want to work in corporate law in the future, and am worried that I won't have the business/finance background necessary for corporate law. Should I add an accounting/business minor, or will the corporate law I need to know be taught in law school anyways?

Also please come back in 3 years...I say this as someone who was in your position a few years ago, you'll be so much better off if you just do well in school and have fun rather than agonizing over something that won't happen for a minimum of 7 years.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:55 pm

The corporate law you need to know won't be taught in law school. You won't learn how to be a corporate lawyer until you become a corporate lawyer.

But no, you don't need to be a business major or anything like that. Doesn't matter what your major is.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:13 pm

To answer your question directly, it doesn't matter what you major in for corportate law. And do you even really know what corporate law is? What do you envision doing when you say you want to practice corporate law?

On the other hand, if you major in finance or business, you will learn stuff that helps you when you practice law. Also, and more importantly, it'll provide you with the ability to take a job in business/consulting more easily after college if you decide you don't want to do law or you don't want to go straight to law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�