Resume Length

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
apa

New

Resume Length

Postby apa » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:19 am

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is a repetitive topic, but I haven't seen this being addressed in posts from recent years so I thought I'd throw it out here.

I know some law schools specifically say that a longer-than one page resume is okay. But what is the general consensus on the length of a resume if no such information is given - specifically for the top 14. If anybody has any insight, that would be really helpful. Thank you!

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Resume Length

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:25 am

You don't need to have a resume longer than one page unless you're applying for a job in academia.

I'm pretty sure the way most people go over is by thinking that the employment section needs to be a complete history, which is not the case, especially here. You're going to be giving a complete employment history on all your applications. Your resume should highlight your most relevant/impressive experience.

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:38 am

cavalier1138 wrote:You don't need to have a resume longer than one page unless you're applying for a job in academia.

I'm pretty sure the way most people go over is by thinking that the employment section needs to be a complete history, which is not the case, especially here. You're going to be giving a complete employment history on all your applications. Your resume should highlight your most relevant/impressive experience.

You don't need a resume longer than a page, but it doesn't hurt to have 2 pages if you want to. The admissions people will read it, unlike an employer. So put whatever you want, 2 pages is normal.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Postby BobBoblaw » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:29 am

MS9 has a blog post dealing with precisely this subject. In short, two pages is acceptable if you really have a lot of exceptional work experience (most KJDs don't).

Probably never a very good reason to go over 2 pages.

Hildegard15

Gold

Postby Hildegard15 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:41 am

Mine was onto a second page and I only had two years of work experience. MS9's blog post actually says it's fine to go onto a second page because admissions officers are not viewing your resume like they would one for a job. Don't cut something out that may be illuminating just because it bumps you onto a second page.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�