Listing independent research on resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lagavulinjoe

New

Listing independent research on resume

Postby lagavulinjoe » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:10 pm

In undergrad I wrote a few papers either as independent research or as sort of a capstone research paper. These papers weren't published nor were they an official thesis or anything. They were just submitted for a grade or submitted as required as part of the independent research process.

Are these something I can list on my resume to add some detail to my education section?
Last edited by lagavulinjoe on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Re: Can I amend titles of unpublished research for clarity on resume?

Postby pleasesendhelp » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:22 pm

I wouldnt put these on a resume, or even a CV.

I may not be understanding right. If the papers are part of some on-going research, still, only the published paper should go on the resume, while the supporting papers are present in the appendix of the published paper only.

what it seems like youre doing is adding your past school assignments to your resume, which is weird.

lagavulinjoe

New

Postby lagavulinjoe » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:02 am

pleasesendhelp wrote:I wouldnt put these on a resume, or even a CV.

I may not be understanding right. If the papers are part of some on-going research, still, only the published paper should go on the resume, while the supporting papers are present in the appendix of the published paper only.

what it seems like youre doing is adding your past school assignments to your resume, which is weird.

From what I understand admissions officers are interested to see what sort of academic pursuits you undertook in college, as part of the full accounting of the last few years that a resume provides.

The point of listing the papers isn't to show I'm a great researcher or anything, since I'm obviously not, but just show what I was up and what I was interested in in undergrad. If you describe the work you did for your jobs on a resume I'm not sure why you can't list some academic projects as well.

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:09 am

lagavulinjoe wrote:

From what I understand admissions officers are interested to see what sort of academic pursuits you undertook in college, as part of the full accounting of the last few years that a resume provides.

The point of listing the papers isn't to show I'm a great researcher or anything, since I'm obviously not, but just show what I was up and what I was interested in in undergrad. If you describe the work you did for your jobs on a resume I'm not sure why you can't list some academic projects as well.

I think you should ask this question in the MS9 thread and see what one of them has to say. My inclination is to not include these on your resume like pleasesenthelp said - but if you have an interest section on your resume, you could put the research topic on there along with the rest of your interests.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lagavulinjoe

New

Postby lagavulinjoe » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:16 am

blueapple wrote:
lagavulinjoe wrote:

I think you should ask this question in the MS9 thread and see what one of them has to say. My inclination is to not include these on your resume like pleasesenthelp said - but if you have an interest section on your resume, you could put the research topic on there along with the rest of your interests.

Okay, I'll look into that thread. Just curious, if folks aren't listing their more routine academic endeavors on their resume, what are they listing? I mean schools have your transcript, so they know where you went to school, what your degrees and majors were, and what your grades were. I obviously list those on my resume, but that makes for a pretty slim accounting of 4 years of academic work. I would think the education section on the resume is a place to elaborate the unique aspects of your academic experience, even if they don't include any great accomplishments.

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:30 am

lagavulinjoe wrote:
blueapple wrote:
lagavulinjoe wrote:

Okay, I'll look into that thread. Just curious, if folks aren't listing their more routine academic endeavors on their resume, what are they listing? I mean schools have your transcript, so they know where you went to school, what your degrees and majors were, and what your grades were. I obviously list those on my resume, but that makes for a pretty slim accounting of 4 years of academic work. I would think the education section on the resume is a place to elaborate the unique aspects of your academic experience, even if they don't include any great accomplishments.

So, I just pulled up the resume I used for my law school apps to check what I had done. I listed my degree, cumulative GPA, majors, minor, and GPA for each of my majors/minor. I had a section for honors and awards. And then below my work experience I had a section for school and community activities where I listed my volunteer experience, clubs/organizations and leadership in those organizations etc.

Basically, your academic work speaks for itself through your transcript -- you do not need nor do schools want you to account for 4 years of academic work in your resume. I talked about my majors in my personal statement because it made sense with my story for why I decided to go to law school, but you don't have to do this. I only did this because I didn't have anything interesting to write my personal statement on so I did a "why law school" PS. But, to be frank, law schools just don't care all that much about your 4 years of routine academic work so you don't need to go out of the way to put it on your resume. That's why I would just recommend putting the research subject(s) under an interests section if you really want to include that stuff.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:39 am

Yeah, don't put those papers on your resume. Even doing that for applying for graduate-level work in the same field as your undergrad would be overkill, even more so for law school. Adcoms have your transcripts and your letters of recommendation to speak to your academic background. Putting unpublished research on your resume at best wastes space that could be better dedicated to more substantial content like work/volunteer experience.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:46 am

Nope. Sorry, but writing a paper for a class, no matter how involved it might have been, shouldn't be on your resume. If you feel your research project was substantial, even without a finished product (such as a published paper, thesis, or presentation at a conference) you could write about it in your personal statement. Also, I'd look into seeing if you can get some sort of finished product out of it - there are a lot of undergraduate conferences where you could talk about your research.
Last edited by floatie on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:49 am

OP, if you did this, you will look like a giant tool to admission committees.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:04 am

lagavulinjoe wrote:Okay, I'll look into that thread. Just curious, if folks aren't listing their more routine academic endeavors on their resume, what are they listing? I mean schools have your transcript, so they know where you went to school, what your degrees and majors were, and what your grades were. I obviously list those on my resume, but that makes for a pretty slim accounting of 4 years of academic work. I would think the education section on the resume is a place to elaborate the unique aspects of your academic experience, even if they don't include any great accomplishments.

If you had some distinct academic experience like study abroad or a research assistantship or awards or the like, you could list any/all of those. Or if the papers were actually a thesis, you could list it (and to differ a little from the rest of the folks here: if you were absolutely set on this, one line saying: Capstone senior project, "Very Brief Title", or maybe "independent research in Subject I Chose" would be okay. It's not necessary, but I'm presuming your transcript lists that you did independent research but not what the research was in, in which case it's not egregious to have a very brief reference on your resume. But I wouldn't put any more than this, not multiple papers or multiple lines). But really anything that adcomms are really going to want to see about your academic experience is going to show up in your transcript or other sections of your resume (like honors or awards).

lagavulinjoe

New

Postby lagavulinjoe » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:45 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lagavulinjoe wrote:Okay, I'll look into that thread. Just curious, if folks aren't listing their more routine academic endeavors on their resume, what are they listing? I mean schools have your transcript, so they know where you went to school, what your degrees and majors were, and what your grades were. I obviously list those on my resume, but that makes for a pretty slim accounting of 4 years of academic work. I would think the education section on the resume is a place to elaborate the unique aspects of your academic experience, even if they don't include any great accomplishments.

If you had some distinct academic experience like study abroad or a research assistantship or awards or the like, you could list any/all of those. Or if the papers were actually a thesis, you could list it (and to differ a little from the rest of the folks here: if you were absolutely set on this, one line saying: Capstone senior project, "Very Brief Title", or maybe "independent research in Subject I Chose" would be okay. It's not necessary, but I'm presuming your transcript lists that you did independent research but not what the research was in, in which case it's not egregious to have a very brief reference on your resume. But I wouldn't put any more than this, not multiple papers or multiple lines). But really anything that adcomms are really going to want to see about your academic experience is going to show up in your transcript or other sections of your resume (like honors or awards).

Okay, well you all are probably right that I should not list the capstone paper. I'll leave that off the resume.

To clarify as to the independent research, I had two independent research papers:
1) I was part of a scholars program (which I list in my honors/awards subsection), which provided stipends for faculty supervised independent research during a summer. I got a stipend and wrote a paper. This was not for credit, and does not appear on my transcript.
2) I completed what the university describes as "faculty-supervised research in conjunction with an internship." This resulted in a 25 page paper for 3 credits, the equivalent of a normal lecture class. It was graded as pass/fail, and appears on my transcript as a 400 level course in my major department titled "Internship." The transcript doesn't indicate that the crux of the course was actual research, and not just credit for doing an internship, which is unfortunate. And yes, this was an academic paper, not a reflection on the internship or anything. The first 10 pages were lit review, and the next 15 pages were case analysis of an event which my internship happened to have some relation to.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:13 pm

lagavulinjoe wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Okay, well you all are probably right that I should not list the capstone paper. I'll leave that off the resume.

To clarify as to the independent research, I had two independent research papers:
1) I was part of a scholars program (which I list in my honors/awards subsection), which provided stipends for faculty supervised independent research during a summer. I got a stipend and wrote a paper. This was not for credit, and does not appear on my transcript.
2) I completed what the university describes as "faculty-supervised research in conjunction with an internship." This resulted in a 25 page paper for 3 credits, the equivalent of a normal lecture class. It was graded as pass/fail, and appears on my transcript as a 400 level course in my major department titled "Internship." The transcript doesn't indicate that the crux of the course was actual research, and not just credit for doing an internship, which is unfortunate. And yes, this was an academic paper, not a reflection on the internship or anything. The first 10 pages were lit review on political polarization and party discipline, and the next 15 pages were case analysis of a failed legislative effort, which my internship happened to have some relation to.

These should be left off. They are just papers you wrote (one of which was half a lit review- I mean come on). Not to belabor the point, but these are just papers like everyone else wrote in college. The first one is an honor fine, but no need to include the paper, especially if it wasn't published. The second one should for sure be kept off. It again is just a paper. This whole discussion is silly to me.

3 ways a paper makes it on a resume:
1- your thesis
2- actually published works
3- maybe a conference paper that hasn't been published yet but something like - paper delivered at APA conference 2016 and under review for publication at Political Theory. But even this might be going a little too far.

Your papers don't meet this criteria. Everyone going to law school has written a bunch of papers. These aren't special, so don't list them.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Listing independent research on resume

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:42 pm

I think if you list the summer thing as an honor on your resume and you give a brief description (that it was faculty-supervised research) you shouldn't list the paper - it will be clear that you spent the summer doing research. And I tend to agree about the internship paper too (that is, leave it off - it's a course paper).

I disagree a little with one of the above posters in that if you were applying to a PhD program in a field related to those papers they might be worth including (though more likely you'd probably just describe them in a statement of purpose). But law school admissions really isn't like PhD admissions, and you don't need to try to shoehorn these things in. It will look like you're stretching to pad your resume.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�