Take LSAT 3rd time, or get ready for school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
somedeadman

Bronze

Re: Take LSAT 3rd time, or get ready for school?

Postby somedeadman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:59 pm

albanach wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:I don't think you have anything to lose if you retake a third time, might as well roll the dice and see what happens.

That has been my thinking guiding my decision (so far).

It's either spend 5 months studying for the LSAT, with huge upside (more scholarship money, get into better schools, etc.) or chill/spend some time working in a law office (like I said, I don't feel comfortable getting a salaried position only to leave shortly after).

With that said, the data so far strongly suggests 169 is my score. And perhaps this makes me a weakling, but I don't know if I could handle the mental carnage of busting my ass for another 5 months only to not improve on that score.

You can always register and cancel if you're not scoring above 169 in practice.

The thing is, I definitely will score above a 169 since all of my studying will be retakes. For example, when I studied for September by doing retakes, I always scored 175+, and ended up scoring lower than my first take.

I looked at some problems I had trouble with in the past yesterday, and felt good.

Perhaps I should study for the June LSAT with the hopes of getting off the waitlist, and then if the score is insanely better (like 175+), reapply next cycle?

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:00 pm

I'd also like to mention my goal is big law in a major metro area (not super picky tbh, just don't want to be farther north than Chicago or New York; would even be happy with my home market, STL).

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm

In regards to June vs. Feb, I think I'll email the schools who have already waitlisted me and ask if they'd consider a June LSAT for this cycle.

albanach

Gold

Postby albanach » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:00 pm

somedeadman wrote:The thing is, I definitely will score above a 169 since all of my studying will be retakes. For example, when I studied for September by doing retakes, I always scored 175+, and ended up scoring lower than my first take.

You have completed every LSAT available? If so, I'd have thought you were likely losing points due to careless mistakes and you'll either still be making them and getting similar scores or will have tightened up and be scoring higher (which will hopefully translate into a higher score on test day too).

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:54 am

somedeadman wrote:
albanach wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:I don't think you have anything to lose if you retake a third time, might as well roll the dice and see what happens.

It's either spend 5 months studying for the LSAT, with huge upside (more scholarship money, get into better schools, etc.) or chill/spend some time working in a law office (like I said, I don't feel comfortable getting a salaried position only to leave shortly after).

With that said, the data so far strongly suggests 169 is my score. And perhaps this makes me a weakling, but I don't know if I could handle the mental carnage of busting my ass for another 5 months only to not improve on that score.

The thing is, I definitely will score above a 169 since all of my studying will be retakes. For example, when I studied for September by doing retakes, I always scored 175+, and ended up scoring lower than my first take.

I looked at some problems I had trouble with in the past yesterday, and felt good.

Perhaps I should study for the June LSAT with the hopes of getting off the waitlist, and then if the score is insanely better (like 175+), reapply next cycle?

That sounds like a good plan. Plus, you'll have the opportunity to shop that score around in June to see if it will make a difference at that point in time. You never know.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:21 pm

albanach wrote:
somedeadman wrote:The thing is, I definitely will score above a 169 since all of my studying will be retakes. For example, when I studied for September by doing retakes, I always scored 175+, and ended up scoring lower than my first take.

You have completed every LSAT available? If so, I'd have thought you were likely losing points due to careless mistakes and you'll either still be making them and getting similar scores or will have tightened up and be scoring higher (which will hopefully translate into a higher score on test day too).

It's truly tough to say. I have made some careless mistakes (like leaving one bubbled on my first official take), but that's not typical. I typically just miss the hardest problems. So for my second take, I did 11-25 on every LR section and games I had ever missed a question on. I felt great during prep, but that did not translate to a higher score.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:23 pm

lawman84 wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
albanach wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

That sounds like a good plan. Plus, you'll have the opportunity to shop that score around in June to see if it will make a difference at that point in time. You never know.

Edit - nvm, looks like they will accept a June LSAT score to get off the waitlist.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:31 pm

delete
Last edited by somedeadman on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:46 am

One more question - should I be looking for work of some kind at a law firm, or just focus on the LSAT? Or possibly look for a summer gig of some kind?

daiff

New

Postby daiff » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:40 am

Why nobody has suggested transfer?

In your case I would personally consider attending the best school you are admitted this year. Work your ass off, get a GPA as close as 4.0 in 1L, and do the transfer.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:33 am

daiff wrote:Why nobody has suggested transfer?

Because that's bad advice, and you should not be giving it.

Don't matriculate to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. You likely won't place high enough in your class to transfer, so if you go with the intention of transferring, you're in for a depressing, overly stressful time.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:26 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
daiff wrote:Why nobody has suggested transfer?

Because that's bad advice, and you should not be giving it.

Don't matriculate to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. You likely won't place high enough in your class to transfer, so if you go with the intention of transferring, you're in for a depressing, overly stressful time.

Don't know how, but just saw these posts.

I took a 6 section test yesterday and scored a 170 after 3 1/2 months of not looking at the LSAT. I'm back in the saddle ya'll

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�