What percentage of Stanford students are KJD? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ayylmao

Silver

What percentage of Stanford students are KJD?

Post by ayylmao » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:27 pm

I haven't been able to find an official statistic. Also, how much should this figure matter to me as a KJD?

HamlinMcgill

New

Re: What percentage of Stanford students are KJD?

Post by HamlinMcgill » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:59 pm

I'm a 1L currently, and I think there are about 6 people in my 30-person section who are KJD. Another 6-7 people are just 1-2 years out. I think that's representative of the broader class.

My impression is that it definitely helps for admission to have some interesting work experience. But if you have killer enough numbers, it doesn't really matter. I think I'm more mature than I would have been if I had gone straight-through and I have clearer goals for what I want from a legal career. If you're really sure you want to be a lawyer though, then putting off law school has its own costs.

ayylmao

Silver

Post by ayylmao » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:48 pm

HamlinMcgill wrote:I'm a 1L currently, and I think there are about 6 people in my 30-person section who are KJD. Another 6-7 people are just 1-2 years out. I think that's representative of the broader class.

My impression is that it definitely helps for admission to have some interesting work experience. But if you have killer enough numbers, it doesn't really matter. I think I'm more mature than I would have been if I had gone straight-through and I have clearer goals for what I want from a legal career. If you're really sure you want to be a lawyer though, then putting off law school has its own costs.
Thanks for the response. I already got in, so I'm worried more about the social angle. Do you think the KJDs have a different kind of social experience? Do you like having a small section and a small school? How do you like Stanford so far?

HamlinMcgill

New

Post by HamlinMcgill » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:53 am

I don't think KJDs have a radically different social experience — they probably go out and party more than the older students do. But the first year of law school is a ton of work for everybody, so I don't get the sense that anybody is out raging every night.

I like Stanford a lot. People seem friendlier and more laid back than at East Coast schools. I appreciate the small sections — it definitely becomes a tight-knit group by the end of the 1st quarter. And I like the small school feel overall. I haven't noticed any drawbacks about the size but I've only been here a few months and I don't really have anything else to compare it to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”