Is Phi Beta Kappa worth it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BlackWillHunting

New

Is Phi Beta Kappa worth it?

Postby BlackWillHunting » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:55 am

Got an invite and still have time to decide to accept or not. It's like $100 bucks or something for a lifetime membership. So I figure I might as well...

Will it give me a small advantage when applying to law schools?

Just curious if anyone had any actual info about it.

Thanks in advance

Keilz

Gold

Re: Is Phi Beta Kappa worth it?

Postby Keilz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:23 am

I went to the school that founded PBk, so I've heard a lot about it. It's the best honor society there is I think, and personally for me, would be worth it! It's prestigious and only given to people specifically nominated by professors, unlike other societies that are based on numbers. The attorney in front of me at work has her PBK certificate framed next to her diploma in her office, FWIW. Congrats!

Clemenceau

Silver

Postby Clemenceau » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:29 am

It won't help with law school admissions. Whether there's other value to joining, I couldn't say.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:30 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackWillHunting

New

Postby BlackWillHunting » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:32 am

Keilz wrote:I went to the school that founded PBk, so I've heard a lot about it. It's the best honor society there is I think, and personally for me, would be worth it! It's prestigious and only given to people specifically nominated by professors, unlike other societies that are based on numbers. The attorney in front of me at work has her PBK certificate framed next to her diploma in her office, FWIW. Congrats!

Thank you very much!

I'm definitely going to pay the money and pull the trigger.

BlackWillHunting

New

Postby BlackWillHunting » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:33 am

zeglo wrote:Of all the honor societies I know, PBK is the only one that seems to actually carry weight. It's one of the oldest and is recognized. I am the equivalent for business disciplines.

Anyway, I'd do it. Phi Beta Kappa seems to hold clout and look good on a resume for academic things. It's a way to solidify academic prowess.

I'm not sure how much it will help with admissions. However, I tend to be a skeptic of honor societies and actually find at least some merit in it.

Awesome! Hey, even if it doesn't help with admissions, you make a good point about having it on an academic resume.

Thank you

BlackWillHunting

New

Postby BlackWillHunting » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:34 am

Clemenceau wrote:It won't help with law school admissions. Whether there's other value to joining, I couldn't say.

Yeah, I've heard people tell me it's a great soft and will help with admissions, but others have said it won't. I can't seem to find solid evidence one way or the other. So I'm glad I asked because it seems to be a good thing regardless of admissions. Oh well... worth the $100 bucks I suppose.

Thank you

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�