Should I sit this cycle out? Please help!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yfang12

New

Should I sit this cycle out? Please help!!!

Postby yfang12 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:23 pm

Here is my situation.

Applied very early this cycle with a 2.84/164, first day kind of early, all Non T14 school in regions I don't mind practicing ( no connections anywhere what so ever). Got dinged at WUSTL (ED), UTA, BU (go figure, I don't even know they start to give out decision so damn fast), but somehow W&M gave me a huge scholarship, 32k/yr, well at least more than I expected ( might have something to do with being an international student with investment banking WE?) .

I used June lsat for the application, however I did retake it again, because after 6 month of studying, my last 10+ pt remained in a 171-174 range and my last 10 blind review was all over 175, Dec score is not out yet but I felt pretty good, I think I can at least a 170.

The reason I m considering W&M is because I use to go to school in that area (high school) , really enjoy the place, don't mind spend another 3 yrs there, also Washington DC is on top of my "where you want to practice list", so.

I don't want big law like many people do, but I will need a job that sponsors a work visa for couple years after graduation since I just turned in my green card application and the waiting line is 5-6 years as for now. That leaves me bigs laws, non-profits, government agency that is willing and able to hire international student, the freaking united nation, and maybe some middle size law firm ( not sure about this one).

Money is a concern for me since my family is kinda a mess, but if I got into a really good school ( the kind just by saying the name can make my Asian dad proud even though he knows basically nothing about America law school), I m pretty sure he will pay for it.

Should I just sit this cycle out or take the W&M offer and get started on the whole law school thing?

Gold

Re: Should I sit this cycle out? Please help!!!

Postby 20170322 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:31 pm

Sit out, retake.

yfang12

New

Postby yfang12 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:37 pm

SweetTort wrote:Sit out, retake.

already retaked, still waiting on the score, if nothing goes awfully wrong ( let's hope not), I think I can get a 170+.

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:51 pm

yfang12 wrote:
SweetTort wrote:Sit out, retake.

already retaked, still waiting on the score, if nothing goes awfully wrong ( let's hope not), I think I can get a 170+.

Oh, then yeah, def sit out.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Definitely sit out a year! It sounds like your score is going to be a lot better this time around. With that GPA, it's even more important that you get a great score to help you get into the schools you want. Even if you do decide you truly want to go to William & Mary, you can do so with much more scholly. In fact, since it's only been your two tries, if you don't get a 170+, you may as well retake a third time to get even higher, if you think you could be capable of doing so. (I'm not sure what LSAT you need with your GPA to get into a t14, but look around on lawschoolnumbers to see what a decent range would be, probably 172+)

Also, have you thought about taking out loans for law school? Don't make your dad pay for law school especially if you end up having to pay a lot for it. Look into how that works even though you're an international student (anyone have any advice for OP?)

I'm only a 0L so my advice won't be the best, but I think you may have to do some more research to figure out where exactly you could/want to work with your situation right after graduation. Even though you don't want biglaw, based on the options you provided, it seems you will have very limited options and you may very well decide you want to do biglaw for a few years. But even after that, you need to figure out where exactly you want to work and what you want to do and find the school that will best help you get there.

Also, just thought about this, but is that your GPA after having been converted to the U.S. LSAC GPA, or is it the GPA you received at your country's university? It may very well be that your GPA could be regarded a little better based on whatever your grading scale is (you may have already figured all this out but wanted to throw it out there just in case you didn't).

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:33 pm

The cycle's not over yet. Throw in some apps at T-14s the day you get your December score.

yfang12

New

Postby yfang12 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:33 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:Definitely sit out a year! It sounds like your score is going to be a lot better this time around. With that GPA, it's even more important that you get a great score to help you get into the schools you want. Even if you do decide you truly want to go to William & Mary, you can do so with much more scholly. In fact, since it's only been your two tries, if you don't get a 170+, you may as well retake a third time to get even higher, if you think you could be capable of doing so. (I'm not sure what LSAT you need with your GPA to get into a t14, but look around on lawschoolnumbers to see what a decent range would be, probably 172+)

Also, have you thought about taking out loans for law school? Don't make your dad pay for law school especially if you end up having to pay a lot for it. Look into how that works even though you're an international student (anyone have any advice for OP?)

I'm only a 0L so my advice won't be the best, but I think you may have to do some more research to figure out where exactly you could/want to work with your situation right after graduation. Even though you don't want biglaw, based on the options you provided, it seems you will have very limited options and you may very well decide you want to do biglaw for a few years. But even after that, you need to figure out where exactly you want to work and what you want to do and find the school that will best help you get there.

Also, just thought about this, but is that your GPA after having been converted to the U.S. LSAC GPA, or is it the GPA you received at your country's university? It may very well be that your GPA could be regarded a little better based on whatever your grading scale is (you may have already figured all this out but wanted to throw it out there just in case you didn't).

I went to college in the state, so there is no convention needed, my ugpa is 3.1, but with 7 retake well, 2.84 it is :( the reason I am battling over this is because I don't know how much difference can a 164-170 make with my Gpa, because is supppper low from all aspect :(

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:36 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:Definitely sit out a year! It sounds like your score is going to be a lot better this time around. With that GPA, it's even more important that you get a great score to help you get into the schools you want. Even if you do decide you truly want to go to William & Mary, you can do so with much more scholly. In fact, since it's only been your two tries, if you don't get a 170+, you may as well retake a third time to get even higher, if you think you could be capable of doing so. (I'm not sure what LSAT you need with your GPA to get into a t14, but look around on lawschoolnumbers to see what a decent range would be, probably 172+)

What? Are you saying if OP's father offers to pay her or his law school tuition, OP should say no and take out loans instead? WHY?!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:43 pm

yfang12 wrote:

I went to college in the state, so there is no convention needed, my ugpa is 3.1, but with 7 retake well, 2.84 it is :( the reason I am battling over this is because I don't know how much difference can a 164-170 make with my Gpa, because is supppper low from all aspect :(

Okay, I see. Hopefully you really did better this time around. Again, I don't have too much knowledge on this front, but I think a 170 would make a huge difference from a 164. (someone affirm/dissent please)

Just put in 164 and 170 here and see the differences that pop up: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... atcher.htm Also, if you put in a 174, you have the t14 in play. The poster above is right, you may as well see how this cycle goes and apply to some t14 after you get your score, but my point is don't let the GPA keep you down. Just focus on your LSAT if this time doesn't go well enough, which it sounds like it did, and try again next year if you need to.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:47 pm

emkay625 wrote:

What? Are you saying if OP's father offers to pay her or his law school tuition, OP should say no and take out loans instead? WHY?!

When OP said "Money is a concern for me since my family is kinda a mess" I assumed this meant OP's family has a difficult financial situation. Thus, I figured OP shouldn't burden their family with the crushing debt and/or keep their finances from attending the school they want.

However, if that quote instead meant that money is a personal concern for OP and not their family as a whole, and their dad has enough $$ to pay, then of course OP should go for that instead. I (mistakenly?) assumed the former.

yfang12

New

Postby yfang12 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:01 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

When OP said "Money is a concern for me since my family is kinda a mess" I assumed this meant OP's family has a difficult financial situation. Thus, I figured OP shouldn't burden their family with the crushing debt and/or keep their finances from attending the school they want.

However, if that quote instead meant that money is a personal concern for OP and not their family as a whole, and their dad has enough $$ to pay, then of course OP should go for that instead. I (mistakenly?) assumed the former.

Yeah is more of a personal concern since I kind of took my mother's side during my parents divorce :( my dad is a very wealthy man with a girlfriend about my age ( who obviously hates me), so personally I really prefer not have to beg for law school money (since I haven't played nice for couple years) , but if I end up getting into a really good school at a sticker price, I think he will be willing to pay if I do ask him. But still thanks for the thought, I do really appreciate it :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�