Relevant undergraduate degree

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CoolHouse

New

Relevant undergraduate degree

Postby CoolHouse » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:05 pm

I know that there is a general consensus that there should be a theme surrounding your application. For my work and volunteer experience the theme that I created relates to international human rights advocacy. However, my undergraduate degree is in something completely different, namely criminology/criminal justice. Would this have an effect on my application? I guess i could try to relate criminology to international human rights advocacy but it would be a bit of a stretch :? :?

Gold

Re: Relevant undergraduate degree

Postby 20170322 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:10 pm

GPA/LSAT/URM?

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:50 pm

CoolHouse wrote:I know that there is a general consensus that there should be a theme surrounding your application. For my work and volunteer experience the theme that I created relates to international human rights advocacy. However, my undergraduate degree is in something completely different, namely criminology/criminal justice. Would this have an effect on my application? I guess i could try to relate criminology to international human rights advocacy but it would be a bit of a stretch :? :?

No. My theme was that I was applying to law school. Not sure why you think your application has to have such a specific "theme."

Clemenceau

Silver

Postby Clemenceau » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Doesn't matter.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:32 pm

I had a "theme" but only because I had a shitload of work experience.

In the end, that theme didn't really help me outperform my numbers. YMMV.

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:29 pm

For the record, I have been browsing these forums like a nerd a few times a week for approximately seven years and I have never once heard that your application needs to have a theme. I think you will be fine.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:42 pm

I definitely think it's best to have a "theme" to your application for YLS (maybe SLS to a smaller degree, all you really need is a 4.0 and a decent LSAT). Outside of that, I don't think it matters at all. Schools from Columbia and Harvard (both great schools, just very big) on down are too desperate for numbers to fill their classes for that stuff to really matter. And when I mention a theme for YLS, I'm talking more about hobbies, experiences, and goals for the law meshing well so you look passionate about something and not wishy-washy. Your major really has nothing to do with it. Criminology might be slightly looked down upon by certain faculty members (since it's considered one of the easier majors), but no more so than others like philosophy or sociology. Just apply and try to show who you are, it will be fine. And depending on where you're targeting, feel free to PM me.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:07 pm

CoolHouse wrote:I know that there is a general consensus that there should be a theme surrounding your application. For my work and volunteer experience the theme that I created relates to international human rights advocacy. However, my undergraduate degree is in something completely different, namely criminology/criminal justice. Would this have an effect on my application? I guess i could try to relate criminology to international human rights advocacy but it would be a bit of a stretch :? :?

I think having a theme is most important in your personal statement. I wouldn't worry too much about your overall application having a tight theme - many college students do a good bit of exploring during their undergrad years, and their transcripts might be all over the place in terms of classes taken. Admissions committees aren't looking for people who knew exactly what they wanted to do when they entered college - they want people who are bright, academically successful, and who show potential as law students. Besides, criminal justice isn't THAT far off from human rights advocacy - both are related to the law/politics, after all.

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:32 pm

I would let your transcript be your transcript, and use your resume and personal statement to show stuff that's not on your transcript. Why would you waste the limited space on stuff that's already elsewhere in your application?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�