Resume questions and suggestions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrSam

Bronze

Resume questions and suggestions?

Postby MrSam » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:44 pm

I know most schools prefer that you submit a single page resume, as opposed to a 2 page CV. However, a lot of the schools that I'm applying to have stated that a 2 page CV is fine (although, they prefer a single page resume).
Am I better off trying to cut down my resume even more? Currently, it's about 2 pages long. I've already cut out all of the menial tasks. However, I was a teaching assistant for multiple professors, have held multiple volunteer positions and internships, and worked most of my college career. I'd probably have to cut out some of the positions that I held just to narrow it down to one page (I only have 2 or 3 1-line bullet points per position).
I kept the education section short and sweet (school + gpa + distinction + dean's list). My "Personal" section won't take up too much vertical space, since I can just have 2 bullet points per line - I'm assuming that's fine.
From what I can tell, I'm better off condensing the resume...just don't how to go about it.

Lincoln

Silver

Re: Resume questions and suggestions?

Postby Lincoln » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:07 pm

MrSam wrote:I know most schools prefer that you submit a single page resume, as opposed to a 2 page CV. However, a lot of the schools that I'm applying to have stated that a 2 page CV is fine (although, they prefer a single page resume).
Am I better off trying to cut down my resume even more? Currently, it's about 2 pages long. I've already cut out all of the menial tasks. However, I was a teaching assistant for multiple professors, have held multiple volunteer positions and internships, and worked most of my college career. I'd probably have to cut out some of the positions that I held just to narrow it down to one page (I only have 2 or 3 1-line bullet points per position).
I kept the education section short and sweet (school + gpa + distinction + dean's list). My "Personal" section won't take up too much vertical space, since I can just have 2 bullet points per line - I'm assuming that's fine.
From what I can tell, I'm better off condensing the resume...just don't how to go about it.

I'm in my thirties, worked for several years before law school, have been a practicing lawyer for four years, including AIII clerkship and Big Law, and my resume is one page. I promise you that half of what you think is important isn't.

MrSam

Bronze

Postby MrSam » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:26 pm

Lincoln wrote:
MrSam wrote:I know most schools prefer that you submit a single page resume, as opposed to a 2 page CV. However, a lot of the schools that I'm applying to have stated that a 2 page CV is fine (although, they prefer a single page resume).

I'm in my thirties, worked for several years before law school, have been a practicing lawyer for four years, including AIII clerkship and Big Law, and my resume is one page. I promise you that half of what you think is important isn't.

There are a handful of things on my resume that aren't really pertinent to law school, or law in general - namely, part-time jobs. My primary concern is that I was told to convey that I worked my way through college - can't do that unless I list those jobs.
Should I still include those part-time jobs?

I also realized that rather than having 4 separate "Teaching Assistant" sections, I could condense them all into one and say something like, "Assisted multiple professors over the span of 2 years." Does that sound like a better idea?

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:41 pm

MrSam wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

There are a handful of things on my resume that aren't really pertinent to law school, or law in general - namely, part-time jobs. My primary concern is that I was told to convey that I worked my way through college - can't do that unless I list those jobs.
Should I still include those part-time jobs?

I also realized that rather than having 4 separate "Teaching Assistant" sections, I could condense them all into one and say something like, "Assisted multiple professors over the span of 2 years." Does that sound like a better idea?

Did you have more than three jobs in college? And yes, definitely condense crap. It's an art.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Academic resume =/= professional resume. You've gotta get education, honors, work experience, extracurriculars and sometimes even misc/personal stuff on there ("financed 75% of my college tuition through part time work", "first in family to graduate college", etc).

All you get when you apply to law school is 1. a GPA, 2. an LSAT score, 3. a personal statement and 4. a resume. Don't cut shit out of from like 1/4 of your application. No one reading your application is gonna go: "wow! you've really mastered the art of the one-page resume! snaps for you!" 1.25-1.5 pages certainly won't hurt you, and there's a chance it might help provide a more complete picture of you as an applicant. Hell yeah you wanna show that you put yourself through college, especially to help mitigate a less-than-stellar GPA.

I say go for it. Also, see: ==error==/debunk ... sume-myth/

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:37 pm

addie1412 wrote:Academic resume =/= professional resume. You've gotta get education, honors, work experience, extracurriculars and sometimes even misc/personal stuff on there ("financed 75% of my college tuition through part time work", "first in family to graduate college", etc).

All you get when you apply to law school is 1. a GPA, 2. an LSAT score, 3. a personal statement and 4. a resume. Don't cut shit out of from like 1/4 of your application. No one reading your application is gonna go: "wow! you've really mastered the art of the one-page resume! snaps for you!" 1.25-1.5 pages certainly won't hurt you, and there's a chance it might help provide a more complete picture of you as an applicant. Hell yeah you wanna show that you put yourself through college, especially to help mitigate a less-than-stellar GPA.

No, but they certainly would be pissed to have to read an extra page that didn't add anything to the application package.

And the blog specifies the additional experience should add value. If you can show you work through college with two jobs, no need to add six more. In fact, this can hurt you because you don't know what's important, which is gonna suck as a 1L and an attorney.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:47 pm

zot1 wrote:
addie1412 wrote:Academic resume =/= professional resume. You've gotta get education, honors, work experience, extracurriculars and sometimes even misc/personal stuff on there ("financed 75% of my college tuition through part time work", "first in family to graduate college", etc).

No, but they certainly would be pissed to have to read an extra page that didn't add anything to the application package.

And the blog specifies the additional experience should add value. If you can show you work through college with two jobs, no need to add six more. In fact, this can hurt you because you don't know what's important, which is gonna suck as a 1L and an attorney.

I'd argue 6 more jobs definitely add value, and I would hope most people reading applications wouldn't get pissed at having to spend two minutes reading a resume as opposed to just one. I mean, again, the only other things they have to read are a 2-page personal statement and two numbers.

Anecdotal evidence time: I applied about a month ago with 1.25 page resume and kept it light on the optional essay material to balance things out. Admitted to several T14s so far.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:49 pm

addie1412 wrote:
zot1 wrote:

I'd argue 6 more jobs definitely add value, and I would hope most people reading applications wouldn't get pissed at having to spend two minutes reading a resume as opposed to just one. I mean, again, the only other things they have to read are a 2-page personal statement and two numbers.

Anecdotal evidence time: I applied about a month ago with 1.25 page resume and kept it light on the optional essay material to balance it out. Admitted to several T14s so far.

Have you ever had to review more than 25 application packets in addition to your other duties? It gets tedious after sometime.

Your anecdote is cute and all but maybe what you added did have value. You don't know what OP has. I'm actually not saying he or she shouldn't do it, but that s/he should do it for good reason.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:52 pm

zot1 wrote:I'm actually not saying he or she shouldn't do it, but that s/he should do it for good reason.

I agree. I just don't think a 2-page resume is an automatic faux pas for grad school admissions the same way it would be for hiring, especially if you've chosen not to include a diversity statement, Why X essay, etc.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:56 pm

addie1412 wrote:
zot1 wrote:I'm actually not saying he or she shouldn't do it, but that s/he should do it for good reason.

I agree. I just don't think a 2-page resume is an automatic faux pas for grad school admissions the same way it would be for hiring, especially if you've chosen not to include a diversity statement, Why X essay, etc.

No, unless the school required one page.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:26 pm

One thing that I would point out is...

If you use more than one page, be mindful of how it breaks at least... do not have a bullet point break across pages or something silly like that... I'd probably say don't even have a category break across... i.e.

Personal Assistant to Guy Fieri .......................................June 2014-present
-Carry an attache full of Guy Fieri's many hair products
<------page break---->
-Secretly wish that I worked for the angel that is Giada

I think your resume looking neat and tailored is far more important than the length. I think law school applications are handled a bit different from an HR department so I don't think the length matters as much as long as it meets their criteria, but I don't really know.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:32 pm

I think 1.25 is no big deal, but I wouldn't push it past 1.5 (mine was about 1.25 a few years ago but I really could have gotten it to 1). There are probably ways to condense though. You don't have to give the most detailed description of each position in undergrad. Here's a short law school admissions advice blog about writing a resume' for an application for law school instead of a resume' for a job.

http://www.lawschoolexpert.com/why-your ... ob-resume/

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�