Low gpa for TX or Chicago area school? Any advice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tiny123

New

Low gpa for TX or Chicago area school? Any advice?

Postby Tiny123 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Finally decide to come back for law school :)

Wanted live in Dallas or Chicago in the future if possible (don't mind Huston or other big cities too), no family ties anywhere, went to college in Seattle then Iowa.

Gpa estimate 2.8 (ugpa is 3.02 but expect a drop since I flunked couple classes along the way), Oct LSAT 167, gonna study full time for 6 month, aiming for 172+ but will be super happy with anything better than right now.

Not trying to make any excuse, but I wasn't always super healthy during college, kept getting sick during season change, sometimes can last few month. Most time I just did the best I can, expect one semester I was forced by my doctor to withdraw all classes at very end of the semester. That's the mean reason why my family agree on a gap year because they wanted me to time sometimes off, it has been 6 month of doing mostly nothing and a lot of pills, I think I m better now.

Some soft like 1 yr full time WE in investment banking field, 3 month intern during college in banking, taught high school for 6 month (part time during college), 2 years part time job as a campus representative, 1year volunteer for Bernie's presidential campaign.

Also I m on the executive board for a small-middle size financial company in China (don't know if that count for anything since is my dad and his friend's company tbt, however legally I own all his shares and I m the one that got to vote and sign for all big decisions, I think the company is worth 20mill, But I have own 30% though).

Any advices on what I should do before Sep? Gonna throw in my application early too.

candidlatke

Bronze

Re: Low gpa for TX or Chicago area school? Any advice?

Postby candidlatke » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:29 pm

northwestern is notoriously splitter friendly, esp with work experience. get a 170+ and you're golden there

texas law has been more splitter friendly as of late so pull together a good lsat and you're good there too

other than those two options, there's not much else there with what you have in mind.

chicago's out with your gpa.
uiuc's maybe defensible if you really want chicago and are okay taking a risk on employment in exchange for less debt.
smu's same-ish but for texas

Lexaholik

Bronze

Postby Lexaholik » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:47 am

Tiny123 wrote:Finally decide to come back for law school :)

Wanted live in Dallas or Chicago in the future if possible (don't mind Huston or other big cities too), no family ties anywhere, went to college in Seattle then Iowa.

Gpa estimate 2.8 (ugpa is 3.02 but expect a drop since I flunked couple classes along the way), Oct LSAT 167, gonna study full time for 6 month, aiming for 172+ but will be super happy with anything better than right now.

Not trying to make any excuse, but I wasn't always super healthy during college, kept getting sick during season change, sometimes can last few month. Most time I just did the best I can, expect one semester I was forced by my doctor to withdraw all classes at very end of the semester. That's the mean reason why my family agree on a gap year because they wanted me to time sometimes off, it has been 6 month of doing mostly nothing and a lot of pills, I think I m better now.

Some soft like 1 yr full time WE in investment banking field, 3 month intern during college in banking, taught high school for 6 month (part time during college), 2 years part time job as a campus representative, 1year volunteer for Bernie's presidential campaign.

Also I m on the executive board for a small-middle size financial company in China (don't know if that count for anything since is my dad and his friend's company tbt, however legally I own all his shares and I m the one that got to vote and sign for all big decisions, I think the company is worth 20mill, But I have own 30% though).

Any advices on what I should do before Sep? Gonna throw in my application early too.

1. Figure out a list of cities you want to live in.
2. Apply to schools that have a strong presence in that city. For Chicago, NU is a great school. But don't overlook some lower ranked schools that place well there. It may make sense to go to UIUC or ND with lots of money if you can get it. It may even make sense to go to Loyola or Kent with a full scholarship.
3. Focus 100% on LSAT. Once you get a good score then you should focus on other things.

I also noticed you didn't describe your career goals. Why do you want to go to law school? Unless you want Biglaw or some other highly selective law job you don't need to go T14.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:54 am

As others have pointed out, raising your LSAT score is key. Many top schools love splitters. Make sure you also apply early and write a compelling PS. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�