Law school in US or overseas? Needs help.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tiny123

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:29 am

Law school in US or overseas? Needs help.

Postby Tiny123 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:42 pm

Here is my situation, graduated from a state university in June, went back to China to take a gap year because I was done with school, then after 2 month i got so bored and applied to law schools in HongKong, got into all three of them(there are only three in Hongkong), class of 2020. Since hongkong practice Common Law, I think after 5 years of practice you are eligible for American bar in many states.

My undergraduate Gpa kinda sucked, i think is somewhere around 2.8, my Oct LSAT is 167. Have some good soft, but not curing cancer kind. The plan was to come back eventually because all of my family are in America, so I was wondering should I just go with one of the best law school in Asia and get a LLM (or just take the bar after few years of practice) , or try LSAT again next Feb or June and apply for 2018 cycle? If the ultimate goal is to practice in the state.

What's my chance getting into any decent law school here with a 2.8? Also I m working full time now so I ll have couple years of WE before entering law school fall 18.

User avatar
galeatus

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Law school in US or overseas? Needs help.

Postby galeatus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:46 am

Tiny123 wrote:Here is my situation, graduated from a state university in June, went back to China to take a gap year because I was done with school, then after 2 month i got so bored and applied to law schools in HongKong, got into all three of them(there are only three in Hongkong), class of 2020. Since hongkong practice Common Law, I think after 5 years of practice you are eligible for American bar in many states.

My undergraduate Gpa kinda sucked, i think is somewhere around 2.8, my Oct LSAT is 167. Have some good soft, but not curing cancer kind. The plan was to come back eventually because all of my family are in America, so I was wondering should I just go with one of the best law school in Asia and get a LLM (or just take the bar after few years of practice) , or try LSAT again next Feb or June and apply for 2018 cycle? If the ultimate goal is to practice in the state.

What's my chance getting into any decent law school here with a 2.8? Also I m working full time now so I ll have couple years of WE before entering law school fall 18.


Hello fellow Chinese applicant!

Yes, you will be eligible to sit the bar exam for many of the big market states, but I have doubts over whether you will be competitive for a good legal job in the States upon passing the bar, even with a degree from HKU and 5 years at a great firm. Since your long-term plan is to be in the States with your family, it kinda makes more sense to go for a JD with a retake.

Image

I had to change the range of GPA to 2.6-3 to get a decent sample size which may have skewed the results a bit, but from what I see a retake with a 5 point increase in your LSATs wouldn't really help you much, and that GPA effectively bars you out of most T14s. Your chance seems decent at a lot of the other T1 schools tho (with or without a retake), and according to mylsn WUSTL/GWU/Notre Dame all seem pretty friendly to ultra-splitters with numbers similar to yours.

Tiny123

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:29 am

Re: Law school in US or overseas? Needs help.

Postby Tiny123 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:03 pm

galeatus wrote: Yes, you will be eligible to sit the bar exam for many of the big market states, but I have doubts over whether you will be competitive for a good legal job in the States upon passing the bar, even with a degree from HKU and 5 years at a great firm. Since your long-term plan is to be in the States with your family, it kinda makes more sense to go for a JD within the US


Hey thanks man, i was having a super hard time getting into mysln site for the whole Chinese government firewall reason brh, that helped! In that case I think I m gonna sit this cycle out, make some money, retake the LSAT in June aiming for 170 and turn in my application in early Sep, hope in some kind of hell Mary WM/WUSTL/ND/GWU will take me :)

User avatar
heythatslife

Silver
Posts: 1203
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Law school in US or overseas? Needs help.

Postby heythatslife » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:24 pm

Rule of thumb: Go to law school in the jurisdiction you want to practice in.

That said, once you're on the biglaw track it's generally much easier to go US=>HK than the other way round. HK=>US is hard not because of ineligibility to take the bar but because of the difficulty of finding US employers willing to take you.

DrunkenBocceBall

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Re: Law school in US or overseas? Needs help.

Postby DrunkenBocceBall » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:13 pm

In that case I think I m gonna sit this cycle out, make some money, retake the LSAT in June aiming for 170 and turn in my application in early Sep, hope in some kind of hell Mary WM/WUSTL/ND/GWU will take me


I got into GW a couple weeks ago with about a 2.9 and a 171. It's the only school I've heard from, and expect pretty much blanket rejection from everywhere ranked higher, but definitely not impossible if you can bump your score up a little bit.

Tiny123

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:29 am

Re: Law school in US or overseas? Needs help.

Postby Tiny123 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:29 pm

DrunkenBocceBall wrote:I got into GW a couple weeks ago with about a 2.9 and a 171. It's the only school I've heard from, and expect pretty much blanket rejection from everywhere ranked higher, but definitely not impossible if you can bump your score up a little bit.


When did you apply? I think I m gonna throw in my app on the first day when they open their application for 2018 cycle.
Yeah wasn't expecting a T14 school with a 2.8, but hopefully a good LSAT can get me into some decent T1 so I can work really hard afterward, since I ll kind of need big law for at least a couple years upon graduation :(

User avatar
galeatus

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Law school in US or overseas? Needs help.

Postby galeatus » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:42 am

Tiny123 wrote:
galeatus wrote: Yes, you will be eligible to sit the bar exam for many of the big market states, but I have doubts over whether you will be competitive for a good legal job in the States upon passing the bar, even with a degree from HKU and 5 years at a great firm. Since your long-term plan is to be in the States with your family, it kinda makes more sense to go for a JD within the US


Hey thanks man, i was having a super hard time getting into mysln site for the whole Chinese government firewall reason brh, that helped! In that case I think I m gonna sit this cycle out, make some money, retake the LSAT in June aiming for 170 and turn in my application in early Sep, hope in some kind of hell Mary WM/WUSTL/ND/GWU will take me :)


Get a VPN, lots of good free ones and great paid ones out there - I actually had to use a VPN to log into lsac.org to submit all my apps cos without it the internet is so freaking slow without it that I just time out.

Hope it all works out for you next year.

DrunkenBocceBall

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Re: Law school in US or overseas? Needs help.

Postby DrunkenBocceBall » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:04 am

When did you apply? I think I m gonna throw in my app on the first day when they open their application for 2018 cycle.
Yeah wasn't expecting a T14 school with a 2.8, but hopefully a good LSAT can get me into some decent T1 so I can work really hard afterward, since I ll kind of need big law for at least a couple years upon graduation :(


I applied first week of November, so not even all that early. Heard back in about three weeks. I'm not URM or anything. I did have a few years of solid (albeit non-legal) work experience and professional LORs that were probably very strong, but nothing other than softs like that to set me apart.

In all honesty, you should probably be ok if you can get your score into the 170+ range. The mylsn is actually pretty friendly for those numbers at T1 schools outside of the T14 (at least more than you would probably expect given the GPA).



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests