Does Math matter in getting into Big Law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pleaseberkeley

New

Does Math matter in getting into Big Law?

Postby pleaseberkeley » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:03 am

As a guy who took Math for Liberal Arts Majors (an alternative transferable math course to statistics or college algebra for math dummies) are my chances of getting into Big Law hindered? I am very bad at Math, like the average High School Freshman in the country is better than me. I am good enough to get into a university (I attend UC Berkeley), but I failed Algebra 2 about 5 times. So, does impaired math have an effect or is it high LSAT + GPA=Big Law?

r2d2111

New

Re: Does Math matter in getting into Big Law?

Postby r2d2111 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:52 am

pleaseberkeley wrote:As a guy who took Math for Liberal Arts Majors (an alternative transferable math course to statistics or college algebra for math dummies) are my chances of getting into Big Law hindered? I am very bad at Math, like the average High School Freshman in the country is better than me. I am good enough to get into a university (I attend UC Berkeley), but I failed Algebra 2 about 5 times. So, does impaired math have an effect or is it high LSAT + GPA=Big Law?

Exactly how many times did you fail Algebra 2? Up to four, it's still fine for Vault 100. Above that, it's basically a no-go. Sorry for breaking the news.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:36 am

Where did you get the idea that your LSAT and undergrad GPA have anything to do with your actual job offers once you're in law school?

pleaseberkeley

New

Postby pleaseberkeley » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:29 am

r2d2111 wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:As a guy who took Math for Liberal Arts Majors (an alternative transferable math course to statistics or college algebra for math dummies) are my chances of getting into Big Law hindered? I am very bad at Math, like the average High School Freshman in the country is better than me. I am good enough to get into a university (I attend UC Berkeley), but I failed Algebra 2 about 5 times. So, does impaired math have an effect or is it high LSAT + GPA=Big Law?

Exactly how many times did you fail Algebra 2? Up to four, it's still fine for Vault 100. Above that, it's basically a no-go. Sorry for breaking the news.

I failed p as a junior in high school, once as a senior. I took it online and passed the course as a senior. In college, I got a NP in it, a few w's, and eventually got a P. No F's on transcript.

pleaseberkeley

New

Postby pleaseberkeley » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:29 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Where did you get the idea that your LSAT and undergrad GPA have anything to do with your actual job offers once you're in law school?

Then how does it work?

Clemenceau

Silver

Postby Clemenceau » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:50 am

Aren't we all here because we're bad at math

r2d2111

New

Postby r2d2111 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:05 am

pleaseberkeley wrote:
r2d2111 wrote:

I failed p as a junior in high school, once as a senior. I took it online and passed the course as a senior. In college, I got a NP in it, a few w's, and eventually got a P. No F's on transcript.

Hey, kid, I was joking. Nobody cares. To get Big Law just get into a decent law school, get good grades as a 1L and don't be a wierdo during OCI.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:14 am

pleaseberkeley wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Where did you get the idea that your LSAT and undergrad GPA have anything to do with your actual job offers once you're in law school?

Then how does it work?

Classes in law school are largely an exercise in finding those most attunable to the fell spectrum of dread B'glaahw. Those who hear His blasphemous whisperings know where the rites shall be performed to perfect the channel and open yourself to His claw. The Otherworld Communication Initiation (OCI) ritual is your chance (typically after your 1L year) to match your particular dark longings to His current servants. If there's a purpose you can fulfill, then 180K and all the virgin blood you can drink are in your future. Else ways you will be only such fodder for the great prayer wheel of Hate called Doc Review, that drives His infernal power.

r2d2111

New

Postby r2d2111 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:17 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:

Then how does it work?

Classes in law school are largely an exercise in finding those most attunable to the fell spectrum of dread B'glaahw. Those who hear His blasphemous whisperings know where the rites shall be performed to perfect the channel and open yourself to His claw. The Otherworld Communication Initiation (OCI) ritual is your chance (typically after your 1L year) to match your particular dark longings to His current servants. If there's a purpose you can fulfill, then 180K and all the virgin blood you can drink are in your future. Else ways you will be only such fodder for the great prayer wheel of Hate called Doc Review, that drives His infernal power.

Btw, Op, this is a joke as well. You're welcome.

Herky Jerky Slo Mo

Gold

Postby Herky Jerky Slo Mo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:33 am

Your LSAT won't be a factor in BigLaw hiring, nor would math grades from undergrad.

The hiring criteria is usually based on:

i.) law school GPA and class ranking in conjunction with the rank of your school on a sliding scale (i.e. the higher your law school is ranked, the lower you can be in your class rank)
ii.) interviewing
and iii.) some miscellaneous factors

Unless your legal area of expertise requires math (maybe some sort of patent law?), I kind of doubt that it would matter very generally.

A friend of mine from Princeton, who went to a T-14 law school and now works successfully in a public interest practice, used to swear that she sucked at math. She took the minimum in order to graduate and swore she would never take another math class again. Another college buddy, who went to a mid-ranked T1 law school also can't do Algebra 2 (not right now anyways). I know this for a fact, because he's tried looking into business school options and even traditional Ph.D. programs, where you need to take the GMAT and GRE and he couldn't solve a lot of the problems on them. It's not that he can't do math per se, but just that he's forgotten all of it and isn't naturally skilled at it. He could relearn it if necessary. He worked in a federal government law position, before jumping ship to something totally different (in the private/business world).

Bourbon Democrat

New

Postby Bourbon Democrat » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:

Then how does it work?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:29 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:

Then how does it work?

In his house at Krvath, B'glaahw waits dreaming! Iä! Iä! B'glaahw fhtagn!

incognito_mode13

New

Postby incognito_mode13 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:28 pm

Your NP will count as an F on your LSAC transcript. That might hurt your chance at admission to a top school and indirectly hurt your chance at big law, depending on what your actual LSAC GPA comes out to be.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:32 pm

r2d2111 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:

Then how does it work?

Btw, Op, this is a joke as well. You're welcome.

Is it?

pleaseberkeley

New

Postby pleaseberkeley » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:32 am

incognito_mode13 wrote:Your NP will count as an F on your LSAC transcript. That might hurt your chance at admission to a top school and indirectly hurt your chance at big law, depending on what your actual LSAC GPA comes out to be.

Yea I am going to try to get this removed from my transcript. There were reasons for this and it has been a couple of years I can get it done.

tracy9524

New

Postby tracy9524 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:57 am

Clemenceau wrote:Aren't we all here because we're bad at math

HAHAHAHAHHA

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:36 pm

As an engineering major at a T14, my observation was that most law students are worse at math than your average 6th grader. Asking them to split a restaurant bill is as futile as asking them to solve cold fusion. You'll fit right in.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:As an engineering major at a T14, my observation was that most law students are worse at math than your average 6th grader. Asking them to split a restaurant bill is as futile as asking them to solve cold fusion. You'll fit right in.

im glad i studied engineering. i go out with my lib arts friends and they help me read the menu. then I help us split the bill. its a convenient arrangement

Christinabruin

Bronze

Postby Christinabruin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:45 am

R. Jeeves wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:As an engineering major at a T14, my observation was that most law students are worse at math than your average 6th grader. Asking them to split a restaurant bill is as futile as asking them to solve cold fusion. You'll fit right in.

im glad i studied engineering. i go out with my lib arts friends and they help me read the menu. then I help us split the bill. its a convenient arrangement

So true until you're stuck with 4 other lib arts friends and none of us know how to split the bill lol

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?