Rejected at undergraduate school, accepted at law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chargers21

Gold

Rejected at undergraduate school, accepted at law school

Post by chargers21 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:41 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Rejected at undergraduate school, accepted at law school

Post by BigZuck » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:53 pm

LOL LSAT amirite?

It's good though, just crush that sucker and you're sitting pretty

Congrats!

(Also this isn't worth spending a lot of time thinking about)

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:11 pm

chargers21 wrote:Is anyone else having the experience of getting accepted for law school at universities that rejected them for undergraduate studies, or getting into law schools where you had 0 shot at the undergraduate school? I just feel like it's weird. I wasn't ivy league coming material coming out of high school, but apparently I am now, and I just find it to be an odd situation.
The law school admissions process is rather straightforward and numerically oriented, whereas UG admissions processes are very random and based off of soft factors (extracurriculars, diversity, family connections occasionally etc.) Your experience is very common. Don't worry about it.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:14 pm

If you screw around in high school, enormous possibility that you won't get into the Ivies.

If you screw around in UG, no worries, just crush the LSAT and nearly everywhere will accept you with open arms.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:17 pm

Well when I was 14, 15, 16, I wasn't the best student. It was hard for 14-year-old me to visualize my math homework having an impact on where I would go to college.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Purple Post It Note

New

Post by Purple Post It Note » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Last edited by Purple Post It Note on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:44 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:20 pm

Purple Post It Note wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:If you screw around in high school, enormous possibility that you won't get into the Ivies.

If you screw around in UG, no worries, just crush the LSAT and nearly everywhere will accept you with open arms.
+1, slacked in both HS/UG and graduated with a mediocre GPA. I was going to be content with a T50 regional law school. Never thought t14s were within the realm of possibility until I got my LSAT score.
Ugh, this is minor-ly infuriating for someone who worked insanely hard all 4 years of UG to get a kickass GPA.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:23 pm

Most people at HLS had 0 chance of getting into Harvard College and most people at Harvard College will have 0 chance of getting into HLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:33 pm

jingosaur wrote:Most people at HLS had 0 chance of getting into Harvard College and most people at Harvard College will have 0 chance of getting into HLS.
ha!

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:35 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:If you screw around in high school, enormous possibility that you won't get into the Ivies.

+1, slacked in both HS/UG and graduated with a mediocre GPA. I was going to be content with a T50 regional law school. Never thought t14s were within the realm of possibility until I got my LSAT score.
Ugh, this is minor-ly infuriating for someone who worked insanely hard all 4 years of UG to get a kickass GPA.
Yep nearly every one would be better off studying for the LSAT for four years instead. Standardizing education is the wave of the future.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:36 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:

Same. I should've just worked my ass off for the first two years and then only study for the LSAT for the last 2 LOL

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:37 pm

chargers21 wrote:Is anyone else having the experience of getting accepted for law school at universities that rejected them for undergraduate studies, or getting into law schools where you had 0 shot at the undergraduate school? I just feel like it's weird. I wasn't ivy league coming material coming out of high school, but apparently I am now, and I just find it to be an odd situation.
This isn't an odd situation at all. Cornell's undergrad acceptance rate is 14%. Cornell Law's acceptance rate is 31%. You weren't in the 14%, but you're in the 31% now. Nothing weird about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

incognito_mode13

New

Post by incognito_mode13 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:20 am

Reverse. Can't get into my school's t14 law school. 171 LSAT.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:34 am

addie1412 wrote:
This isn't an odd situation at all. Cornell's undergrad acceptance rate is 14%. Cornell Law's acceptance rate is 31%. You weren't in the 14%, but you're in the 31% now. Nothing weird about it.
That isn't really how the process works...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:03 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
katthegreat11 wrote:

Same. I should've just worked my ass off for the first two years and then only study for the LSAT for the last 2 LOL
Don't be a K-JD you goofball. You can easily have both of these things.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:29 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:32 pm

Justtrying2help wrote:
katthegreat11 wrote:

Yep nearly every one would be better off studying for the LSAT for four years instead. Standardizing education is the wave of the future.
Lol no. Besides, for fields other than law GPA still matters (it matters for law, too, especially if you're looking for money, just not quite as much as LSAT).

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:33 pm

chargers21 wrote:
I want to be a K-JD student because I'm hoping to have a stable job before having kids, and I'd like to have kids before being ancient. I wouldn't call that type of thinking being a "goofball"

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:
katthegreat11 wrote:

I'm not a K-JD but thank you for the name calling lol.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:18 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
katthegreat11 wrote:

I'm not a K-JD but thank you for the name calling lol.
I didn't call you a goofball or a K-JD

Although please be sure that you're solely hating the game and not the player(s)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”