Outside perspective

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OneMoreShot

New

Outside perspective

Postby OneMoreShot » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:02 am

Hi everyone, I've been a lurker here for a few years, and finally decided to take the plunge and create an account. I'd appreciate the candid and honest feedback that TLS is famous for :)

My situation, in brief:
- 2011: Humanities undergrad, took LSAT on a whim (about 2 months of studying w/ a friend). Score 157.
- 2012: Decided against law school, worked and went to grad school.
- 2016: Have a great job, but itching to get my JD. Applied to a few schools w/ 157 LSAT and 3.7 UGPA
- Today: In at one TTT w/ no $, waiting on other schools.

After reading these forums, I know the mantra is retake. I'd rather not put school off another year, but the long-term pay-off seems immense. So, my question: is it possible to bump a 157 to mid-160's (my PT range) by February LSAT? And if so, how? I'm willing to pay for a class and make this my last shot at a high score.

SolRs

New

Re: Outside perspective

Postby SolRs » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:15 am

OneMoreShot wrote:Hi everyone, I've been a lurker here for a few years, and finally decided to take the plunge and create an account. I'd appreciate the candid and honest feedback that TLS is famous for :)

My situation, in brief:
- 2011: Humanities undergrad, took LSAT on a whim (about 2 months of studying w/ a friend). Score 157.
- 2016: Have a great job, but itching to get my JD. Applied to a few schools w/ 157 LSAT and 3.7 UGPA

After reading these forums, I know the mantra is retake. I'd rather not put school off another year, but the long-term pay-off seems immense. So, my question: is it possible to bump a 157 to mid-160's (my PT range) by February LSAT? And if so, how? I'm willing to pay for a class and make this my last shot at a high score.

I'd say yes and yes. My recommendation would be the online community of 7sage. You can definitely improve on LG and likely improve on LR. Those two alone can pull you up from 157 to 163+

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:38 am

OneMoreShot wrote:Hi everyone, I've been a lurker here for a few years, and finally decided to take the plunge and create an account. I'd appreciate the candid and honest feedback that TLS is famous for :)

My situation, in brief:

If you're giving up a "great job" to go to a TTT at sticker, you're making a huge mistake.

And, quite frankly, I don't understand this idea that you are time-limited in some way for law school. I'm 33 years old (will be 34 when I start law school). People have entire careers behind them before they start law school. So, this self-imposed idea that because you're in your late-20's and 5 year out of undergrad that you're a haggard old has-been who can't possibly wait another is not only absurd but harmful.

If you're going to do this law school thing, do it the right way. Don't half-ass it. Don't rush yourself into a shitty situation. Study and crush the LSAT and your 35-year-old self will thank you.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:44 am

Retake.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:05 am

Sit out this cycle. February is probably too late to get any good scholarship money from schools that you would want to go to after raising your score. Study hard for the June 2017 LSAT and apply to T1 schools that offer scholarships. If you already have a great job, it is not worth it to go to law school for anything less than a T1 with money.

spqr351

New

Postby spqr351 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 am

Last edited by spqr351 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:34 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:If you're giving up a "great job" to go to a TTT at sticker, you're making a huge mistake.

And, quite frankly, I don't understand this idea that you are time-limited in some way for law school. I'm 33 years old (will be 34 when I start law school). People have entire careers behind them before they start law school. So, this self-imposed idea that because you're in your late-20's and 5 year out of undergrad that you're a haggard old has-been who can't possibly wait another is not only absurd but harmful.

If you're going to do this law school thing, do it the right way. Don't half-ass it. Don't rush yourself into a shitty situation. Study and crush the LSAT and your 35-year-old self will thank you.

Quoting for emphasis.

For some reason, everyone under 30 seems to think that their life/career path has to be fixed in place by age 25 or they've lost whatever game we're supposed to all be playing. There is never, ever, ever a valid reason that someone needs to start law school this year. There are, however, a multitude of reasons that someone might want to delay going to law school.

Blue664

New

Postby Blue664 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:47 pm

SolRs wrote:
I'd say yes and yes. My recommendation would be the online community of 7sage. You can definitely improve on LG and likely improve on LR. Those two alone can pull you up from 157 to 163+

I just wanna add that I suggest carefully assessing which sections you think YOU can improve on and not put all eggs in the "improving LG" basket. 7Sage's LG explanations are a godsend and an amazing public service. i improved my LG understanding by a lot, but unfortunately didn't make much speed improvements in the time I had so never got close to a perfect score on that. In hindsight, I think I should have focused on LR, where I could have made much more progress with the time I had...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�