Sample LOCI letters and article Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
atlrochester

New

Re: Sample LOCI letters and article

Post by atlrochester » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:16 pm

this is awesome, only wish i had seen it 3 days ago haha. though i don't think i did anything drastically wrong on the one i sent

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:41 am

I'm just finishing up one now... who exactly do these get addressed to? I know that Ken's sample said to address it to the dean, but does it make more sense to address it to the admissions committee instead? A quick answer is greatly appreciated!

HipHopAPotamus

New

Post by HipHopAPotamus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:44 am

I would address it to the Dean of admissions or whoever's name/position was on the WL letter.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:24 am

One more question-- if I've been deferred (which I have), is it okay to send the LOCI out immediately?

hrvd214

New

Post by hrvd214 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goskins47MA

New

Post by goskins47MA » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:31 am

Does anyone know the correct way to send a recommendation with your LOCI? I know regularly reccs. go through LSAC, but is it okay to just send it snail mail along with the loci?

wickedzeus

New

Post by wickedzeus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:07 pm

bump

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:33 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:One more question-- if I've been deferred (which I have), is it okay to send the LOCI out immediately?
People say to send it right away but haven't explained the logic behind that. Just get it to them.

ArthurDayne

New

Post by ArthurDayne » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:20 pm

If anyone is willing to provide feedback on my specific letter of continued interest please send me a message.
I would be more than happy to reciprocate and offer my thoughts on anyone else's letter.
Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:46 pm

PM it to me I'll check it out. I've been in LOCI mode lately.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:51 pm

anyone know, if the person is "Associate Dean and Director of Admissions" can I just say Dean Roberta Smith? Or do I have to toss Associate in there?

huckabees

Bronze

Post by huckabees » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 am

Rocketman11 wrote:anyone know, if the person is "Associate Dean and Director of Admissions" can I just say Dean Roberta Smith? Or do I have to toss Associate in there?
Dean should be sufficient.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:12 am

What's everyone's feeling regarding preemptive LOCI at a safety school. General consensus is to leave well enough alone with the LOCIs until you get a decision, but I have been complete at Davis (where I should be somewhat close to autoadmit by #s) since early December and have heard nothing. I just don't want to be YPed since I am actually quite interested in going to LS there...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:18 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:What's everyone's feeling regarding preemptive LOCI at a safety school. General consensus is to leave well enough alone with the LOCIs until you get a decision, but I have been complete at Davis (where I should be somewhat close to autoadmit by #s) since early December and have heard nothing. I just don't want to be YPed since I am actually quite interested in going to LS there...
Haven't you already been accepted to a school you'd rather attend than Davis?

flik

New

Post by flik » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:31 am

when you all write that the letter should be addressed to the dean or the person who's name appeared on the waitlist/reserve letter, do you also mean that it should be addressed to that person's email? or that is should be sent to the regular admissions email with the actual letter addressed to the person? please someone answer. ive unfortunately been WL at a couple of schools and ive noticed that at some, i cannot get the personal email of the dean or person who wrote the letter. ive even called and cant get it. so the most i can do is address it to the name on the letter for some schools.

let me know....

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:33 am

flik wrote:when you all write that the letter should be addressed to the dean or the person who's name appeared on the waitlist/reserve letter, do you also mean that it should be addressed to that person's email? or that is should be sent to the regular admissions email with the actual letter addressed to the person? please someone answer. ive unfortunately been WL at a couple of schools and ive noticed that at some, i cannot get the personal email of the dean or person who wrote the letter. ive even called and cant get it. so the most i can do is address it to the name on the letter for some schools.

let me know....
Send your LOCI via regular US mail, don't email it. And you'd address it to the LS's Dean of Admissions.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:What's everyone's feeling regarding preemptive LOCI at a safety school. General consensus is to leave well enough alone with the LOCIs until you get a decision, but I have been complete at Davis (where I should be somewhat close to autoadmit by #s) since early December and have heard nothing. I just don't want to be YPed since I am actually quite interested in going to LS there...
Haven't you already been accepted to a school you'd rather attend than Davis?
I'm in at BU and GW and on a ton of WLs. It would be a tough call. My whole family is in Sacramento, so that makes UCD a compelling option. Also, I'd ideally like to end up working in Sac/SF.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:54 am

Last edited by youpiiz on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flik

New

Post by flik » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:17 am

is the general consensus really that the LOCI should be mailed rather than emailed? i have called the schools i have been WLed on and they say that the best way to send in additional information is through email. do you all disagree? snail mail better? and not all schools websites has the actual name of the dean of admissions on there...i can address it to the assistant dean though because he is the one who wrote the letter.

also, what do you all think about being WLed in general? do you think that there is a likely chance to be taken off?

here's to hoping!

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:49 pm

flik wrote:is the general consensus really that the LOCI should be mailed rather than emailed? i have called the schools i have been WLed on and they say that the best way to send in additional information is through email. do you all disagree? snail mail better? and not all schools websites has the actual name of the dean of admissions on there...i can address it to the assistant dean though because he is the one who wrote the letter.

also, what do you all think about being WLed in general? do you think that there is a likely chance to be taken off?

here's to hoping!
I think if the school gave you a preference, follow that. They are receiving so much correspondence right now that sending it the way they want to receive it will only help you. I called the school I sent a LOCI to and they asked for an email. I submitted it and received an email confirmation that it had been added to my file within 2 hours. Better for them, peace of mind for me.

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:25 pm

What is the consensus on WTF a second or third LOCI should say? (if you were held and sent one, waitlisted now and might be waitlisted for a while)-- especially if you have no updates in terms of grades etc., you've already told them in the first LOCI why them and why you right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:12 pm

this was great info, thanks ken. however i would like to point out that after speaking with brooklyn's office of admissions regarding a loci even though they have not made a decision on my file yet, she said it is "absolutely a great idea to send one as soon as possible."

i guess it depends on the school.

broach911

New

Post by broach911 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:24 pm

I'm going to start my LoCI tonight but I have a few questions. First, should you continuously send them LoCI (the same or slightly different) every other week or so or just send one? I was thinking of emailing and sending by snail mail a LoCI to the school I want every 2 weeks or maybe 3 but I would like an opinion on this.

Also, if I don't care about scholarship would it be prudent to put in the letter that I am more than willing to pay sticker price to attend?

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:57 pm

broach911 wrote:I'm going to start my LoCI tonight but I have a few questions. First, should you continuously send them LoCI (the same or slightly different) every other week or so or just send one? I was thinking of emailing and sending by snail mail a LoCI to the school I want every 2 weeks or maybe 3 but I would like an opinion on this.

Also, if I don't care about scholarship would it be prudent to put in the letter that I am more than willing to pay sticker price to attend?
There are plenty of ways to imply this without saying it. If you are on the waitlist and are not considered yield protect it pretty much should be taken for granted that you will be paying full price. Basically, if your LOCI reads like a binding contract they will know you are coming regardless.

Omnipotim

New

Post by Omnipotim » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:27 am

If someone has time I'd appreciate having a LOCI I drafted looked at. I, too, would be happy to reciprocate the help. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”