Sample LOCI letters and article Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MaebyTonight

New

Re: Sample LOCI letters and article

Post by MaebyTonight » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:28 pm

uphill wrote:This answers all my questions... thanks Ken 8)
+1

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:50 pm

savanna wrote:I'm in the process of drafting my second LOCI. The seat deposit for the school in question is due April 15th,and I think that they're supposed to start reviewing the Hold list after that date.

Question: Should I email the LOCI directly before, after, or the day of April 15th? I'm afraid if I send it the day of or too soon after, it'l be overlooked because of the flurry of seat deposit activity that the admissions people will be dealing with. However, I want my letter to be one of the first things they recieve when they're contemplating going to the Hold list. Thoughts?
I think no matter what it's going to go into your file, so when your file comes up for review again it will be there. I don't think it matters all that much whether they receive it during seat deposits or not, as long as you get it to them before when they start reviewing again...

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:46 am

Some TLS members were kind enough to volunteer their LOCI's for others to learn from:

March 7, 2009

LSAC #
Applicant Address

University of Pennsylvania School of Law
Department of Admissions
3400 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6204

To Dean Post and the Admissions Committee:

I am writing you today to convey my very strong continuing interest in the university of pennsylvania law school and to update you on my activities since our previous correspondence.

More than any of the other schools I have applied to, I am especially attracted to Penn. As I mentioned in my application, I spent the summer of 2007 in Philadelphia and had a chance to acquaint myself with the law school and city around the same time as I became interested in a legal career. The result of that summer and my later research on your law school is my desire to be a part of the Penn Law community.

In particular, I am especially attracted by the interdisciplinary focus and opportunities at Penn to pursue a joint degree while earning my law degree. More specifically, I would like to pursue the joint JD/MGA (with a concentration in Economic Development and Growth, through the Fels Institute) to complement my law degree. The manner in which law, economics, and politics are combined, and the practical application of each, are the most appealing qualities of this dual degree program to me. Ideally, I will apply to this program during my first year at the law school, and upon graduation, begin work in a government organization or NGO on legal issues pertaining to development, trade, and government regulation. For me, this would be an ideal career – an opportunity to do something positive with my education in the context of a career that I can enjoy and take pride in.

Beyond this specific program, I am quite interested in various other academic and extracurricular opportunities that Penn Law offers. For example, I would also like to explore international law through coursework offered by Penn, and I am quite interested in working on the University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law, which I believe will complement my career goals quite well (due to its historical focus on international economic and business law) and enhance my career opportunities after graduation. On a separate note, I am immensely interested in participating in two of Penn's pro-bono projects – Street Law and the Urban Ventures Project – because of the direct, practical way that they impact local communities, and because I have not had the chance to participate in anything like these projects in the past.

As mentioned above, I also am writing this letter to update you on my recent activities. Although I am going through the law school application process this year, I have attempted to maintain my academic performance at the highest level, even while compiling application materials and studying for the LSAT. Due to the end of my rowing career, I have had considerably more time to pursue other academic and extracurricular interests in a much higher volume than previously. In the academic realm of my life, I have taken the opportunity to develop better quantitative skills, to take classes relating to topics that have interested me in the past, and to attempt to graduate with high honors (by taking a large course load to bring my GPA above 3.75 – our cutoff for high honors). So far, this experience has been rewarding, and I have been fairly successful. Attached to this letter, you will find updated grades and coursework for the Fall 2008 semester, as well as my courses for the Spring 2009 semester. I have also arranged to have official transcripts sent, but I wanted to expedite this letter to you as quickly as possible. I would like to note that the academic accomplishment during this time period that I am proudest of is achieving an “A” grade in a course titled “Seminar in Econometrics and Forecasting.” This course was an upper-division seminar on advanced econometric techniques, which was graded on a curve and attracted only about ten (of the most talented) economics students at San Jose State. I put in a very good effort and was able to finish near the top of the class. I have asked my professor from this course to send an extra letter of recommendation to you on my behalf, as well.

Outside the classroom, I was elected to serve my chapter of XYZ fraternity as Vice President for the Spring 2009 semester. The primary roles of this position are to manage a team of about 25 chapter officers and various committees, and to chair the executive board which performs the vital functions of the chapter including budgeting, governance, recruitment, social events, philanthropic endeavors, scholarship programs, and activities for our members, among other things. The position is seen within our chapter as the office which is most responsible for the “internal affairs” of the chapter. Due to the relatively small Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC) at our university, most fraternity functions are handled within chapters, and so this job requires quite a bit of coordination and attention to detail. I believe I am doing a good job so far, and being able to provide a service to my friends and my community is quite a rewarding activity that I hope to continue in the future. Additionally, the time management techniques and communication skills that I have learned from, and in the context of working with, a very capable group of officers in this capacity will serve me well in law school and beyond. Aside from my participation in my fraternity chapter, I have also returned to my job as an on campus tutor for Economics, Political Science, and History courses, and begun a part-time job with Bloomingdales as a sales associate. Needless to say, the spring has been quite busy so far.

Finally, I would like to again express to you that my level of interest in the university of pennsylvania law school is extremely high; Penn remains my top choice for where to spend the next three years pursuing my law degree. I absolutely love everything I know about Penn so far, and am very fond of Philadelphia – and I would be honored to become a part of the Penn Law Class of 2012. Thank you very much for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you in the coming weeks.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Name
Address
City, State Zip
LSAC#: xxxxxxxxx

March 30, 2009

Admissions Office
The University of Texas School of Law
727 E. Dean Keeton Street
Austin, TX 78705-3224

Dear Assistant Dean Ingram,

First of all, I would like to thank you for giving my application serious consideration. I would also like to reiterate my interest in University of Texas at Austin School of Law. UT Law is my top choice and I would certainly attend, were I offered a seat.

I believe UT is the best choice for me because of the numerous opportunities it offers for experience in the fields of international and human rights law. I am particularly interested in The Rapoport Center for Human Rights and Justice. Throughout my undergraduate studies I have increasingly focused my work on international relations and human rights and have consistently studied to advance and strengthen my knowledge of these subjects. I believe my class choices for my final year, which are not listed on my transcript, indicate my continued commitment to the field of study: Global Justice, Ethnicity and Conflict, and Security after the Cold War. Because of this desire and interest, I would be eager to join the Center as one of its Human Rights Scholars and Summer Fellows in the future.

I believe that my background of development and conflict studies as well as international relations provides me with a unique perspective of human rights and conflict in reference to the developing world. I also believe that these experiences combined with a UT Law education, would allow me to make distinct and valuable contributions to this area of law after law school. Furthermore, as I have advanced my studies over the past three years, I have become increasingly interested in the conflict in the Former Yugoslavia. This too has drawn me to UT Law because of its history of facilitating internships with the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, something of which I fully intend to pursue if I am admitted.

I do believe that I would bring unique qualities to UT Law. Living abroad, I have studied and witnessed American politics and law from an outside point of view. I have debated and discussed it with my Norwegian, Chinese, Mexican, French, Brazilian, Singaporean, Guatemalan, English, and Indian friends and classmates. I carry their thoughts with me and feel as though I offer not only my perspective, but theirs as well. Such an outlook would be beneficial to both UT and the wider law community. While I seek to learn more about our legal system, I would also strive to stir up academic discussion of how American law and responsibility fits into the bigger, global picture.

I will be submitting an additional letter of recommendation for your consideration shortly. Thank you again for your time and consideration and I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Name

The posting of any other samples would be greatly appreciated by all of the TLS community. Cheers,

Ken

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Oh goodness, I'm hyperventilating right now. I just got an e-mail that says my file is currently back under review, and I didn't even have time to send in my second LOCI. I obviously don't have time now to mail it, so I think that I'm going to email back the Dean of Admissions, who sent me my account status update.

I want to get as many people as I can to read my LOCI for me. Any volunteers?

edit: as soon as possible would be GREAT. I'm looking to e-mail her back within the half hour.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:46 pm

savanna wrote:Oh goodness, I'm hyperventilating right now. I just got an e-mail that says my file is currently back under review, and I didn't even have time to send in my second LOCI. I obviously don't have time now to mail it, so I think that I'm going to email back the Dean of Admissions, who sent me my account status update.

I want to get as many people as I can to read my LOCI for me. Any volunteers?

edit: as soon as possible would be GREAT. I'm looking to e-mail her back within the half hour.
If you still need the help I'll read it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attucks

New

Post by Attucks » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:50 pm

I'll read as well via PM. Sorry if this is elsewhere in the thread but...thoughts on dropping LOCI off in-person on a visit?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Attucks wrote:I'll read as well via PM. Sorry if this is elsewhere in the thread but...thoughts on dropping LOCI off in-person on a visit?
Are you going to be there anyway? If so, go for it. It cannot hurt, and you will save on postage.

If you are planning on making a trip just to drop off the letter, save your money and just mail it. It won't help.

It doesn't really matter how the letter gets there, so long as it gets there.

Attucks

New

Post by Attucks » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:20 pm

Bosque wrote:It doesn't really matter how the letter gets there, so long as it gets there.
Good call. Limited to one page also seems the way to go. Terse and to the point.

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:21 pm

I just emailed my second LOCI to the admissions director yesterday,and I'm thinking about faxing a copy over to the law school today. Thoughts? Is this overboard/slightly stalkerish? I just want to make sure that it ends up in my file. I also got the director's email address from their website,and for all I know it could be her spam email that she rarely checks or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:52 pm

savanna wrote:I just emailed my second LOCI to the admissions director yesterday,and I'm thinking about faxing a copy over to the law school today. Thoughts? Is this overboard/slightly stalkerish? I just want to make sure that it ends up in my file. I also got the director's email address from their website,and for all I know it could be her spam email that she rarely checks or something.
Why not just send it by priority or express mail if you're concerned about it slipping through the e-mail cracks? I'm not sure that I would necessarily trust faxing a document over e-mailing... At least with mailing you could get delivery confirmation so that you know it arrived...

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:11 am

Bumptity-bump-bump-bump

I was just waitlisted at my #1 choice so i'll be getting my LOCI going...

Great info!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:44 pm

Attucks wrote:I'll read as well via PM. Sorry if this is elsewhere in the thread but...thoughts on dropping LOCI off in-person on a visit?
I think i'll drop off mine in person. It's close by and I know someone in the admissions office so i'll drop it off with whomever takes them and then pop in and say hi quickly to the woman I know. It probably won't help at all but seeing me and talking to me humanizes my application...

Walfredo47

New

Post by Walfredo47 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:16 pm

bump! it's LOCI season.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:22 pm

tag

I have a feeling I will be utilizing info in this thread soon.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Walfredo47 wrote:bump! it's LOCI season.

already?

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:01 pm

I'm preemptively beginning my LOCI for a particular school (not sending, just getting it ready to send). I've already sent the max number of LORs to this school, so would it be potentially horrible to send another LOR with my LOCI?

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:04 pm

SAE wrote:tag

I have a feeling I will be utilizing info in this thread soon.
+1
Just waiting for Harvard's hold email

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Walfredo47

New

Post by Walfredo47 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:I'm preemptively beginning my LOCI for a particular school (not sending, just getting it ready to send). I've already sent the max number of LORs to this school, so would it be potentially horrible to send another LOR with my LOCI?
hmmm. that's a tough one. I would say it depends on the language of your decision. Whether you are held, deferred, waitlisted, or whatever, you should receive some type of correspondence. In this correspondence, they should communicate what is acceptable to send. If they mention specifically that more LORs are welcome, then it would be hard to imagine that they would penalize you for doing so.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:11 pm

How do they feel about actually visiting the campus? Is that too stalker-ish or does it help them put a face with an application? Any suggestions for this?

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:06 pm

tagged after receiving hold e-mail from Harvard

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:22 pm

bump for 2010. gl!

oh shit, i see it's already been bumped. :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:38 pm

CordeliusX wrote:How do they feel about actually visiting the campus? Is that too stalker-ish or does it help them put a face with an application? Any suggestions for this?
humble suggestion (and i write these things in layman's terms bc... you never know!): don't just go visit. dropping in is not stalkerish per se, but it is not ideal, especially during as busy a time as the peak of an application cycle.

ask them first what their policy is on prospective students visiting. dropping in is rarely if ever a good idea. but calling, arranging a tour and asking how to sit in on a class or two, and then proceeding to do so are totally fine once you have the go ahead from the school.

totally helps put a face to a name. similarly, a pleasant phone call inquiring about such a visit puts a voice to a name. these things help round out your app, but remember, you won't necessarily meet or speak to the actual people making your decision. (tangent: though you may meet the people they work with, and people do talk. a horrific impression made on the person answering phones can make its way up to the person making a decision on your app. maybe not... but know people can talk/walk their way off wls by making a really bad impression. this is all highly obvious of course, but always be polite and considerate.)

there's a handful of threads on visiting a law school. i just added to one last week or so, if you feel like continuing to read my line of reasoning. of course i'm no expert. but i do have some experience with these things, not just as a prospective, but also when i worked at a grad school and dealt with these things all the time on the other end. gl.

holeinone600

New

Post by holeinone600 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Tag.

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:31 pm

Quick question and figured this was a good enough thread.

For those who have LOCI'ed did you get a response from the person your contacted, Like thanks for the email or ok well think about this, or was it the equivalent of throwing it into a black hole?

ljmrc3344

New

Post by ljmrc3344 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:44 pm

texlawtex wrote:Quick question and figured this was a good enough thread.

For those who have LOCI'ed did you get a response from the person your contacted, Like thanks for the email or ok well think about this, or was it the equivalent of throwing it into a black hole?
+1. Would it be a good idea to call the admissions office a few days after it should have been delivered to make sure it's being processed?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”