Sample LOCI letters and article Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
otaibi26

New

Re: Sample LOCI letters and article

Post by otaibi26 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:26 am

I apologize if this has already been addressed but I scanned through all 8 pages and didn't see it anywhere.

I know this may seem dumb and extra picky but I have been wait listed by Minnesota and they specifically say to send any additional info via email. Is it best if I send my LOCI as an attachment in the email or just paste it directly into the body of the email?

Again, sorry for the dumb question but this is my top choice for a school and I'm nervous about messing something up.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:01 am

Should the LOCI be single spaced or 1.15 :mrgreen: I feel like my LOCI is better then my PS at this point

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:15 am

tagged.

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:15 pm

BUMP

EMH99

New

Post by EMH99 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:45 pm

I know this may seem dumb and extra picky but I have been wait listed by Minnesota and they specifically say to send any additional info via email. Is it best if I send my LOCI as an attachment in the email or just paste it directly into the body of the email?[/quote]

I would attach it to the email just to ensure formatting stays the same, but that's just my opinion.

Is anyone willing to critique my LOCI or swap? PM me if interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ml1212

New

Post by ml1212 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:53 pm

is there a problem with calling two schools your top choice if really they both are? and you'd be happy at either? i guess then its not really your top choice, but i would think would carry more weight than saying "one of top choices" in the letter....

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:54 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksmommy

New

Post by ksmommy » Mon May 07, 2012 11:03 am

This might be the stupidest question ever but I'm going to ask. Could I possibly do a LOCI before a decision is rendered for a law school? I have been emailing a professor who is in charge of a clinic that I find really interesting at a law school that I applied to really late but I didn't know about this clinic when I did my personal statement and interest letter into the school. If I got in I would definitely highly consider going as it is in the same vicinity as the school I'm committed to attending right now.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon May 07, 2012 3:13 pm

ksmommy wrote:This might be the stupidest question ever but I'm going to ask. Could I possibly do a LOCI before a decision is rendered for a law school? I have been emailing a professor who is in charge of a clinic that I find really interesting at a law school that I applied to really late but I didn't know about this clinic when I did my personal statement and interest letter into the school. If I got in I would definitely highly consider going as it is in the same vicinity as the school I'm committed to attending right now.
I think that you could write a LOCI in two instances:
1) If you're put on a waitlist, send a LOCI to that school stating its definitely one of your top, in not, top choices.
2) If you're numbers have historically been WLd/Denied, you would want to send in the LOCI sometime during the cycle before they deny you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ksmommy

New

Post by ksmommy » Mon May 07, 2012 9:05 pm

Thank you so much!
nmop_apisdn wrote:
ksmommy wrote:This might be the stupidest question ever but I'm going to ask. Could I possibly do a LOCI before a decision is rendered for a law school? I have been emailing a professor who is in charge of a clinic that I find really interesting at a law school that I applied to really late but I didn't know about this clinic when I did my personal statement and interest letter into the school. If I got in I would definitely highly consider going as it is in the same vicinity as the school I'm committed to attending right now.
I think that you could write a LOCI in two instances:
1) If you're put on a waitlist, send a LOCI to that school stating its definitely one of your top, in not, top choices.
2) If you're numbers have historically been WLd/Denied, you would want to send in the LOCI sometime during the cycle before they deny you.

georgia32

Bronze

Post by georgia32 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Anyone care to look over my LOCI? PM me if you don't mind helping out.

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:01 pm

ml1212 wrote:is there a problem with calling two schools your top choice if really they both are? and you'd be happy at either? i guess then its not really your top choice, but i would think would carry more weight than saying "one of top choices" in the letter....
I don't think there's a problem, but if it were me, I'd qualify it by saying "right now, x is my top choice." I believe I did something like that, iirc.

Law schools play enough games with admissions, "playing a game" like this re. LOCIs is fair. Especially if it's the truth.

e_mac7

New

Post by e_mac7 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:36 am

Sorry for bumping this again :oops:

If you've been waitlisted at one of your reach schools, should you send in anything other than a LOR and LOCI? I know they already put my third letter of rec in my file since it appears on my status checker as received.I can't think of anything else to send in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cheery_girl

New

Post by cheery_girl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 am

This may be a wrong place to post but if I did not send the maximum LORs to a school and I have been waitlisted, do I send another letter through LSAC or attach it (closed letter) to my LOCI and send it in the mail? Can you send a LOR to a school after the fact?

cc6148

New

Post by cc6148 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:38 pm

I've been waitlisted at my #1 school, and they sent me a letter in the mail that included a form to return. I've already sent in the signed form via snail mail, along with a letter of continued interest and an updated resume. Would it be bad form to also e-mail the person who signed the original letter they sent me, with the LOCI I wrote in the body of the e-mail and the resume attached, and just include a line about how I wanted to personally reach out and reaffirm my interest in the school? I want to make sure they get my info! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 pm

cheery_girl wrote:This may be a wrong place to post but if I did not send the maximum LORs to a school and I have been waitlisted, do I send another letter through LSAC or attach it (closed letter) to my LOCI and send it in the mail? Can you send a LOR to a school after the fact?
I dont think additional LORs will do any good. I know some schools specially ask waitlisters to not send any more LORs because they rarely provide any new information (most LORs are the same anyways). I'd just focus on the LOCI.
cc6148 wrote:I've been waitlisted at my #1 school, and they sent me a letter in the mail that included a form to return. I've already sent in the signed form via snail mail, along with a letter of continued interest and an updated resume. Would it be bad form to also e-mail the person who signed the original letter they sent me, with the LOCI I wrote in the body of the e-mail and the resume attached, and just include a line about how I wanted to personally reach out and reaffirm my interest in the school? I want to make sure they get my info! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
I dunno if I'd double send the same thing, I think I've read on here it is perfectly fine to check in after an ample amount of time to see if your stuff arrived. Maybe e-mail your second LOCI (if you need it) to that person.

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Bumping this.

I've been waitlisted at one of my top 3 choices, but the decision letter says the follownig:

"Offers of admission off of the waitlist are likely to be made starting in mid-May when we have a better understanding of the number of incoming students who plan to enroll this Fall. If you would like to remain on the waitlist, please e-mail xxxx@xx.com by April 15, otherwise we will presume you have made plans to enroll at another institution.

The Admissions Committee has all the information necessary to make its final decisions – no additional documentations, letters of continued interest, or letters of recommendation are necessary. We will keep you informed of the progress of your application as additional information becomes available. In the meantime, please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions & Financial Aid by e-mail at XXXXX@XX.com or by phone at ###### if you have any questions."

Should I be writing a LOCI anyway, or would a 1 sentence request to stay on the waitlist do?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 pm

tag

Bdietz1123

New

Post by Bdietz1123 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Hi I hope somebody can help me. I am about to send my LCOI and a new letter of recommendation, which I got from the senior VP of the company I work for. I am hoping the new LOR helps, but how should I send it? Should I have him send it seperate, even though I am mailing my LCOI and it would make sense to put both letters in the envelope to keep my information together. I know LOR's are supposed to be sealed and were never supposed to see them so I am not sure. What do you think?

dreamofNYC

Bronze

Post by dreamofNYC » Fri May 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Should the letter of continued interest contain a pledge to attend if taken off the wait-list (admitted)? Or can the pledge be made separately?

Thanks all. I'm visiting Duke this coming Monday. It's a great one-on-one opportunity. I'm sending them my LOCI today, but I don't know whether or not I should express my "pledge to attend" at this point or after I meet with them?

tortsandtiaras

Bronze

Post by tortsandtiaras » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:31 am

Too lazy to look through this entire thread...Should the LOCI be sent through e-mail or through snail mail? I've sent them through snail mail before and never got acknowledgment of receipt for them. Should I just e-mail my letter and write please confirm receipt of this letter?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:48 am

legallyrose wrote:Too lazy to look through this entire thread...Should the LOCI be sent through e-mail or through snail mail? I've sent them through snail mail before and never got acknowledgment of receipt for them. Should I just e-mail my letter and write please confirm receipt of this letter?

Email. Idk why you would send anything snail mail in 2014.

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Has anyone written a LOCI after visiting the school in person? I would really appreciate it if someone could share a LOCI along those lines or could PM me one. Thanks!

Baumdiggity

New

Post by Baumdiggity » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:31 pm

Loney M. Setnick wrote:Has anyone written a LOCI after visiting the school in person? I would really appreciate it if someone could share a LOCI along those lines or could PM me one. Thanks!
+1

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Baumdiggity wrote:
Loney M. Setnick wrote:Has anyone written a LOCI after visiting the school in person? I would really appreciate it if someone could share a LOCI along those lines or could PM me one. Thanks!
+1
If you're still looking, I can share what I have written along with what I really like about it. I don't know about it's efficacy yet. You could also help me figure out what fat I need to trim off of it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”