Sample LOCI letters and article Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
agora139

Bronze

Re: Sample LOCI letters and article

Post by agora139 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 am

ugh i know this is a nitpicky question, but how should i format the heading of my letter? so far i have this:

Name
Address
Address #2
City, State, Zip
LXXXXXXXX

Date

School
Address
Address #2

Dear Adcomm:

<letter>

BUT this seems like so much formatting for the letter, which doesnt start til like 1/3 of the way down the page. is there any other option, or is this how i should do it? the letter is at exactly one page (single spaced) with the formatting as is. any help would be appreciated!

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 am

agora139 wrote:ugh i know this is a nitpicky question, but how should i format the heading of my letter? so far i have this:

Name
Address
Address #2
City, State, Zip
LXXXXXXXX

Date

School
Address
Address #2

Dear Adcomm:

<letter>

BUT this seems like so much formatting for the letter, which doesnt start til like 1/3 of the way down the page. is there any other option, or is this how i should do it? the letter is at exactly one page (single spaced) with the formatting as is. any help would be appreciated!
also...is everything in the heading aligned to the left? that's how i have it now...

FutureInLaw

Bronze

Post by FutureInLaw » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:45 pm

Is the Penn LOCI on page 5 considered an exemplar? It's almost 2 pages long!

ams

New

Post by ams » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Some good LOCI basics if you're feeling a bit clueless. I haven't heard from MVP and it's been like three months, so I think this is what I'll be doing over the rest of my three day weekend....

--LinkRemoved--

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:26 pm

would anyone be willing to read my LOCI? i would greatly appreciate it. thank you in advance to anyone who offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shloime

Bronze

Post by Shloime » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:32 pm

bbermud wrote:would anyone be willing to read my LOCI? i would greatly appreciate it. thank you in advance to anyone who offers.
Sure! You can PM me!

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Shloime wrote:
bbermud wrote:would anyone be willing to read my LOCI? i would greatly appreciate it. thank you in advance to anyone who offers.
Sure! You can PM me!

Thank you! Sending it now.

CanesaLuva

New

Post by CanesaLuva » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:35 pm

bumpink

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm writing a LOCI for University of Washington and was wondering if I needed to fully write out "The University of Washington School of Law" every time I refer to it, or if "UW's law school" would be appropriate enough. Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

renee88

Bronze

Post by renee88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:03 pm

kalede wrote:I'm writing a LOCI for University of Washington and was wondering if I needed to fully write out "The University of Washington School of Law" every time I refer to it, or if "UW's law school" would be appropriate enough. Thoughts?
This is just my opinion of course, but I would write it out the first time and then abbreviate. That's what I'm doing with SMU. Schools usually abbreviate in their own letters, so I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But if anyone else has a different opinion, please share!

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:53 pm

How personal should a LOCI be? To be quite honest, the last 4 months of my life have been some of the roughest. So updating them on that might make it seem more like a second personal statement and i'm guessing i should be avoiding that.

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:58 pm

OK, so I got waitlisted at my top choice law school. I should send them a LOCI right? But what if since I sent my application, I haven't really been up to anything new? They have my latest grades, etc.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:02 pm

sknight323 wrote:OK, so I got waitlisted at my top choice law school. I should send them a LOCI right? But what if since I sent my application, I haven't really been up to anything new? They have my latest grades, etc.

Letting the school know of new things is not the primary focus of the LOCI. The first LOCI should be to demonstrate your "continued interest" in the law school, and that if accepted, you will attend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Mike088 wrote:How personal should a LOCI be? To be quite honest, the last 4 months of my life have been some of the roughest. So updating them on that might make it seem more like a second personal statement and i'm guessing i should be avoiding that.

LOCI stands for Letter of Continued Interest. Nothing in that acronym hints at telling them anything about your personal life.

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks.

By the way, is it appropriate to e-mail these or should they be sent by snail mail?

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:10 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Mike088 wrote:How personal should a LOCI be? To be quite honest, the last 4 months of my life have been some of the roughest. So updating them on that might make it seem more like a second personal statement and i'm guessing i should be avoiding that.

LOCI stands for Letter of Continued Interest. Nothing in that acronym hints at telling them anything about your personal life.

Well yeah thanks i know what the acronym stands for. I'm just considering including a little bit because of many people saying to update them on what i have been up to the last 4 months.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Mike088 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

Well yeah thanks i know what the acronym stands for. I'm just considering including a little bit because of many people saying to update them on what i have been up to the last 4 months.

Yes, they do say that. And it's probably good advice, unless what you're submitting is not going to contribute to your chances of admission.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:19 pm

too awesome.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:21 pm

sknight323 wrote:Thanks.

By the way, is it appropriate to e-mail these or should they be sent by snail mail?

Unless your school says otherwise, email is probably fine. It also allows you to immediately check to make sure it has been put in your file. You could also mail it directly to the admissions dean and it will probably get read, but no guarantee it will get into your file.

Jimsta

New

Post by Jimsta » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:57 pm

I was just waitlisted by my by #1. I applied before I received my February LSAT score....with a 7 point bump :)

Before I had a chance to send in an addendum, I received an email from the school saying they were no longer accepting addenda. Do you guys think I should briefly account for this in my LOCI or stick with the traditional drivel?

h0peful

New

Post by h0peful » Mon May 09, 2011 1:24 pm

I've read a lot of information about LOCIs, but I can't seem the find the answer to a specific question I have.

I sent in a LOCI before I heard a decision from a school, simply because I was in-review for so long without hearing anything. I was recently waitlisted. I'm unsure of what to send in now. Should I write another LOCI - or send in an update? What would the update need to say/look like? I don't know if I should say "I'm writing to you, after being waitlisted, to express my continued interest in attending ____. Although I have already sent in a letter of continued interest, I would like to reaffirm that interest and remind you that ____ is still my first choice school. blah blah, updates on my life (not really any)."

Also - should I tell them that I would be willing to attend part time if not admitted full time? Or does that seem like I am giving up hope on being admitted FT?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swl56

Bronze

Post by swl56 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:39 pm

h0peful wrote:I've read a lot of information about LOCIs, but I can't seem the find the answer to a specific question I have.

I sent in a LOCI before I heard a decision from a school, simply because I was in-review for so long without hearing anything. I was recently waitlisted. I'm unsure of what to send in now. Should I write another LOCI - or send in an update? What would the update need to say/look like? I don't know if I should say "I'm writing to you, after being waitlisted, to express my continued interest in attending ____. Although I have already sent in a letter of continued interest, I would like to reaffirm that interest and remind you that ____ is still my first choice school. blah blah, updates on my life (not really any)."

Also - should I tell them that I would be willing to attend part time if not admitted full time? Or does that seem like I am giving up hope on being admitted FT?
+1. i'd also like to know the answer to this! if i had already written a why ______ in my first LOCI, should i come up with more reasons for a second LOCI? or just update them on what i've done since then?

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:52 am

*bump*

I was waitlisted at my #1 choice and would deeply appreciate it if an experienced eye would be willing to look over my LOCI via PM.

ix88

New

Post by ix88 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Would it be ok to both email and snail-mail my LOCI?

"To accept a place on our wait list, please send an email including your full name and LSAC account number to [XYZ] no later than two weeks from the date of this e-mail.

You may include in your email any new information that you wish the Committee to consider, such as final term grades, honors and awards, or recent career accomplishments."

rma

Bronze

Post by rma » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”