Tattoo?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tasha88

New

Tattoo?

Postby tasha88 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:19 am

I have a small star tattoo (one-inch diameter) on the back of my neck and it has always been concealed by my hair until recently. I had to get my head shaved due to medical reasons (surgery) and now it's visible.. I have an off-campus interview with a T14 school this week and I can't magically grow hair or wear a turtleneck in this weather (I live in SoCal). Will T14 schools be off-put by my tattoo? How about biglaw/PI/gov/clerkship jobs in the future? I assume I'll grow my hair out by then but I'm worried in the chance I have to get it shaved again.. I can't believe I have to worry about my tattoo when there are bigger things I need to focus on lol I always thought it would be concealed by my hair but this has taught me the real uncertainty of the future :( Any help would be immensely appreciated!

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Tattoo?

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:29 am

There is specialized makeup designed to cover up tattoos, and I would recommend it for an interview. It also sounds like your tattoo is small enough that this isn't a crazy option.

The law is, by and large, a conservative profession. I know and you know that your tattoo doesn't make you any less qualified to get a JD/practice as a lawyer, but unfortunately, you'll be interviewing with people who probably have a slightly different take on things. I do think it's less of an issue for a school interview, but for biglaw, etc., it absolutely will raise an eyebrow or two.

If you're planning on getting any more ink, I'd just recommend keeping it in the t-shirt and shorts zone of your body.

tasha88

New

Re: Tattoo?

Postby tasha88 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:41 am

cavalier1138 wrote:There is specialized makeup designed to cover up tattoos, and I would recommend it for an interview. It also sounds like your tattoo is small enough that this isn't a crazy option.

The law is, by and large, a conservative profession. I know and you know that your tattoo doesn't make you any less qualified to get a JD/practice as a lawyer, but unfortunately, you'll be interviewing with people who probably have a slightly different take on things. I do think it's less of an issue for a school interview, but for biglaw, etc., it absolutely will raise an eyebrow or two.

If you're planning on getting any more ink, I'd just recommend keeping it in the t-shirt and shorts zone of your body.

Thank you so much for giving me hope!! I hadn't considered the makeup option and I agree that's the fastest and most reliable way to conceal my tattoo since my interview is in a couple of days. I am definitely not gonna get any more ink...this little star is giving me enough trouble already! :lol: I really appreciate your advice!!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�