Working for another year or go to law school next year?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
onlyhere4fun

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Working for another year or go to law school next year?

Postby onlyhere4fun » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:56 am

.
Last edited by onlyhere4fun on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
circle.the.wagons

Bronze
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Re: Working for another year or go to law school next year?

Postby circle.the.wagons » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:17 am

Are you asking from a financial standpoint? Realistically you won't be able to know until you get your acceptances and any scholarships, and it also depends on your career goals. But if you get into a top school and are aiming for biglaw, waiting a year to go to law school is a year lost of biglaw salary/savings. Unless you are living rent free right now it probably doesn't make sense to do that (if you are, then waiting a year putting away 15-25k this year is obviously helpful). On the other hand, if you are going to a mid-tier school with prospects of 60-80k out of school, maybe waiting and saving for another year isn't an awful idea.

I'm 2 years out of UG and living on my own. I'm saving a little but nowhere near that 15-25k range I mentioned before, so if it were me, waiting doesnt make too much sense unless I get slaughtered on the scholarship front.

onlyhere4fun

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Re: Working for another year or go to law school next year?

Postby onlyhere4fun » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:54 am

.
Last edited by onlyhere4fun on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr. Archer

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: Working for another year or go to law school next year?

Postby Mr. Archer » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:06 pm

onlyhere4fun wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote: Yeah I definitely considered it from that perspective. I do want to go a top law school and do big law for the exit opps. And I see how it's more time I guess "wasted" if I don't go asap. But coming from a poor family, when I couldn't afford lunch or breakfast many days, it's just nice to be able to experience working like this for a bit. I'm still living with my mom and I planned on saving around 14-15k for law school, but I would be only be able to save that amount comfortably in at least and 1 and a half years (if I went to law school this cycle then I will have worked at this company for maybe 8-9 months). Your point is valid and I get where you're coming from, but I kinda feel like I would be rushing out of this job (which was a godsend honestly, I didn't think I'd find for the rest of this year). I'm torn :cry:


Law school will be there in another year if you wait. You can enjoy being out of school and having income to do what you want, and you can pay off some loans and avoid a debt increase from deferring payments until after law school. Saving for law school would also be nice. It gives you the option of taking out less loans for living expenses. Waiting could also give you some advantage in admissions. You could get all your application materials ready to submit at the beginning of the next admissions cycle. As long as you have a job, I don't think you would be making a wrong decision either way. Even if you apply this cycle and think you can do better, don't feel pressured to attend right away.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Working for another year or go to law school next year?

Postby addie1412 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:05 pm

I think the answer to this depends entirely on how you actually did yesterday

onlyhere4fun

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Re: Working for another year or go to law school next year?

Postby onlyhere4fun » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Mr. Archer wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote: Yeah I definitely considered it from that perspective. I do want to go a top law school and do big law for the exit opps. And I see how it's more time I guess "wasted" if I don't go asap. But coming from a poor family, when I couldn't afford lunch or breakfast many days, it's just nice to be able to experience working like this for a bit. I'm still living with my mom and I planned on saving around 14-15k for law school, but I would be only be able to save that amount comfortably in at least and 1 and a half years (if I went to law school this cycle then I will have worked at this company for maybe 8-9 months). Your point is valid and I get where you're coming from, but I kinda feel like I would be rushing out of this job (which was a godsend honestly, I didn't think I'd find for the rest of this year). I'm torn :cry:


Law school will be there in another year if you wait. You can enjoy being out of school and having income to do what you want, and you can pay off some loans and avoid a debt increase from deferring payments until after law school. Saving for law school would also be nice. It gives you the option of taking out less loans for living expenses. Waiting could also give you some advantage in admissions. You could get all your application materials ready to submit at the beginning of the next admissions cycle. As long as you have a job, I don't think you would be making a wrong decision either way. Even if you apply this cycle and think you can do better, don't feel pressured to attend right away.


Yeah I have the same viewpoint as yours essentially. I really don't think there's a rush to go into law school (although I really want to go). I just wanted to think about the pros and cons of either decision. I thank you for your input good sir :)

onlyhere4fun

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Re: Working for another year or go to law school next year?

Postby onlyhere4fun » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:32 pm

addie1412 wrote:I think the answer to this depends entirely on how you actually did yesterday


Hmm that's true. I may bump this thread once I get my score back and revisit the topic. If I am happy with it, I might have a change of heart about working longer.

charmonster

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:34 pm

Re: Working for another year or go to law school next year?

Postby charmonster » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:33 pm

You should 100% stay in your position.

More relevant work experience will help clarify what kind of lawyer you want to be and may pay significant dividends in the admissions process (including increasing your shot at a full ride by giving yourself time for a retake and improving your softs) and at OCI. It's not as simple as comparing your current salary and your presumed big law salary: you may not make it into big law, you are likely to have better shot at/options in big law with good WE, and you have the power to reduce your prospective debt load at the same time, both through aiming for a full ride and saving for COL expenses.

In addition, use this time to build skills, especially bluebooking, legal research, and learning how to work efficiently. Ask for more challenging assignments if you get bored. Make a good impression on your supervisors and connect with them about advice and future work opportunities.

onlyhere4fun

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Re: Working for another year or go to law school next year?

Postby onlyhere4fun » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:28 pm

charmonster wrote:You should 100% stay in your position.

More relevant work experience will help clarify what kind of lawyer you want to be and may pay significant dividends in the admissions process (including increasing your shot at a full ride by giving yourself time for a retake and improving your softs) and at OCI. It's not as simple as comparing your current salary and your presumed big law salary: you may not make it into big law, you are likely to have better shot at/options in big law with good WE, and you have the power to reduce your prospective debt load at the same time, both through aiming for a full ride and saving for COL expenses.

In addition, use this time to build skills, especially bluebooking, legal research, and learning how to work efficiently. Ask for more challenging assignments if you get bored. Make a good impression on your supervisors and connect with them about advice and future work opportunities.


This is really good advice! Thank you for taking the time to write this post. You're right, I can't plan ahead for biglaw, I can only work with what I have now and I should adjust and plan based on that.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Buggefraiche and 23 guests