Michigan Essays

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bagelofthedamnd

New

Michigan Essays

Postby bagelofthedamnd » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:08 am

Michigan lets you do up to 2 out of 8 essays. 2 of them are essentially the addendum and diversity statement I have refined and sent to most other schools. Should I re-submit both of those or work on a new U-M-specific essay, like the one that is essentially ‘Why Michigan?’?

Why???

New

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby Why??? » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:48 am

bagelofthedamnd wrote:Michigan lets you do up to 2 out of 8 essays. 2 of them are essentially the addendum and diversity statement I have refined and sent to most other schools. Should I re-submit both of those or work on a new U-M-specific essay, like the one that is essentially ‘Why Michigan?’?

I would do a Why Michigan- especially if your are in the YP range

bagelofthedamnd

New

Postby bagelofthedamnd » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:32 am

Instead of which one? And I doubt I'm in YP range. I'm at 168/3.65 and they are 164-168-169 / 3.56-3.74-3.82

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:07 am

bagelofthedamnd wrote:Instead of which one? And I doubt I'm in YP range. I'm at 168/3.65 and they are 164-168-169 / 3.56-3.74-3.82

I think it depends - what's your addendum for? Your numbers are right in Michigan's range so you may not need the addendum. Alternatively, you could write a Why Michigan essay that weaves your diversity statement in.

If you have any specific questions about Michigan feel free to PM me
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bagelofthedamnd

New

Postby bagelofthedamnd » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:12 pm

blueapple wrote:
bagelofthedamnd wrote:Instead of which one? And I doubt I'm in YP range. I'm at 168/3.65 and they are 164-168-169 / 3.56-3.74-3.82

I think it depends - what's your addendum for? Your numbers are right in Michigan's range so you may not need the addendum. Alternatively, you could write a Why Michigan essay that weaves your diversity statement in.

Addendum was about a substantial LSAT increase and a method to draw attention to good qualities. Was explaining my GPA by saying telling them that I took 150% the credits I needed to graduate, and did it by taking top-UG-level courses in 7 different departments. Also brought up all the science courses and extra curriculars I took, plus something about my intention to take the patent bar.

If I wrote a Why X I don't think I could make it relate to my diversity statement, which relates to being a poor immigrant who works in science and politics. Been writing my Why X mostly on tech and entrepreneurship.

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:05 am

bagelofthedamnd wrote:
blueapple wrote:

Addendum was about a substantial LSAT increase and a method to draw attention to good qualities. Was explaining my GPA by saying telling them that I took 150% the credits I needed to graduate, and did it by taking top-UG-level courses in 7 different departments. Also brought up all the science courses and extra curriculars I took, plus something about my intention to take the patent bar.

If I wrote a Why X I don't think I could make it relate to my diversity statement, which relates to being a poor immigrant who works in science and politics. Been writing my Why X mostly on tech and entrepreneurship.

I think I would skip the addendum then. You're right at LSAT median and your GPA is good even if it's a little below median. They'll be able to see from your transcript what classes and credits you took. I think a Why Michigan will have a lot more impact compared to explaining your solid scores that are more-or-less self-evident. Dean Z will assume your LSAT increased because you figured out a study method that works for you, even if you don't spell it out for her
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bagelofthedamnd

New

Postby bagelofthedamnd » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks for the help! I emailed UM and they said I could do all three. But what you said really made me feel a lot better about my application. Thanks so much!

blueapple

Silver

Post removed...

Postby blueapple » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Post removed...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?