Anyone take a year off...and then another year off? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
studyingeveryday

Silver

Anyone take a year off...and then another year off?

Post by studyingeveryday » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:06 pm

So, I'm taking a year off after undergrad. I did not research very well in my senior year, and was adamant about going KJD. However, I was quite stressed out and essentially wasted two takes. I retook in September, and still didn't do as well as I wanted to. (which is another problem--admittedly, I realized quite late that there were much better study methods out there, and I don't know how I feel about retaking a fourth time, but I'm going to just see how this cycle goes first).

I've already applied for this cycle, but now I'm starting to open myself to the idea of taking another year off depending on how this cycle goes.

I know many people have taken 2+ (and many more) gap years, but I always assumed those individuals intended on taking many years off (if I am wrong, I would love to hear about why you waited/how you feel about having done so).

However, did anyone start off intending to go KJD...then intending to take only one year off...and then ended up taking another year off? How did that work out/how is that working out? I feel a bit stressed about delaying yet again.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Anyone take a year off...and then another year off?

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:11 pm

I knew I couldn't do K-JD, so my plan was to paralegal for a year or so first. Ended getting a cool legal consulting gig and they kept promoting and paying decently so law school didn't make sense until after 6 years and I was starting to hit a ceiling on promotion prospects.

I know of multiple stories like mine; there is no hurry to go to law school, dude.

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlackJD » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Last edited by LegallyBlackJD on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:29 pm

I basically took five years off. I only intended on taking a year off, but kind of got intimidated by the crappy economy and debt burden of law school. But I don't know, I eventually took the plunge and the whole thing went by in a flash. I don't think it negatively impacted me one way or the other.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:33 pm

I took... 6-ish "gap" years, and am currently amidst my second cycle. I was pretty set on going to law school during my final 2 years of high school, and then my first year or two of UG. By graduation, I was ready for a break and wanted to use my degree (secondary education -- but thanks to governmental intervention, the public school system is a freakin'g mess in this country*).

During my "gap" years, I did all kinds of things and learned valuable lessons about who I am (I also moved pretty far away from any family or relatives, which helps with that much). I have been involved with businesses and teaching -- I'm currently sitting in a ESL Resource teaching position and running a fairly successful business with Herbalife Nutrition.

I am now done with my gap years and will not be taking another, but I also am glad I got out of that academia bubble and fully established a life in the "real world" before going to law school. I would highly recommend that other people do it as well.

*Granted, I have spent all of my years at inner-city public schools

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:51 pm

I seriously thank ALL of you for your responses. They have been really enlightening and I've realized another gap year won't be so bad and will probably actually help me. If this cycle doesn't turn out how I'd like, I think I'll feel okay waiting it out.

That said, did anyone (either those who have already replied or those who haven't yet) take the LSAT four times? I've already posted about this ages ago and found a few people who have, but it wouldn't hurt hearing about anyone else doing so since I feel hesitant and nervous about how schools will view this.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:59 am

I'm in the midst of my second gap year (graduated spring of 2015), and am thinking about a third; have taken the LSAT twice, and am getting ready for a third take in June.

I did not know I wanted to go law school until I was intensely studying for the LSAT. I started right after I graduated mostly because I couldn't get a job, and my parents wanted me to do it. My diagnostic was in the 140s, and I was going to apply with that and go to SLU or Denver, and call it a day (though I probably would not have even gotten into those schools!). Started doing research, and realized this was a terrible idea. As I studied more, researched more, and started working a full-time job, I slowly realized I really did have an interest in the law and wanted to be a lawyer. After a year of studying and working, I sat for my first take in June of 2016 and scored in the 1671-171 range. I had practiced at a considerably higher rate, so I sat in September and scored one point lower.

I did apply this cycle, and have every intention of going in the fall of 2017. However, I plan on attacking the LSAT again at the beginning of 2017 and sitting in June to see if I can increase my score at all (was waitlisted at two of my top choices, so feeling kinda desperate). If it's where I was practicing last time, I'd consider reapplying and waiting another year. Not sure what the hell I would do with my free time. Keep working I guess, though I've been doing social media marketing (yes, it's as easy as it sounds) since I've graduated, and am bored out of my mind. Might go teach English in Korea or China if I have to wait another year.
Last edited by somedeadman on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:01 am

studyingeveryday wrote:
That said, did anyone (either those who have already replied or those who haven't yet) take the LSAT four times? I've already posted about this ages ago and found a few people who have, but it wouldn't hurt hearing about anyone else doing so since I feel hesitant and nervous about how schools will view this.
I'm under the impression that only your highest score matters. At least that's what Spivey says.

lg77

New

Post by lg77 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:41 am

I intended to take one year off, but my first two LSATs were disastrous (Dec. and June of my senior year). I ended up taking a second year off, and retaking for the third time (Dec. 2015). FWIW, I think taking another year off was a great decision, and my cycle is going well so far. Feel free to PM me!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:55 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:37 pm

littlewing67 wrote:At first I was interested in K-JD then when it came to take the lsat in June my junior year I canceled and knew I wasn't ready. Senior year I also knew I wasn't ready and wanted to use my full potential. I studied from when I graduated until Sept. and took the Sept. lsat hoping to apply this cycle. Wasn't happy with my score so now I'm studying again to retake next Sept. and hopefully apply next cycle. I personally do not feel rushed to run into law school because I'd rather get into an amazing school with money than go to any old school that will accept me.
Are you working at all, or focusing on studying?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:59 pm

Last edited by dietcoke1 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ssolli

New

Post by ssolli » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:32 pm

I intended to take 2 years off between college and law school because I wanted to work and I wasn't ready for more school quite yet. I took the LSAT a year after graduation and I did well, but I still wasn't quite ready for more school. I'm finally applying this cycle, and it will have been 5 years since college one I finally go to law school. Everyone is different, but for me it took a while to get excited about going back to school and really committing to working hard at it. I have also gotten a lot of experience working as a paralegal since college which has made me a lot more confident in my decision to go to law school in the first place.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm on my 5th gap year. The real world is pretty meh for a sociology major as well. But I guess the time off was cool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”