T6 February LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpadoreo

New
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:28 am

T6 February LSAT

Postby kpadoreo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:15 am

I'm writing the LSAT for the first time in a few days and worried about not getting a high enough score to get into the T6 schools I'm aiming for. I'm trying to thus figure out if I should register for the February LSAT or if I mess up on Saturday, or if I should just put law school off another year. I know most people on here are in favour of waiting a year if that means better chances/ more scholarship money, however there are a number of personal reasons for which it would really be better to not wait.
Thus, my question is about acceptance to T6 schools (or T14 schools with $) using a February LSAT score. Specifically, if I'm already a few points of where I need to be (low 170s let's say), would I be able to submit applications and say that I'm expecting a higher score for February?
Specifically, since NYU and Yale don't do rolling admissions, does this mean that a February LSAT isn't that relevant for them? Or do they still look at it as late?
I realize that a higher score in February as well as a 170s on Saturday isn't guaranteed, but I'm working with hypotheticals at this point. Any comments/ advice on this theoretical situation would be greatly appreciated and put my mind at ease.

Cheers.

User avatar
TripTrip

Gold
Posts: 2766
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: T6 February LSAT

Postby TripTrip » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:56 am

kpadoreo wrote:I'm writing the LSAT for the first time in a few days and worried about not getting a high enough score to get into the T6 schools I'm aiming for. I'm trying to thus figure out if I should register for the February LSAT or if I mess up on Saturday, or if I should just put law school off another year. I know most people on here are in favour of waiting a year if that means better chances/ more scholarship money, however there are a number of personal reasons for which it would really be better to not wait.
Thus, my question is about acceptance to T6 schools (or T14 schools with $) using a February LSAT score. Specifically, if I'm already a few points of where I need to be (low 170s let's say), would I be able to submit applications and say that I'm expecting a higher score for February?
Specifically, since NYU and Yale don't do rolling admissions, does this mean that a February LSAT isn't that relevant for them? Or do they still look at it as late?
I realize that a higher score in February as well as a 170s on Saturday isn't guaranteed, but I'm working with hypotheticals at this point. Any comments/ advice on this theoretical situation would be greatly appreciated and put my mind at ease.

Cheers.

This isn't a favorable hypothetical for you. You're asking these schools not to consider you until after the application deadline, which puts you in a de-facto waitlist status. They will want to have already filled the class by the time you get your score, so you will only get in if there is matriculation movement.

I know it sucks to wait and I don't know what your personal reasons are, but you should be aware of how shitty of a position applying this year instead of next puts you in.

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: T6 February LSAT

Postby floatie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:57 pm

First off, don't lose focus on the December test. A lot of people worry about it, and then end up doing just fine.

Are your PT scores roughly in range of the 25/75 scores for the T6 schools you're aiming for? If so, then you should be fine on Saturday,

If not - is 2 months of studying really going to make a huge difference? It's less time than you think. If you really need to make more than 3-4 points change, then I wouldn't even bother with February, and plan on taking it in June and applying early next cycle.

Bunbury

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:05 pm

Re: T6 February LSAT

Postby Bunbury » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:06 pm

I'm writing the LSAT for the first time in a few days and worried about not getting a high enough score to get into the T6 schools I'm aiming for. I'm trying to thus figure out if I should register for the February LSAT or if I mess up on Saturday, or if I should just put law school off another year.


I think this depends on how far off you are from your target score. I would consider the Feb test (if Dec doesn't go as planned) if you're hitting your target score now but not with consistency. It sounds like you're in the low 170s now. If you're trying to break the mid to high 170s, I think this is feasible if you've already hit that score range in some of your recent PTS but are just not hitting it consistently. Especially if your weak point is LG. Otherwise, if you're set on hitting your target score, I would opt for June and not waste a second take.

Thus, my question is about acceptance to T6 schools (or T14 schools with $) using a February LSAT score. Specifically, if I'm already a few points of where I need to be (low 170s let's say), would I be able to submit applications and say that I'm expecting a higher score for February?


Yes. This is my understanding. However, I would call those schools who do not accept the Feb LSAT (Harvard, NYU, etc). I think they will evaluate your application with your Dec. score. They cannot promise to review the Feb score. Anecdotally, it seems a high score can help you get off a WL or give you more bargaining chips for scholarship. That said, as I'm sure you're aware, you're at a disadvantage here given timing.

Specifically, since NYU and Yale don't do rolling admissions, does this mean that a February LSAT isn't that relevant for them? Or do they still look at it as late?


Yale will accept and review your Feb LSAT score if you communicate that you are taking the test again and want to proceed with that score. Your file will be placed on hold until the score is received. NYU will move forward with your Dec. score. They may or may not consider your Feb score depending on timing but try to. I would give any schools a call directly. I called both NYU and Yale - the folks are really helpful and nice.

Zoidberg747

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:47 pm

Re: T6 February LSAT

Postby Zoidberg747 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:55 pm

Keep in mind you can sign up for the Feb. test and get a refund if you get a reportable score. I would wait and see your Dec. score and then decide whether to retake.

Those schools will most likely accept a Feb. score but money will be mostly gone. If you get accepted to schools with your Dec. score however, you can use a higher score on the retake to leverage more scholly $.

kpadoreo

New
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:28 am

Re: T6 February LSAT

Postby kpadoreo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:21 am

Zoidberg747 wrote:Keep in mind you can sign up for the Feb. test and get a refund if you get a reportable score. I would wait and see your Dec. score and then decide whether to retake.

Those schools will most likely accept a Feb. score but money will be mostly gone. If you get accepted to schools with your Dec. score however, you can use a higher score on the retake to leverage more scholly $.


Okay that's definitely an interesting option, as I would really like to have some sort of scholarship if I end up going below the T6. In that case then, would they first accept me and then I can go to them with a higher score and try to negotiate? I've only seen anecdotal information on here about negotiating scholarship money...

Bunbury wrote:
I'm writing the LSAT for the first time in a few days and worried about not getting a high enough score to get into the T6 schools I'm aiming for. I'm trying to thus figure out if I should register for the February LSAT or if I mess up on Saturday, or if I should just put law school off another year.


I think this depends on how far off you are from your target score. I would consider the Feb test (if Dec doesn't go as planned) if you're hitting your target score now but not with consistency. It sounds like you're in the low 170s now. If you're trying to break the mid to high 170s, I think this is feasible if you've already hit that score range in some of your recent PTS but are just not hitting it consistently. Especially if your weak point is LG. Otherwise, if you're set on hitting your target score, I would opt for June and not waste a second take.

Thus, my question is about acceptance to T6 schools (or T14 schools with $) using a February LSAT score. Specifically, if I'm already a few points of where I need to be (low 170s let's say), would I be able to submit applications and say that I'm expecting a higher score for February?


Yes. This is my understanding. However, I would call those schools who do not accept the Feb LSAT (Harvard, NYU, etc). I think they will evaluate your application with your Dec. score. They cannot promise to review the Feb score. Anecdotally, it seems a high score can help you get off a WL or give you more bargaining chips for scholarship. That said, as I'm sure you're aware, you're at a disadvantage here given timing.

Specifically, since NYU and Yale don't do rolling admissions, does this mean that a February LSAT isn't that relevant for them? Or do they still look at it as late?


Yale will accept and review your Feb LSAT score if you communicate that you are taking the test again and want to proceed with that score. Your file will be placed on hold until the score is received. NYU will move forward with your Dec. score. They may or may not consider your Feb score depending on timing but try to. I would give any schools a call directly. I called both NYU and Yale - the folks are really helpful and nice.


My PT scores have been fluctuating a lot more lately in the run up to the test, and also with the newer tests. I was consistently scoring about 175-177 (with a few 178s and a 179 in there) on the PTs in the 60s but then as soon as I hit PT 74 my score took a hit and went back down to the low 170s. I've been practicing a lot with these newer tests and am now back to around 174, but I'm just worried that nerves/stress will knock this down a bit on test day. Unfortunately my LG score is pretty consistently -1 or 0 missed, so most of the points I need to get up into the 174+ range have to come from RC, where I can't seem to get better than -4, and which I know is very difficult to improve on.
As for my GPA, it is in the 75th percentile for every school except Yale, I believe, hence why I would be frustrated going somewhere in the lower T14 without a scholarship.

Bunbury

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:05 pm

Re: T6 February LSAT

Postby Bunbury » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:12 pm

My PT scores have been fluctuating a lot more lately in the run up to the test, and also with the newer tests. I was consistently scoring about 175-177 (with a few 178s and a 179 in there) on the PTs in the 60s but then as soon as I hit PT 74 my score took a hit and went back down to the low 170s. I've been practicing a lot with these newer tests and am now back to around 174, but I'm just worried that nerves/stress will knock this down a bit on test day.


Here's to hoping you find yourself on the higher end of your average come tomorrow :). If you have a good sense of your performance with your PTs, and walk out feeling like you didn't quite nail it tomorrow, I think Feb would be the perfect back up for you. That said, hopefully that's a bridge you won't have to cross. Good luck!

As for my GPA, it is in the 75th percentile for every school except Yale, I believe, hence why I would be frustrated going somewhere in the lower T14 without a scholarship.


It sounds like you're a strong candidate in all regards. I can't imagine you wouldn't get scholarships from the lower T14 as is.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: T6 February LSAT

Postby chargers21 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:30 pm

.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests