Feb LSAT Petition

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bunbury

New

Feb LSAT Petition

Postby Bunbury » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:30 pm

I know applying with only a February score is strongly advised against. Having said that, has anyone had experience reaching out to schools like Columbia who have stated they will accept the February score if the student petitions in advance (and their request is granted)?

I couldn't find anything on this when I searched but feel free to redirect me if I overlooked something.

Here's their official statement:

Do you accept scores from the February 2017 LSAT administration for admission to the 2017 entering class?

For the 2016-2017 admissions cycle, we will consider scores from the February 2017 LSAT from candidates who petition in writing and receive confirmation of petition approval by January 1, 2017. Petitions for 2017 February LSAT score consideration should be emailed to admissions@law.columbia.edu. As we have in past cycles, the Admissions Committee strongly encourages applicants to take the LSAT no later than the December test administration and to complete their applications earlier rather than later in the cycle.

Taking the February LSAT will not harm your chances of admission. However, please be advised that we review applications on a rolling basis; therefore, sitting for the February test administration may place you at a strategic disadvantage. In order to maximize your standing, you should submit all other components of the application as soon as possible before the application deadline and indicate in the materials that you are registered to take the February LSAT, in addition to submitting a petition requesting that the Admissions Committee consider your application with scores from the February 2017 LSAT.

TripTrip

Gold

Re: Feb LSAT Petition

Postby TripTrip » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:00 am

Probably few people on TLS have done this because:
1) It hurts your chances at the schools that allow compared to just waiting for the next cycle.
2) It puts you out of the running for Harvard, et al., where they won't accept February scores.
3) It prevents schools from needing to lure you with a scholarship, since you won't have any other options anyway.

Bunbury

New

Postby Bunbury » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks for the response. I agree with you - applying with a Feb score is not advisable for the reasons you mentioned. All the schools who accept the score reiterate this to a certain extent in their FAQs as well.

That said, I'm still curious :) While most folks don't go down this route, there's got to be someone who knows someone who knows someone...

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:00 pm

Doesn't hurt to email or call them directly. The worst thing they can say is no.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�