Post-interview Etiquette

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Fantasyfreak294

New

Post-interview Etiquette

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:31 pm

Should one send a thank-you note post-interview? If so, should that be via mail or email?

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Post-interview Etiquette

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:42 pm

If you interviewed with an alumnus, there's nothing wrong with sending a thank-you note (even though it might come off as a little kiss-ass). If you interviewed with an adcomm, that's their job.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:28 am

cavalier1138 wrote:If you interviewed with an alumnus, there's nothing wrong with sending a thank-you note (even though it might come off as a little kiss-ass). If you interviewed with an adcomm, that's their job.

It doesn't matter if it's their job, you still send a thank you note. It isn't difficult to do. For a lot of people, it won't matter. For some, it will mean something.

Just make sure to proofread it, and don't write anything awkward or weird.

LawschoolHopeful2k16

New

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Are you guys talking about an email or mailed letter?

Fantasyfreak294

New

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:29 pm

LawschoolHopeful2k16 wrote:Are you guys talking about an email or mailed letter?

Same question.

Fantasyfreak294

New

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:30 pm

lawman84 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:If you interviewed with an alumnus, there's nothing wrong with sending a thank-you note (even though it might come off as a little kiss-ass). If you interviewed with an adcomm, that's their job.

It doesn't matter if it's their job, you still send a thank you note. It isn't difficult to do. For a lot of people, it won't matter. For some, it will mean something.

Just make sure to proofread it, and don't write anything awkward or weird.

Thanks!

Fantasyfreak294

New

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:30 pm

Gracias for input

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:33 pm

Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
LawschoolHopeful2k16 wrote:Are you guys talking about an email or mailed letter?

Same question.

I generally use an email unless it's someone really important (like a judge). For adcomms, I think an email suffices. For alumni, email will generally suffice. If it's someone you're really impressed by (like a top lawyer in a market you want to practice in), you can send a mailed letter if you choose.

I've found that people in the baby boomer and older generations are more likely to be impressed by a hand-written letter.

Basically, an email generally suffices if you're going to send a thank you letter.

I think this also depends on market to some degree. I'm Southern. I think in big markets like NYC, thank you notes aren't necessary. Down here in the South, it's generally a good idea to send them.

bearsfan23

Gold

Postby bearsfan23 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:34 am

lawman84 wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:

Same question.

I generally use an email unless it's someone really important (like a judge). For adcomms, I think an email suffices. For alumni, email will generally suffice. If it's someone you're really impressed by (like a top lawyer in a market you want to practice in), you can send a mailed letter if you choose.

I've found that people in the baby boomer and older generations are more likely to be impressed by a hand-written letter.

Basically, an email generally suffices if you're going to send a thank you letter.

I think this also depends on market to some degree. I'm Southern. I think in big markets like NYC, thank you notes aren't necessary. Down here in the South, it's generally a good idea to send them.

You should never give advice to anyone, ever.

Stick to defending men who punch girls in the face

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:39 am

I think this is just etiquette in general, especially in the working world.
Always follow up with a thank-you email (maybe not snail mail).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�