Post-interview Etiquette

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Fantasyfreak294

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Post-interview Etiquette

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:31 pm

Should one send a thank-you note post-interview? If so, should that be via mail or email?

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Post-interview Etiquette

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:42 pm

If you interviewed with an alumnus, there's nothing wrong with sending a thank-you note (even though it might come off as a little kiss-ass). If you interviewed with an adcomm, that's their job.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7647
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Post-interview Etiquette

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:28 am

cavalier1138 wrote:If you interviewed with an alumnus, there's nothing wrong with sending a thank-you note (even though it might come off as a little kiss-ass). If you interviewed with an adcomm, that's their job.


It doesn't matter if it's their job, you still send a thank you note. It isn't difficult to do. For a lot of people, it won't matter. For some, it will mean something.

Just make sure to proofread it, and don't write anything awkward or weird.

LawschoolHopeful2k16

New
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: Post-interview Etiquette

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Are you guys talking about an email or mailed letter?

Fantasyfreak294

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Post-interview Etiquette

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:29 pm

LawschoolHopeful2k16 wrote:Are you guys talking about an email or mailed letter?


Same question.

Fantasyfreak294

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Post-interview Etiquette

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:30 pm

lawman84 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:If you interviewed with an alumnus, there's nothing wrong with sending a thank-you note (even though it might come off as a little kiss-ass). If you interviewed with an adcomm, that's their job.


It doesn't matter if it's their job, you still send a thank you note. It isn't difficult to do. For a lot of people, it won't matter. For some, it will mean something.

Just make sure to proofread it, and don't write anything awkward or weird.


Thanks!

Fantasyfreak294

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Post-interview Etiquette

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:If you interviewed with an alumnus, there's nothing wrong with sending a thank-you note (even though it might come off as a little kiss-ass). If you interviewed with an adcomm, that's their job.


Gracias for input

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7647
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Post-interview Etiquette

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:33 pm

Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
LawschoolHopeful2k16 wrote:Are you guys talking about an email or mailed letter?


Same question.


I generally use an email unless it's someone really important (like a judge). For adcomms, I think an email suffices. For alumni, email will generally suffice. If it's someone you're really impressed by (like a top lawyer in a market you want to practice in), you can send a mailed letter if you choose.

I've found that people in the baby boomer and older generations are more likely to be impressed by a hand-written letter.

Basically, an email generally suffices if you're going to send a thank you letter.

I think this also depends on market to some degree. I'm Southern. I think in big markets like NYC, thank you notes aren't necessary. Down here in the South, it's generally a good idea to send them.

User avatar
bearsfan23

Gold
Posts: 1755
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Post-interview Etiquette

Postby bearsfan23 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:34 am

lawman84 wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
LawschoolHopeful2k16 wrote:Are you guys talking about an email or mailed letter?


Same question.


I generally use an email unless it's someone really important (like a judge). For adcomms, I think an email suffices. For alumni, email will generally suffice. If it's someone you're really impressed by (like a top lawyer in a market you want to practice in), you can send a mailed letter if you choose.

I've found that people in the baby boomer and older generations are more likely to be impressed by a hand-written letter.

Basically, an email generally suffices if you're going to send a thank you letter.

I think this also depends on market to some degree. I'm Southern. I think in big markets like NYC, thank you notes aren't necessary. Down here in the South, it's generally a good idea to send them.


You should never give advice to anyone, ever.

Stick to defending men who punch girls in the face

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Post-interview Etiquette

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:39 am

I think this is just etiquette in general, especially in the working world.
Always follow up with a thank-you email (maybe not snail mail).



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests