Addendum Necessary?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
curry4bfast

New

Addendum Necessary?

Postby curry4bfast » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:02 am

I've already submitted all my apps and I didn't think I had to write an addendum but now I am second guessing myself. I had a 7-8 point drop between my first LSAT and my second LSAT for no good reason except having an off day. Is it worth it to write an addendum and email it to the admissions department saying more or less this and I retook my first score because it was below my PT range? I'm applying to t14s if that makes any difference.

mrtux45

Bronze

Re: Addendum Necessary?

Postby mrtux45 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:09 am

Last edited by mrtux45 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Campos

Silver

Postby Paul Campos » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:04 pm

mrtux45 wrote:From what I've heard, any drop 6 or more is worth addressing because that's outside a reasonable score band. I wouldn't necessarily say "I had an off day", because at T14 level LSAT you presumably have some consistency at high scores.. you don't want your awesome score to seem like a fluke in the other direction.

Is there anything specific that you can point to that threw you off on test day? Maybe that combined with some regret about not cancelling could be sufficient. Regardless, I'd keep the addendum as short and to the point as possible while not sounding like a lame excuse.

In other words, lie.

BTW lying wouldn't help anyway. Nobody cares about your lower second score, whether or not you have some sort of good excuse for it which obviously you don't (but again, nobody cares either way).

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:36 pm

Last edited by mrtux45 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:53 pm

No point in quibbling over whether one should write an addendum about this in the first instance. That's not the situation.

You've submitted your application and are considering e-mailing in an addendum to explain a fact you chose not to address when you submitted your app. It would take a hella compelling purpose to justify that, and it's unlikely any explanation that wasn't "someone robbed me that morning at gunpoint but I decided to take the test anyway" would be that compelling. Don't e-mail in an addendum to highlight something as otherwise under-the-radar as a six-point LSAT drop.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�