Low-end work experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lillelord

New

Low-end work experience

Postby lillelord » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Hey all or any who can help out with this.

I'm graduating pretty soon with two degrees, overall GPA of 3.45, LSAT of 171. I know I fucked up my chances at HYS, and probably my chances at CCN, but I'm wondering how important actual high end professional work experience is? From day one of college I've been working 40-60 hours a week in a lower income service job to pay my bills and stuff, I've held this same job for 4 years because it's steady and easy and pays for my tuition and rent. I'm just worried a college will look at my work experience and think that I'm purposefully underachieving or settling for less or didn't have any legal background. As far as softs go, that's about the only thing I've got besides being involved in student government.

Do law schools care about having professional level experience? Should I write an addendum about my GPA? thanks for your time-

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: Low-end work experience

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Won't hurt, just like working as a paralegal won't help.

No adcomm is going to look down on your job, especially since you're doing it during school. No one expects you to be working at an investment bank to pay your way through undergrad.

And unless your GPA resulted from medical issues, then do not write an addendum.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:57 pm

lillelord wrote:Hey all or any who can help out with this.

I'm graduating pretty soon with two degrees, overall GPA of 3.45, LSAT of 171. I know I fucked up my chances at HYS, and probably my chances at CCN, but I'm wondering how important actual high end professional work experience is? From day one of college I've been working 40-60 hours a week in a lower income service job to pay my bills and stuff, I've held this same job for 4 years because it's steady and easy and pays for my tuition and rent. I'm just worried a college will look at my work experience and think that I'm purposefully underachieving or settling for less or didn't have any legal background. As far as softs go, that's about the only thing I've got besides being involved in student government.

Do law schools care about having professional level experience? Should I write an addendum about my GPA? thanks for your time-

I honestly think you're still in the running for CCN. I know a bunch of people with similar scores get in, non-URM.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:24 pm

lillelord wrote:Hey all or any who can help out with this.

Your GPA is right below a 3.5, but you have a great LSAT score. I don't think you're necessarily out of the running for CCN, and I think you should definitely apply.

Your work experience is ultimately a soft factor. Having spent time working outside of undergrad is nice, but it's not nearly as important as your numbers. Maybe you could leverage your work experience into strong material to write your personal statement on? I don't think any admissions committee will look down on you working full-time during college.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�