How do my softs stack up? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
circle.the.wagons

Bronze

How do my softs stack up?

Post by circle.the.wagons » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:24 pm

Last edited by circle.the.wagons on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Re: How do my softs stack up?

Post by Mr. Archer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:26 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote: no volunteer experience or anything
This doesn't matter.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:52 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:Just curious if anyone has input on my soft measures... I genuinely don't know how I stack up and was wondering how you all felt.

-STEM major
-2 years of engineering work experience when I start ls
-Passed the patent bar
-9 months of internship experience at a major tech company
-4 years in my 25/hr week engineering club, jr year I was treasurer and senior I would have been president but I took a semester off to work at aforementioned internship
-i worked two different 20/hr week jobs over 3 years of college (not at the same time)

I think that's all of it.

Kind of worried that I'll be dinged for no volunteer experience or anything. Curious if this could be considered an impressive or strong application. Thanks.
Don't worry about it, I had almost no softs and so far it hasn't been an issue in the slightest. Kill the LSAT and write a decent PS/optional essays and the rest will fall into place.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:20 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:Just curious if anyone has input on my soft measures... I genuinely don't know how I stack up and was wondering how you all felt.

-STEM major
-Passed the patent bar
-4 years in my 25/hr week engineering club, jr year I was treasurer and senior I would have been president but I took a semester off to work at aforementioned internship
-i worked two different 20/hr week jobs over 3 years of college (not at the same time)

Kind of worried that I'll be dinged for no volunteer experience or anything. Curious if this could be considered an impressive or strong application. Thanks.
Softs aren't very important in the scheme of things. Your LSAT and GPA determine most of your admissions potential, which is why there are many students who get into top law schools with very little work experience. It simply isn't valued that highly. Not to put you down, of course - your softs are definitely a plus, and could give you the edge you need if your numbers are on the borderline for the schools you want to attend. But ultimately, focus on getting as high an LSAT score as possible!
Last edited by Blueprint Mithun on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:28 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:

-STEM major
-Passed the patent bar

Your softs are pretty impressive! Having a STEM major and experience working as an engineer will definitely help you stand out. Also, it's good that you spent 4 years working for your engineering club - it's better to spend more time at a single or a few places than spreading yourself thin.

However, softs aren't very important in the scheme of things. Your LSAT and GPA determine most of your admissions potential, which is why there are many students who get into top law schools with very little work experience. It simply isn't valued that highly. Not to put you down, of course - your softs are definitely a plus, and could give you the edge you need if your numbers are on the borderline for the schools you want to attend. But ultimately, focus on getting as high an LSAT score as possible!
This is wrong. On the soft end, these are pretty meh. Work experience is always good and passing the patent bar is as well. But as far as soft strengths, meh.

These will not help or hurt you in admissions. You will get into places that you would expect given whatever your numbers are. Your admissions will be predicated 99.5% based on lsat and gpa. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:36 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:Having a STEM major ...will definitely help you stand out.
According to who? I have never seen anyone say that majors play any role whatsoever in admissions. Can you share where you've found this info?

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:22 pm

grades?? wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

-STEM major
-Passed the patent bar

Your softs are pretty impressive! Having a STEM major and experience working as an engineer will definitely help you stand out. Also, it's good that you spent 4 years working for your engineering club - it's better to spend more time at a single or a few places than spreading yourself thin.

However, softs aren't very important in the scheme of things. Your LSAT and GPA determine most of your admissions potential, which is why there are many students who get into top law schools with very little work experience. It simply isn't valued that highly. Not to put you down, of course - your softs are definitely a plus, and could give you the edge you need if your numbers are on the borderline for the schools you want to attend. But ultimately, focus on getting as high an LSAT score as possible!
This is wrong. On the soft end, these are pretty meh. Work experience is always good and passing the patent bar is as well. But as far as soft strengths, meh.

These will not help or hurt you in admissions. You will get into places that you would expect given whatever your numbers are. Your admissions will be predicated 99.5% based on lsat and gpa. Good luck!
Is this true? I have pretty meh softs and I was talking to one of my professors and he said something along the lines of "you've got the high GPA but your softs aren't very strong. If I was on an admissions committee I would take the applicant with a lower GPA and things like debate team over one with a higher GPA but not extra curriculars like that." I was sitting there thinking he was full of shit based on everything I've read on here, but it kinda worried me because I didn't know why he would say that if it wasn't true.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:29 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

-STEM major
-Passed the patent bar

Is this true? I have pretty meh softs and I was talking to one of my professors and he said something along the lines of "you've got the high GPA but your softs aren't very strong. If I was on an admissions committee I would take the applicant with a lower GPA and things like debate team over one with a higher GPA but not extra curriculars like that." I was sitting there thinking he was full of shit based on everything I've read on here, but it kinda worried me because I didn't know why he would say that if it wasn't true.
Your professor is full of shit, unless this is some TTTT school. Literally all that matters is LSAT, GPA, and URM status. The softs that have bumps? Rhodes Scholar (but the handful all end up at Yale), olympic athlete, a pulitzer, and maybe a silver star special forces officer. Otherwise softs literally don't matter.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:02 pm

grades?? wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

-STEM major
-Passed the patent bar

Your professor is full of shit, unless this is some TTTT school. Literally all that matters is LSAT, GPA, and URM status. The softs that have bumps? Rhodes Scholar (but the handful all end up at Yale), olympic athlete, a pulitzer, and maybe a silver star special forces officer. Otherwise softs literally don't matter.
Okay good, thanks. Idk why professors peddle bullshit like that. Kids that are more impressionable are gonna be like "well he's a professor so he knows more than people on the Internet" and then load up on extra curriculars at the expense of their GPA. This was one of the "top" professors in my department too so you'd think he would be better informed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:31 pm

blackmamba8 wrote: Okay good, thanks. Idk why professors peddle bullshit like that. Kids that are more impressionable are gonna be like "well he's a professor so he knows more than people on the Internet" and then load up on extra curriculars at the expense of their GPA. This was one of the "top" professors in my department too so you'd think he would be better informed.
In your professor's defense, he was never a law student (I'm guessing). So he probably thinks that the admissions process is closer to the undergraduate process (or even the normal grad school process), which is not even close to what law school admissions looks like.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:15 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote: Okay good, thanks. Idk why professors peddle bullshit like that. Kids that are more impressionable are gonna be like "well he's a professor so he knows more than people on the Internet" and then load up on extra curriculars at the expense of their GPA. This was one of the "top" professors in my department too so you'd think he would be better informed.
In your professor's defense, he was never a law student (I'm guessing). So he probably thinks that the admissions process is closer to the undergraduate process (or even the normal grad school process), which is not even close to what law school admissions looks like.
Yeah that's true. I don't think he's doing it maliciously or anything like that. I just personally won't give advice to people about something if I don't have experience with it to avoid giving them wrong advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”