U Chicago Interview - 2016/2017 Cycle

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
argos93

New

U Chicago Interview - 2016/2017 Cycle

Postby argos93 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Hello,

Has anyone else had an interview for this cycle with University Chicago and were you asked a question about "what the election has meant to you." I found the question very strange for an admissions interview especially given the divisiveness of this election.

Thanks

poptart123

Silver

Re: U Chicago Interview - 2016/2017 Cycle

Postby poptart123 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:13 pm

Yes, I have. It caught me off guard, but I think my answer was okay. How did you answer (content or strength-wise)?

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

argos93

New

Postby argos93 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:19 pm

poptart123 wrote:Yes, I have. It caught me off guard, but I think my answer was okay. How did you answer (content or strength-wise)?

I'm honestly a little worried because I lean more conservative. I answered very generally that I have people I love who supported Trump and who didn't, and I have been saddened and disheartened by the inability of BOTH SIDES to talk to each other. I also understand the general sentiment of resistance to elitism in DC.

I'm not looking to get in any political argument, but I am concerned about whether this is going to affect my admissions. It seems like an unfair question to ask that could lead to a lot of bias in the admissions process.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:23 pm

argos93 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:Yes, I have. It caught me off guard, but I think my answer was okay. How did you answer (content or strength-wise)?

I'm honestly a little worried because I lean more conservative. I answered very generally that I have people I love who supported Trump and who didn't, and I have been saddened and disheartened by the inability of BOTH SIDES to talk to each other. I also understand the general sentiment of resistance to elitism in DC.

I'm not looking to get in any political argument, but I am concerned about whether this is going to affect my admissions. It seems like an unfair question to ask that could lead to a lot of bias in the admissions process.

I was worried about my answer at first. However, I think if the rest of the interview was strong then you shouldn't worry too much. Also, you've already said what you've said; I know it's tough, but you try to not worry about something you cannot change.

bbridge

New

Postby bbridge » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:05 pm

argos93 wrote:

Current student. I think the question is brilliant for an admissions interview, and very "UChicago." In law school you'll often have to speak objectively and coherently about topics and issues that are very emotional. I think the question tests your ability to do this.

Also, UChicago is the last place you have to be worried about dinging you for your political beliefs. They absolutely love having a vigorous debate from BOTH SIDES. Both conservative and liberal student groups are well-represented and supported by the school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�