Older siblings attended college, still first gen?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
glockov

New

Older siblings attended college, still first gen?

Postby glockov » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:14 pm

My siblings and I are the first to attend college in our family. Since they are older than me and enrolled a couple years before I did, does that mean that I cannot put that I am the first in my immediate family to attend college?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Re: Older siblings attended college, still first gen?

Postby pleasesendhelp » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:15 pm

Edit: so for Berkeley you can say you are a first gen if neither of your parents went to college!
Last edited by pleasesendhelp on Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:17 pm

wait, I'm actually 99% sure you do still count as first generation. I'm honestly not as sure if the question asks if you're the "immediate first," but I'm mostly sure you are still a first generation student.

glockov

New

Postby glockov » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:09 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:wait, I'm actually 99% sure you do still count as first generation. I'm honestly not as sure if the question asks if you're the "immediate first," but I'm mostly sure you are still a first generation student.

My title is a little misleading. I am first gen, but some apps use the term "first in the immediate family," and I was wondering if siblings disqualified me from that.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:33 pm

I would think siblings are included in immediate family, since that's part of the common definition. That could be why different schools are using different questions. I can't say for sure though.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:41 pm

You are in the same generation of your family as your siblings (your parents are the previous generation, their parents before them), so you would still be a first generation college grad.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:54 am

glockov wrote:My siblings and I are the first to attend college in our family. Since they are older than me and enrolled a couple years before I did, does that mean that I cannot put that I am the first in my immediate family to attend college?

Well, if someone in your immediate family went to college before you, it sure sounds like you're not the first person in your immediate family to go to college.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�