Not Interviewing

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
swoonster

New

Not Interviewing

Postby swoonster » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:01 pm

Hello all,

A T20 school has the option to interview with an alum but I'm not all too fancy about this school. I don't want to commit too much time to preparing for the interview but at the same time I don't want to waste my chances of getting admitted. 164, 3.89 Is not interview automatically shooting myself in the foot?

echonov

New

Re: Not Interviewing

Postby echonov » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:49 pm

I'm not sure about the impact -- probably depends on the school -- but it certainly won't help you to opt out. What's the cost of doing it? I'm not sure why it would take much/any time to prepare -- just make sure you know something about the school and why you'd want to go there plus all the other stuff from your app (why LS, etc.). I'd say if getting to the interview wouldn't be inconvenient, why not do it? You liked the school well enough to apply, so you must at least be willing to consider it.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:37 am

swoonster wrote:Hello all,

A T20 school has the option to interview with an alum but I'm not all too fancy about this school. I don't want to commit too much time to preparing for the interview but at the same time I don't want to waste my chances of getting admitted. 164, 3.89 Is not interview automatically shooting myself in the foot?

Might look like you're not too interested; I think in that sense yes you might shoot yourself in the foot. Given that schools generally like to maintain higher matriculation rates, your "lack of enthusiasm" may be not a good sign.

SlippinJimmy

New

Postby SlippinJimmy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:28 am

Not necessarily a death knell if you don't. Got into Vandy and Georgetown in a previous cycle with borderline numbers despite rejecting their offer to interview.

toobig2lose

New

Postby toobig2lose » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:22 pm

It won't kill your chances. The biggest lost is losing an opportunity to raise your chances of getting in. I'll do it anyways for practice though.

mornincounselor

Silver

Postby mornincounselor » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:40 pm

I waited until just after the interview deadline to submit my app to Vandy. Didn't hurt at all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�