Letter Of Continued Interest

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RamTitan

Silver

Letter Of Continued Interest

Postby RamTitan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:10 pm

If someone was waitlisted at a school during the first week of November, when would a appropriate time be to submit a letter of continued interest?

Also (don't know if this is even relevant), apparently my GPA was not calculated correctly and LSAC is sending a report to all schools where my application is active. At the risk of sounding stupid, is it safe to assume that this school where I am waitlisted will see my updated GPA?

guynourmin

Gold

Re: Letter Of Continued Interest

Postby guynourmin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:57 pm

RamTitan wrote:is it safe to assume that this school where I am waitlisted will see my updated GPA?

They will definitely receive your updated GPA. I have no idea what mechanisms a school has in place to re-open applications they have already rendered a decision on when they receive an update from LSAC. I would not be surprised if it was different school-to-school, year-over-year. I would feel comfortable sending them an e-mail just saying you received notice from lsac that your gpa was calculated incorrectly and you thought it was appropriate to ask them if they would be made aware of the recalculation. I would be tempted to add a loci at that time, but I wouldn't - I would just add a couple sentences or so in the e-mail that showed interest, leaving the door open to send a first LOCI down the line.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:45 am

guybourdin wrote:
RamTitan wrote:is it safe to assume that this school where I am waitlisted will see my updated GPA?

They will definitely receive your updated GPA. I have no idea what mechanisms a school has in place to re-open applications they have already rendered a decision on when they receive an update from LSAC. I would not be surprised if it was different school-to-school, year-over-year. I would feel comfortable sending them an e-mail just saying you received notice from lsac that your gpa was calculated incorrectly and you thought it was appropriate to ask them if they would be made aware of the recalculation. I would be tempted to add a loci at that time, but I wouldn't - I would just add a couple sentences or so in the e-mail that showed interest, leaving the door open to send a first LOCI down the line.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the great advice. I just sent them an e-mail. I'm thinking maybe some time in December for a letter of continued interest, but still not entirely sure.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:12 pm

RamTitan wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Awesome! Thanks so much for the great advice. I just sent them an e-mail. I'm thinking maybe some time in December for a letter of continued interest, but still not entirely sure.

Yeah, its tough that you were WLd so early. I wouldn't know when to send one. I am sure I will be in this predicament soon enough, though! Not looking forward to the waitlists I know are coming as an extreme splitter...good luck!

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:49 pm

guybourdin wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Yeah, its tough that you were WLd so early. I wouldn't know when to send one. I am sure I will be in this predicament soon enough, though! Not looking forward to the waitlists I know are coming as an extreme splitter...good luck!

One more question - do you think it is necessary for me to reach out to all of the schools I applied to about my GPA? LSAC did say they were going to send an update report, so I'm not entirely sure if I should. But if a school was going to make a decision say like today or tomorrow, I'd like them to know about my GPA sooner rather than later.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:54 pm

RamTitan wrote:do you think it is necessary for me to reach out to all of the schools I applied to about my GPA? LSAC did say they were going to send an update report, so I'm not entirely sure if I should. But if a school was going to make a decision say like today or tomorrow, I'd like them to know about my GPA sooner rather than later.

I would not, but that's not to say you shouldn't.

I know they will receive an updated report (you can see this on LSAC: when you go to the individual app pages it will show you the time of recent transmissions). I don't think we know very much about the internal mechanisms of how a school receives an application, though.

I would say, you would not be doing anything wrong by sending a very short e-mail to every school letting them know your gpa was miscalculated and an updated report is being transmitted. It might be unnecessary, but I cannot imagine it would be seen as neurotic or over-stepping in any way. If you want to, I would not recommend against it.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:56 pm

RamTitan wrote:One more question.

just to make sure you know -- 0L here! I did apply last year, and have finished a dozen apps again this year (second LOR incoming...maybe...I am pretty sure, at least...), so I'm not totally inexperienced, but,you know, grain of salt and such. good luck!

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:01 pm

guybourdin wrote:
RamTitan wrote:do you think it is necessary for me to reach out to all of the schools I applied to about my GPA? LSAC did say they were going to send an update report, so I'm not entirely sure if I should. But if a school was going to make a decision say like today or tomorrow, I'd like them to know about my GPA sooner rather than later.

I would not, but that's not to say you shouldn't.

I know they will receive an updated report (you can see this on LSAC: when you go to the individual app pages it will show you the time of recent transmissions). I don't think we know very much about the internal mechanisms of how a school receives an application, though.

I would say, you would not be doing anything wrong by sending a very short e-mail to every school letting them know your gpa was miscalculated and an updated report is being transmitted. It might be unnecessary, but I cannot imagine it would be seen as neurotic or over-stepping in any way. If you want to, I would not recommend against it.

The report was sent out about a week ago, so I think I'll refrain (unless I get placed on another waitlist haha). Thanks for the advice though; I didn't even know about checking the report sent update.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:01 pm

guybourdin wrote:
RamTitan wrote:One more question.

just to make sure you know -- 0L here! I did apply last year, and have finished a dozen apps again this year (second LOR incoming...maybe...I am pretty sure, at least...), so I'm not totally inexperienced, but,you know, grain of salt and such. good luck!

It was good to get another perspective at the very least, and you gave me some information I didn't have before, so I'd say this was a successful thread haha

Lexaholik

Bronze

Postby Lexaholik » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:26 am

RamTitan wrote:If someone was waitlisted at a school during the first week of November, when would a appropriate time be to submit a letter of continued interest?

Also (don't know if this is even relevant), apparently my GPA was not calculated correctly and LSAC is sending a report to all schools where my application is active. At the risk of sounding stupid, is it safe to assume that this school where I am waitlisted will see my updated GPA?

My advice is to submit the LOCI as soon as possible. (I know this post is almost a month old so perhaps you already did.) The goal of the LOCI is to make sure you stay on top of their minds--you don't want to be lost in the stack. So sending in a LOCI every so often (e.g. once a month) could be helpful. Some people might think that's bad advice ("don't annoy the adcomms!"). To that I would say (1) always have a good reason for the update, even if it's somewhat manufactured ("I just received an award at my workplace); and (2) if you're deferred/WLed, the odds are pretty good that you'll be rejected so the downside of "annoying" adcomms is fairly limited. Just my two cents.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:22 pm

Lexaholik wrote:
RamTitan wrote:If someone was waitlisted at a school during the first week of November, when would a appropriate time be to submit a letter of continued interest?

My advice is to submit the LOCI as soon as possible. (I know this post is almost a month old so perhaps you already did.) The goal of the LOCI is to make sure you stay on top of their minds--you don't want to be lost in the stack. So sending in a LOCI every so often (e.g. once a month) could be helpful. Some people might think that's bad advice ("don't annoy the adcomms!"). To that I would say (1) always have a good reason for the update, even if it's somewhat manufactured ("I just received an award at my workplace); and (2) if you're deferred/WLed, the odds are pretty good that you'll be rejected so the downside of "annoying" adcomms is fairly limited. Just my two cents.

That's pretty interesting. I was definitely planning on sending one in the beginning of January since it would be after the holidays and they wouldn't forget about me. I was going to tell them I plan on sitting for the June LSAT. Is there an official format I should use (like "Dear Dean" such and such), or can I just clearly state my intent on a word doc?

Lexaholik

Bronze

Postby Lexaholik » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:05 am

RamTitan wrote:That's pretty interesting. I was definitely planning on sending one in the beginning of January since it would be after the holidays and they wouldn't forget about me. I was going to tell them I plan on sitting for the June LSAT. Is there an official format I should use (like "Dear Dean" such and such), or can I just clearly state my intent on a word doc?

Others can feel free to chime in about format, but I don't think it matters a ton. If I were to do it this today, I would create a Word doc and convert to PDF, and e-mail it to the relevant admissions people with the attachment. As for content, it doesn't matter a whole lot as long as you convey your interest, and your reason for the update. (I've got a link on my TLS profile to the LOCI that got me into NU years ago.)

LOCIs are an underrated way to distinguish yourself in the admissions game. Most applicants send in one or two letters and don't really think strategically about them. The key is to make sure you use the LOCI follow up game for *every* law school you're interested in, and are waitlisted/deferred at. You never know who will bite.

When I applied, I was WLed at Penn, Duke, and NU and did a LOCI campaign with each of them without knowing if it would work at all. As a splitter, these were all reach schools. I remember I even sent in a faxed LOCI to NU to hopefully get their attention (assuming they got a ton of e-mails). That faxed LOCI was the last one I'd ever send. A couple days later, I received an e-mail from NU--I was accepted off the WL!

Did my LOCI play a role in getting me in? I'll never know for sure. But the timing seemed so impeccable that I have to believe that it did. I've always thought that they were doing their latest round of WL->acceptances, and my app made its way to the top of the consider pile because I stayed on top of their mind.

Good luck.

Earlskies

Bronze

Postby Earlskies » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:34 am

FWIW I reached out to the school I'm waitlisted and asked about the format for a LOCI. They asked that I email it as a PDF attachment as to avoid any potential delays.

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't wait too long to submit a LOCI. Yes you risk annoying admissions, but I believe you run the larger risk of having your seat taken if you wait.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Lexaholik wrote:
RamTitan wrote:That's pretty interesting. I was definitely planning on sending one in the beginning of January since it would be after the holidays and they wouldn't forget about me. I was going to tell them I plan on sitting for the June LSAT. Is there an official format I should use (like "Dear Dean" such and such), or can I just clearly state my intent on a word doc?

Others can feel free to chime in about format, but I don't think it matters a ton. If I were to do it this today, I would create a Word doc and convert to PDF, and e-mail it to the relevant admissions people with the attachment. As for content, it doesn't matter a whole lot as long as you convey your interest, and your reason for the update. (I've got a link on my TLS profile to the LOCI that got me into NU years ago.)

LOCIs are an underrated way to distinguish yourself in the admissions game. Most applicants send in one or two letters and don't really think strategically about them. The key is to make sure you use the LOCI follow up game for *every* law school you're interested in, and are waitlisted/deferred at. You never know who will bite.

When I applied, I was WLed at Penn, Duke, and NU and did a LOCI campaign with each of them without knowing if it would work at all. As a splitter, these were all reach schools. I remember I even sent in a faxed LOCI to NU to hopefully get their attention (assuming they got a ton of e-mails). That faxed LOCI was the last one I'd ever send. A couple days later, I received an e-mail from NU--I was accepted off the WL!

Did my LOCI play a role in getting me in? I'll never know for sure. But the timing seemed so impeccable that I have to believe that it did. I've always thought that they were doing their latest round of WL->acceptances, and my app made its way to the top of the consider pile because I stayed on top of their mind.

Good luck.

Awesome! I'm writing my first update as we speak, and will check out your letter. Though I have to ask, why a PDF instead of a word document?

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Earlskies wrote:FWIW I reached out to the school I'm waitlisted and asked about the format for a LOCI. They asked that I email it as a PDF attachment as to avoid any potential delays.

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't wait too long to submit a LOCI. Yes you risk annoying admissions, but I believe you run the larger risk of having your seat taken if you wait.

Why a PDF instead of a word document?

Earlskies

Bronze

Postby Earlskies » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:38 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Earlskies wrote:FWIW I reached out to the school I'm waitlisted and asked about the format for a LOCI. They asked that I email it as a PDF attachment as to avoid any potential delays.

It prevents formatting issues.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Earlskies wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

It prevents formatting issues.

Should I just send it to general admissions office e-mail (I'll wait on faxing it haha)?

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:43 pm

Also, does once a month work, or should I be more/less aggressive?

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:51 pm

RamTitan wrote:Also, does once a month work, or should I be more/less aggressive?

I sent one everytime i had something to update them with by basically saying "here's my update, also I remain interested."

if you have no update, i'd wait until later (like 02/2017). they aren't going to be pulling from the WL just yet so don't waste your time and come off as redundant.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�