C&F Issue? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LesPaul1995

Bronze

C&F Issue?

Post by LesPaul1995 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Last edited by LesPaul1995 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Re: C&F Issue?

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:54 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:How big of a deal is an expunged record of shoplifting to a T14? Obviously I'm disclosing, I'm just curious of how much of a difference this will make having it happened over 5 years ago. I am a splitter; 3.45 177+. Is HYS going to be more offputt than say CCN , MVP, GULC etc. Thanks.
I know on authority that it won't matter, but requires an addendum and disclosure of course. Well, not at all the schools. Read he C&F question carefully. Either way, it doesn't affect your application

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:22 pm

Last edited by LesPaul1995 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:27 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:How big of a deal is an expunged record of shoplifting to a T14? Obviously I'm disclosing, I'm just curious of how much of a difference this will make having it happened over 5 years ago. I am a splitter; 3.45 177+. Is HYS going to be more offputt than say CCN , MVP, GULC etc. Thanks.
I know on authority that it won't matter, but requires an addendum and disclosure of course. Well, not at all the schools. Read he C&F question carefully. Either way, it doesn't affect your application
Would shoplifting charge under 18 that is expunged qualify as a minor disclosure I assume, in comparison to a major disclosure I.e. Felony?
I can't say for sure. I can only comment on shoplifting. Even if you were 18 at the time, but it was expunged or whatnot, it won't negatively impact you. If you were gonna get into the school if it never happened, you'll get in. If you don't it's not gonna be because of this issue. I never discuss it using the terms minor or major, but if you're comparing between petit larceny (misdemeanor) as opposed to grand larceny (felony), yes the expunged case would be considered minor.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:40 pm

Ask a c&f attorney how this will affect your admission to the bar where you want to practice and what you can do to improve your chances at admission. Tbh shoplifting is the kind of crime that reflects pretty badly on someones character so I would be worried and would do everything in my power to minimize its effect on my career.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:19 am

Last edited by LesPaul1995 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:39 am

LesPaul1995 wrote:
mvp99 wrote:Ask a c&f attorney how this will affect your admission to the bar where you want to practice and what you can do to improve your chances at admission. Tbh shoplifting is the kind of crime that reflects pretty badly on someones character so I would be worried and would do everything in my power to minimize its effect on my career.
Even if it was 5+ years ago and I was a minor it would be considered a decision factor in applying to schools? That is what I'm worried about.

You'll be fine, man. Don't hire a C&F attorney. Maybe an admissions consultant (Spivey or someone) to get the correct wording, but you'll be fine like the guy above me said. Disclose and take responsibility. I know people who are in law schools right now who were arrested for far worse.

You likely won't be rejected from anywhere you wouldn't have anyways.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:24 pm

I agree that you don't need to hire a lawyer, but to say it's a non-issue is misleading. From a bar admission standpoint, theft is more scrutinized than any other type of honesty offense. Over 90% of lawyer disciplinary issues are attorney-client disputes about money. Even among people with a history of cheating or lying, having a history of honesty with money can prevent them from being delayed. Law schools are also communities of trust. One of the few things great about law school culture is that you can leave valuables without having to worry about them being stolen.

You probably won't be denied anywhere solely on this issue, but C&F issues in both admissions and bar admission are incredibly subjective. In both situations, the reviewer is inevitably going to ask themselves, "Do you present risk?" From your vantage point, any experience being trusted with money will benefit you. It's not something I'd call out in writing, because that would seem odd and forced. However, if you were, say a manager at a fast food joint or something one summer, it would be in your interest to subtly highlight anything that involved you handling someone else's money in an honest fashion.

There's not really any kind of due process. If someone doesn't trust you they will reject you. This is why there's such a dearth about C&F. Both law schools and the bar like having the ability to analyze everything on a case by case basis with 0 precedent. The way to make this a total non-issue is to make the person think you're trustworthy on their own using only your application, resume and addendum. This is more of an art than anything else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”