(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Houzy

New

Postby Houzy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:21 am

Last edited by Houzy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

btruj777

Bronze

Re: Tell me what you think of this typo

Postby btruj777 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:34 am

This is a hard situation to be in. How long ago has this been sent?

If you have more schools to apply to obvs. change it now.

Its either the case that the school already read it and knows of the error, in which case sending the updated version shows that you are aware that this was a typo and you want to clear it up. (As to how it speaks to you as a person idk, maybe they like you owning up to it or maybe they say this is something you should have done earlier). Maybe they read it and do not care.

Or it is the case that they read it and did not see it or notice it (it took me two tries to find it), at which case sending the update just puts them on notice of the error.

It seems like in both situations sending in the letter puts them on notice of the error - is it the case that you being upfront is more positive than negative? IDK :/

However, is there a slight chance they didnt even catch the error? Yes. In this case do we want to put them on notice? No. How soon into the reading does this error come into play? It sounds like its towards the end?

Houzy

New

Postby Houzy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:38 am

Last edited by Houzy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Don't resubmit because of a typo. It is what it is, try not to stress about it.

People may not even notice it. And you probably won't get any credit for "owning up to it." I guess its possible if you just sent your apps in that it might be substituted before anyone reads it, but I think resubmitting would do more harm than good.

Houzy

New

Postby Houzy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:31 pm

Last edited by Houzy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:12 pm

This is why I didn't look at my ps again after I submitted apps lol; that kind of anxiety would kill me

I don't think the typo is that big of a deal...really can't imagine a reasonable person would deny a "qualified" applicant on that basis, but then again, I'm not in admissions so my opinion is worth little.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Postby hopefuljumbo23 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:36 pm

I made a typo in one of my applications confusing "collegial" with "collegiate." I said the school was collegiate or something like that... I remember reading it afterwards and feeling so stupid. Like OBVIOUSLY it's collegiate... it's a COLLEGE!

I didn't contact them because I thought that would seem neurotic. And whaddya know... they accepted me and I'm here right now! :)

Christinabruin

Bronze

Postby Christinabruin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:53 pm

It actually took me three tries to see the error! I probably wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out. At least it's not a glaring error (such as substituting a different name for another law school). I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Paul Campos

Silver

Postby Paul Campos » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:01 pm

The difference between the best PS ever written and copying and pasting the first two pages of the Unibomber manifesto isn't equivalent to a one-point difference on the LSAT.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:31 pm

Paul Campos wrote:The difference between the best PS ever written and copying and pasting the first two pages of the Unibomber manifesto isn't equivalent to a one-point difference on the LSAT.

As someone who's still obsessively tweaking his PS, I'm not sure if this is a huge relief or utterly depressing.

Thanks anyway Sir Campos.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�